Enabling XMP causes CMOS fail

en1gMATIC
Go to solution Solved by thermalgoop,
1 hour ago, en1gMATIC said:

The computer has been running fine for quite a while, 

Had it previously been booting with XMP on? Or did you turn it on, and now it can't boot? 

If the former, the IMC on your chip may have degraded from being run right around where its limit is, and you can try manually setting the highest freq it can run. You may be able to tighten up some timings at the lower speed, to claw back some performance. But yeah, 1000 series had kinda weak IMCs compared to later Ryzen chips. Big reason why it took until 3000 for Ryzen to really start to compete with Intel, because the mem speed affects a lot more on Zen than Intel. 

The computer has been running fine for quite a while, but for some reaspn today it decided to say "cmos fail" and reset the bios settings any time I try to boot with xmp enabled.

Edit: this message appears on the one american megatrends screen when booting

Specs:

r5 1600

Biostar x370gtn

G.skill ripjaws 2x8 3600mhz kit

1600 and 1600af have weak IMC, You're lucky if you can get XMP to work out of the box at 3000-3200mhz, let alone 3600. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, en1gMATIC said:

The computer has been running fine for quite a while, but for some reaspn today it decided to say "cmos fail" and reset the bios settings any time I try to boot with xmp enabled.

Edit: this message appears on the one american megatrends screen when booting

Specs:

r5 1600

Biostar x370gtn

G.skill ripjaws 2x8 3600mhz kit

Even my 1700X can't do 3600 MHz. Try manually setting 3200 MHz.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 hour ago, en1gMATIC said:

The computer has been running fine for quite a while, 

Had it previously been booting with XMP on? Or did you turn it on, and now it can't boot? 

If the former, the IMC on your chip may have degraded from being run right around where its limit is, and you can try manually setting the highest freq it can run. You may be able to tighten up some timings at the lower speed, to claw back some performance. But yeah, 1000 series had kinda weak IMCs compared to later Ryzen chips. Big reason why it took until 3000 for Ryzen to really start to compete with Intel, because the mem speed affects a lot more on Zen than Intel. 

19 minutes ago, thermalgoop said:

Yeah its been running with xmp on

That kinda sucks might be upgrading soon then