My first time with ARGB fans (motherboard+case compatibility)

Aldamien

Hi guys, here's my problem:

I'm building a couple of PCs, a new one for me and another one for my daughter using all the leftovers from my current computer. The thing is, I want to use illuminated fans and although I'm not new to building, this will be my first time using ARGB/RGB fans. 

The motherboard I currently have is the Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H DDR3, and the new one I'm buying is the B450M-DS3H (yes, I currently use Intel but my new one will use an AMD CPU), also from Gigabyte. As for the cases, I'm using 2 black darkFlash DLM21, so I'll go for x5 120mm fans. 

So... here are my questions: 

1. Do I really want ARGB, or is RGB okay if I just need this generic rainbow effect or soft pink for my daughter? My own PC will definitely use a single color.

2. Are these motherboards I mentioned compatible with ARGB/RGB fans? Please let me know how—if possible—can I set RGB/ARGB fans with my GA-B150M-D3H DDR3, and which one should I buy if the B450M-DS3H is not good for RGB/ARGB fans (my budget is tight, so cheaper yet compatible and quality micro ATX options are welcome!). 

3. (If ARGB is good to go) Will I be able to use these Cooler Master SickleFlow ARGB fans? If you have better/cheaper options***, or RGB is more than enough for my needs, please let me know that too! We won't be changing the light colors/pattern, so I'm okay with those that use a remote control instead of software (just in case you want to check the fans' colors could match the kb/m, I'm using an Alloy Core RGB keyboard and Pulsefire Core mouse, both from HyperX).

4. I want x3 RGB/ARGB in the front (intake) so the case looks good and symetrical, plus x2 generic black fans on the back-top (exhaust). Is this configuration okay, or would you place the fans differently for better airflow?

*** Please consider I live in South America, so I can only buy things from Amazon, eBay or Walmart.

I think that's all, but if there's anything I'm not taking into consideration, feel free to let me know! Thank you very much!

Hey I recommend going with this board instead, non of those supports support ARGB, and you need to spend maybe an extra $20 to get it. If you want a good bang for your buck board. I recommend this https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-B450M-Promontory-CrossFireX-Motherboard/dp/B07MV9BMNY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ASRock+B450M+Steel+Legend&qid=1604037875&sr=8-1 

The cool thing about ARGB is that you can daisy chain the fans. Also I use the Cooler Master SickleFlow ARGB Fans, they will be perfect for your build. You may need a fan hub in order to plug in all yours fans.

The geek himself.

Thanks for your reply, Dawson!

ASRock B450M it is! As for my current build, changing the GA-B150M-D3H DDR3 (and I still need to find an equivalent micro-ATX 1151 with ARGB support) would also mean I need to change my memory sticks since DDR3L is not the most popular RAM option and I won't be able to reutilize them with a different motherboard. 

As for the hub, I guess I'll go with the Cooler Master fan controller. And since you own the SF120 too, I have one more question: do I need to buy the 3in1 pack with the small controller, or can I just ignore that remote and buy 3 separate ARGB fans and save some money? I think if the motherboard supports ARGB then I can use software instead of a remote controller... if that's what it is (I'm not even sure lol).  

9 hours ago, Aldamien said:

Thanks for your reply, Dawson!

ASRock B450M it is! As for my current build, changing the GA-B150M-D3H DDR3 (and I still need to find an equivalent micro-ATX 1151 with ARGB support) would also mean I need to change my memory sticks since DDR3L is not the most popular RAM option and I won't be able to reutilize them with a different motherboard. 

As for the hub, I guess I'll go with the Cooler Master fan controller. And since you own the SF120 too, I have one more question: do I need to buy the 3in1 pack with the small controller, or can I just ignore that remote and buy 3 separate ARGB fans and save some money? I think if the motherboard supports ARGB then I can use software instead of a remote controller... if that's what it is (I'm not even sure lol).  

i think 1151 is too old for rgb mb headers.

you can connect some rgb controller with usb 2.0 so just about any pc can have software control for rgb. as long as your os runs the software that is...

imo mb rgb suxs balls.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

hold up let me go back. run run like hell when it comes to rgb....

so you want to rgb eh? well it can get expensive and complex fast.

imo is to buy a strip and hook that up to see even if you like it or like the software before you go NUTS with it.

oh and rgb uses 12v 4 pins just like rgb leds and will be a solid color meing each led will have the same color no mater what. addressable rgb will let you make each led its own color and uses 5v and 3/4 pins. but they also work with a pwm and some argb is not compatible with each other. then we have to have that talk about connectors.... the complex part.

if you buy a kit or stick with company then you should be fine...SHOULD!

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links