VPN for apple tv

gothamshahprao

I set up ExpressVPN for my German aunt so that she could watch some channels that are only available online in Germany. It works well on her laptop and phone. However, I found that the ExpressVPN implementation for the AppleTV was pretty bad.

Now, I am not going to always be around to help her with this, so I wanted to get something simple and easy to use set up.

The network set up is like this: two ISP provided ONTs -> CISCO load balancing router -> POE network Switch -> Multiple APs -> AppleTV

What I'm considering, if its possible is as follows: two ISP provided ONTs -> CISCO load balancing router -> POE network Switch -> Multiple APs -> DD-WRT Router as a Wi-Fi repeater with VPN -> AppleTV

The basic idea is that the DD-WRT router works as a Wi-Fi repeater with the VPN logged in on it. My aunt then can very easily change the Wi-Fi connection on the AppleTV itself when she wants to use the VPN. I cant run network cable to the router unfortunately ,as the AppleTV is too far from the networking cabinet, and all the cable runs that were built into the walls have already been populated by APs.

Is this possible? I wanted to know for sure before I go out and buy a custom firmware/VPN capable router/Wi-Fi repeater.

Current Network.jpg

Proposed Netowrk idea.jpg

4 hours ago, gothamshahprao said:

The network set up is like this: two ISP provided ONTs -> CISCO load balancing router -> POE network Switch -> Multiple APs...

First of all... Wow! Is this a home network setup?

4 hours ago, gothamshahprao said:

DD-WRT Router as a Wi-Fi repeater with VPN

Secondly... [Sigh]

Theoretically, it should work, but you'll only know until you try it. My issue is making sure the VPN client is aware that the wireless interfaces are bridged, not the wireless/eth to WAN as it might be configured by default.

My experience with doing something similar was unsuccessful, but thankfully the VPN apps got better. Hope you have better luck.

10 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

First of all... Wow! Is this a home network setup?

Yeah! My cousins be ballin like that. Sadly their neighborhood, fancy though it may be, isn't well serviced by isps. They advertise 200mbps, but in reality one gets maybe 40 down and a pathetic 5 up! 

10 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

My issue is making sure the VPN client is aware that the wireless interfaces are bridged, not the wireless/eth to WAN as it might be configured by default.

This is a bit confusing. If they are bridge, doesn't that mean the client device (appleTV) will look to the main cisco router as the gateway, and bypass the vpn? 

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I really don't know too much about networks. 

All of this would have been much easier if there was a way for me to run a network cable to anywhere near where the tv room was. :( 

I don't think my aunt will let me have cables hanging out anywhere or start breaking the plaster haha.