A Interesting and Scientific Take on Monitor Displays for Editing

Sabachii

So I was on YouTube looking for a video editing monitor to buy and I came across this comment in the comment section of this video 

The monitor he's talking about in the video is so expensive my god, anyways the comment said:

"I'm a video engineer, and recommend & specify monitors for clients in industrial and broadcast television. The advice is pretty good, but some of the reasons may not be what you'd think. Back in the day it was CRT monitors, and as long as you got a monitor with the correct phosphors, you could adjust it to the correct color response using the old "blue bars" method. Today you need to make sure that your monitor is 100% capable of reproducing the color gamut and dynamic range that you work with, be it Rec.709, Rec.2020, DCI P3, Adobe or whatever. Let's look at the points one by one: IPS - OLED is still alive and kicking, but IPS is best for LCD. Wide Angle - (that's a matter of personal choice) Matte - That's a good start, but lighting design in your edit suite should be designed to keep glare to a minimum to begin with. Because most standards use the same 6500 Kelvin white point, paying some attention to this in your room lighting (at least in the backdrop, which should be 50% gray referenced to 6500K) with regard to colorimetry can save you a lot of frustration when calibrating the monitor itself. 4K UHD / 32" - I put these together because this is the current dividing line between monitors that can and monitors that can't do professional colorimetry. You might be able to snag a QHD 27" screen that's 99% of what you need to save a few bucks, but for a long term investment you're better off making 32" and UHD your floor. If you work in true DCI resolutions, then you can decide if greater than UHD is worthwhile, but for the rest of us it's the point where the monitors start coming with more 100% color gamut certifications and self-calibration tools w/ the ability to store 3D LUTs internally for the calibration. Aspect Ratio - (that's a matter of personal choice) Lots of colors / Accurate colors - Although more is better, you could spend a whole lot of money trying to get 100% of Adobe RGB color space. If all you do is publish ephemeral 8-bit web videos, that's like burning $100 bills. The color space of most computers is sRGB, which is similar (but not identical) to Rec.709, so a computer monitor that's 100% Rec.709 compatible is also 100% sRGB compatible. All computer monitors use sRGB color space, not all use all of sRGB color space, so you'll never see a "100% sRGB compatible" label. If you produce video content for computers, the Internet or broadcast TV, you'll want 100% Rec.709 to get the full color gamut that sRGB and Rec.709 share. If you shoot / edit TV content, choose Rec.709 for your final cut. Same thing for DCI and Rec.2020. I presume that people who make movies that are shown in theaters on digital cinema gear know what settings to use, and those who know that their content is going straight to OTT also know and don't need to be told. Bright / HDR / Contrast Ratio - These are all versions of the same thing. Yes, a brighter monitor is useful in a brighter room. Brightness is also what gives you greater dynamic range (because once you hit black there's no extension that way), and "contrast ratio" is just a way of expressing dynamic range in numbers. If you're making HDR content, read the relevant standard(s) for your medium and choose a monitor that meets the HDR standard that you work with. Blue filter - There are better ways to maintain healthy sleep patterns. If you're spending all this time and money to get accurate color reproduction, don't throw it all away with some trendy feature! Stop working well before bedtime. If you work at an office, include the drive home and any other stimulating activities as "work." Give yourself plenty of time to wind down before bed. Adjust the color balance of your ambient lighting to help you wind down and promote sleep; I use Hyperikon CRI90+ 2700K LED bulbs inside and out for this purpose, and I keep them really dim after dark. Don't use personal devices like cellphones and tablets before bedtime, and abstain from alcohol because while it may knock you out, it interferes with sleep. If you must, create a separate LUT or color profile on your computer to limit the brightness / blue level of your monitor. Design - (that's a matter of personal choice)"

Can anyone tell me what he is talking about lmao I understand some of it but some of the terms he uses throws me off. I want to learn and he hasn't responded to any of the comments he's gotten. 

Show less