Psu Limitations

MADMINK

I'm in the market for a higher end GPU. I just installed a new EVGA Supernova G5 650w Gold Power Supply anticipating on combining my R5 2600 (I never overclock my stuff) CPU with the new RTX 3070, but there may be a chance I may pay a little extra and get the RX 6800XT (300w). 

Would a 300w GPU be too much for my new PSU? I don't want to push it too hard, but my current CPU is lower end (less watts). I plan on keeping my Current CPU for the next 2 years as I just installed it this summer. I will never overclock any of my stuff. I hope to play 1440p 144hz in the future on medium or high settings. The only stuff I hook up to my PC USB ports is a Gaming Keyboard and Mouse, Controller, and Headphones Simultaneously.

My rig:

Ryzen 5 2600

16gb Dual Channel (2900mhz I think)

1 TB HDD, 240 GB SSD and will add 1TB NVME

SSD in the future

AsRock b450m steel legend motherboard

RX 480 8GB (hope to upgrade to RTX 3070 or preferably the 6800xt)

EVGA Supernova G5 650w Gold PSU

all in a NZXT H510 case with 2 front fans and 2 exhaust

keep in mind the rx 6900xt i believe is ALSO 300w, but no, with a ryzen 5 2600, you "shouldnt" encounter any problems.

3 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

keep in mind the rx 6900xt i believe is ALSO 300w, but no, with a ryzen 5 2600, you "shouldnt" encounter any problems.

I'm too poor for a 6900XT if I use a 2600 lol.

Just now, MADMINK said:

I'm too poor for a 6900XT if I use a 2600 lol.

still cheaper than a 3090 lmao

i myself am in need of a new gpu (since my rx 580 is acting up and using anywhere between 235-270w under full load) and well tbh, thats a bit more wattage than i am really willing to give a gcn gpu

7 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

wattage recommendations on pcpp is usually way high.

its often recommended that high to make for sudden power draws from a hungry gpu, its to prevent potential shutdown on less than adequate quality psu's

Just a tip - its best practice to only run your PSU at half its output - this helps longevity greatly and ensures stable supply allowing for peaks/spikes.

I'm personally a fan of running multiple PSUs to level the load and also much cheaper then buying one big PSU 

16 minutes ago, CkSully said:

Just a tip - its best practice to only run your PSU at half its output - this helps longevity greatly and ensures stable supply allowing for peaks/spikes.

I'm personally a fan of running multiple PSUs to level the load and also much cheaper then buying one big PSU 

According to Various GPU calculators, they recommend GPU's lower than 650w when I pair my rig with a 3080 (320w). I know there are many factors. I want to know if any people run 300w GPUs with 650w PSUs and if my powersupply would outlive its warranty (or close) under a 550w load worst case.

I probably will max out either the gpu or CPU, but not both in the future.

1 hour ago, CkSully said:

If you're using a garbage PSU, sure.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 7:07 PM, jonnyGURU said:

If you're using a garbage PSU, sure.

What if I decrease GPU power limit of the 6800XT by 17 percent making the max wattage 249? Would that hurt the fps enough making it not worth it over the rtx 3070 or 6800 non XT or would it decrease its lifespan?