b450m ds3h fan header

EyeAyEn

So I'm getting a fan splitter for the Gigabyte b450m ds3h because it only has 1 case fan header, and I was wondering if anyone knew how much power is allowed to go through that one header, I don't want to cause damage to my motherboard. Thank you

8 minutes ago, EyeAyEn said:

So I'm getting a fan splitter for the Gigabyte b450m ds3h because it only has 1 case fan header, and I was wondering if anyone knew how much power is allowed to go through that one header, I don't want to cause damage to my motherboard. Thank you

Typically 1 amp or so, but board manual should say for sure.

So, 2-3 fans via splitter should be fine. More than that will depend on the power of the fans.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

9 minutes ago, EyeAyEn said:

the header can support 2 amps 

In general, don't try to draw more than 1A through a single fan header.

If you need more than that, you can get a powered splitter. They power via a connection (usually molex, but can also be sata) to the PSU, but connect to the MB for PWM and RPM control signals.

9 minutes ago, petabyte2.0 said:

the header can support 2 amps 

So would 2 of these be fine? Grabbing them from my brothers older computer, it'll be these 2 + the phanteks p300 eclipse stock fan

1603995357761296332153.jpg

11 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Typically 1 amp or so, but board manual should say for sure.

So, 2-3 fans via splitter should be fine. More than that will depend on the power of the fans.

Motherboard manual give no information is like 2 pages and can you give your opinion on what I sent to petabyte

1 minute ago, EyeAyEn said:

Motherboard manual give no information is like 2 pages and can you give your opinion on what I sent to petabyte

Yeah, looked it up as well and didn't find anything.

Since 1 amp is the guide I've always heard I would only plug in two of the fans pictured above since they would be 0.8 amp combined. Adding the stock fan in addition to those (so three fans total) MAY bring it over 1 amp, but I don't know what the stock fan is rated for.

Would it likely be fine? Yeah, especially since the amperage on the fan is for 100 percent speed which you aren't likely to run them at anyways. If it were me, however, I'd stick with two fans or move to a fan hub that's powered directly from the PSU via molex.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

3 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Yeah, looked it up as well and didn't find anything.

Since 1 amp is the guide I've always heard I would only plug in two of the fans pictured above since they would be 0.8 amp combined. Adding the stock fan in addition to those (so three fans total) MAY bring it over 1 amp, but I don't know what the stock fan is rated for.

Would it likely be fine? Yeah, especially since the amperage on the fan is for 100 percent speed which you aren't likely to run them at anyways. If it were me, however, I'd stick with two fans or move to a fan hub that's powered directly from the PSU via molex.

yeah well my system is never really used that much, it has a problem with gpu and cpu usage and never goes above like 40% for both, I think I could get away with three. I'll see though, is 1 intake and 1 outtake enough?

2 minutes ago, EyeAyEn said:

is 1 intake and 1 outtake enough?

Likely, but entirely depends on what case you're using and your hardware configuration internally.

I say likely because despite the love for ALL THE FANS!!! most builds work just fine with 1 intake and 1 exhaust.

1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

Likely, but entirely depends on what case you're using and your hardware configuration internally.

I say likely because despite the love for ALL THE FANS!!! most builds work just fine with 1 intake and 1 exhaust.

I have an rx 5600 xt and ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler, the 5600 xt has 3 fans connexted to it

I have an rx 5600 xt and ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler, the 5600 xt has 3 fans connexted to it

I should have put more emphasis on the case question since that's what matters most for airflow.

Regardless, try it with two. If temps are high then try with three and speed limit them via BIOS if you're worried about them running full speed off one header.

Don't overthink it too much.

Just now, RAS_3885 said:

I should have put more emphasis on the case question since that's what matters most for airflow.

Regardless, try it with two. If temps are high then try with three and speed limit them via BIOS if you're worried about them running full speed off one header.

Don't overthink it too much.

Alright thanks, you think theres a way to see in bios how many elecvtricity my current stock fan is using? like what its max is at 100%

4 minutes ago, EyeAyEn said:

Alright thanks, you think theres a way to see in bios how many elecvtricity my current stock fan is using? like what its max is at 100%

As far as I'm aware no motherboard has power monitoring on the fan headers. Just assume 100 percent speed gives you the amp rating on the fan.

Just now, RAS_3885 said:

As far as I'm aware no motherboard has power monitoring on the fan headers. Just assume 100 percent speed gives you the amp rating on the fan.

no i just wanna know what my stock fan takes, so I know if its below or above .4 its a 120mm

no i just wanna know what my stock fan takes, so I know if its below or above .4 its a 120mm

0.08 amps per Phanteks website for their PH-F120SP 120 mm case fan, which is my best guess of what comes stock in your case. Product page only says "premium" 120 mm fan, so I took a guess.

13 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

0.08 amps per Phanteks website for their PH-F120SP 120 mm case fan, which is my best guess of what comes stock in your case. Product page only says "premium" 120 mm fan, so I took a guess.

0.08? so i should be abkle to have 3?

and I have a cpu fan header, cant i put a splitter to that and connect cpu fan and normal case fan?

5 minutes ago, EyeAyEn said:

0.08? so i should be abkle to have 3?

and I have a cpu fan header, cant i put a splitter to that and connect cpu fan and normal case fan?

If I guessed the model of the stock fan correctly, then yes, you can use all three without issue.

You can also use a splitter on the CPU header if you'd like. It will simply be controlled to the same speed as the CPU fan attached to the cooler.

Just now, RAS_3885 said:

If I guessed the model of the stock fan correctly, then yes, you can use all three without issue.

You can also use a splitter on the CPU header if you'd like. It will simply be controlled to the same speed as the CPU fan attached to the cooler.

alright im fine with that thanks for the help

one more question i don't know if you know the fix to this but in game when i turn on vsync it doesnt cap my fps to 144, its unlimitted, and I can only record in vsync for some reason

3 minutes ago, EyeAyEn said:

alright im fine with that thanks for the help

one more question i don't know if you know the fix to this but in game when i turn on vsync it doesnt cap my fps to 144, its unlimitted, and I can only record in vsync for some reason

Not offhand, other than making sure it's not being overridden by some driver setting. I'm not familiar with AMD drivers to direct you where to look.

I suggest you start a new topic with details of the hardware and software involved (game, recording SW, etc.).

5 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Not offhand, other than making sure it's not being overridden by some driver setting. I'm not familiar with AMD drivers to direct you where to look.

I suggest you start a new topic with details of the hardware and software involved (game, recording SW, etc.).

alright, thanks for all the help