Is it worth getting a RM850(2019) over a RM650X?

Ricardo Harrow

Would a 2019 RM850 be a solid buy? And is it in any way worse than the RMx PSU lineup?

The RMX has a better fan, tighter voltage regulation, less ripple and if you care all Japanese caps.

There isn't a massive difference, but it's there.

The RM is a solid unit, but the RMX is better.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

6 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

The RMX has a better fan, tighter voltage regulation, less ripple and if you care all Japanese caps.

There isn't a massive difference, but it's there.

The RM is a solid unit, but the RMX is better.

Are the capacitors in the 2019 RM PSUs in any way bad in terms of quality?

45 minutes ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

Are the capacitors in the 2019 RM PSUs in any way bad in terms of quality?

NO.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 minute ago, Ankerson said:

NO.

Calm down, good sir. I just wanted to confirm because I'm about to spend around 165 USD on it. PC parts here are somewhat overpriced.

Thank you for your time.

5 minutes ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

Calm down, good sir. I just wanted to confirm because I'm about to spend around 165 USD on it. PC parts here are somewhat overpriced.

Thank you for your time.

I ment to say nope they aren't.

2 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

I ment to say nope they aren't.

Either way, thank for your time. 

If anyone has anything they'd like to share concerning the RM850(2019), please do. 

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It is THE EXACT SAME PLATFORM except the RMx has Japanese capacitors and different fans.

There are reviews if you want a complete teardown:  https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850-power-supply,6127.html

If you don't mind me asking, I came across a thread a while back where a person in the thread said "The RM is a stripped down, cheapened up variant that's marginally inferior in quality terms to the TXM and is more on the lines with the latest CX version and is nowhere near close the true RMx.".  While you have said that it's the exact same platform as the RMx except it doesn't utilize Japanese capacitors and utilizes a different fan, would you say there's some truth to the staement of the RM being "a stripped down, cheapened variant"?

Link to the thread:

24 minutes ago, Ricardo Harrow said:

If you don't mind me asking, I came across a thread a while back where a person in the thread said "The RM is a stripped down, cheapened up variant that's marginally inferior in quality terms to the TXM and is more on the lines with the latest CX version and is nowhere near close the true RMx.".  While you have said that it's the exact same platform as the RMx except it doesn't utilize Japanese capacitors and utilizes a different fan, would you say there's some truth to the staement of the RM being "a stripped down, cheapened variant"?

Link to the thread:

That person is incorrect.  She took what I said out of context and amplified it.

To detail out what I was quoted as saying in that thread:

TX-M is better in a sense that it has all Japanese capacitors and the better fan that the RMx has, but it's actually louder do to the poor housing design.

The CEC requirements for California SI's is a minor change that utilizes a different LLC controller that can switch to a "burst mode" at lower loads so > 70% efficiency can be achieved at loads as low as 2%.

Again:  The RM is the same as the RMx but without the Japanese capacitors and the better fan.  Though the fan in the RM is still far superior to most other fans on the market, including other Hong Hua fans.

Just read the review I linked you to.  Then read an RMx review.  It's all right there.

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Again:  The RM is the same as the RMx but without the Japanese capacitors and the better fan.  Though the fan in the RM is still far superior to most other fans on the market, including other Hong Hua fans.

How big the difference "all Japanese capacitors" makes? I know "Japanese capacitor" is a bit marketing buzzword. There are non-Japanese capacitor of very good quality for sure. So if the RM uses good non-Japanese capacitors. At the end of the day, it makes little difference for performance and reliability to RMx.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

How big the difference "all Japanese capacitors" makes? I know "Japanese capacitor" is a bit marketing buzzword. There are non-Japanese capacitor of very good quality for sure. So if the RM uses good non-Japanese capacitors. At the end of the day, it makes little difference for performance and reliability to RMx.

Japanese capacitors are just marketing.  Unless you're comparing them against cheap, Chinese capacitors.  

You can see in the review I linked that Elite caps are used.  Those are good caps.

26 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Japanese capacitors are just marketing.  Unless you're comparing them against cheap, Chinese capacitors.  

You can see in the review I linked that Elite caps are used.  Those are good caps.

Right, it reviewed well I think.

And it works with the 3000 Series GPUs so it's all good. 🙂

image.thumb.png.a5f6faf4148b84b608b354291d3d687b.png

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

That person is incorrect.  She took what I said out of context and amplified it.

To detail out what I was quoted as saying in that thread:

TX-M is better in a sense that it has all Japanese capacitors and the better fan that the RMx has, but it's actually louder do to the poor housing design.

The CEC requirements for California SI's is a minor change that utilizes a different LLC controller that can switch to a "burst mode" at lower loads so > 70% efficiency can be achieved at loads as low as 2%.

Just read the review I linked you to.  Then read an RMx review.  It's all right there.

Thank you so much for your time.