New Headphones.. New PC.

Hello all. I plan to build a pc in the next coming months, might hold out for Z97. 

To the real topic at hand, audio. I want some really good headphones. Wired, comfortable, good sound. I've been looking around, I looked at the SteelSeries Siberia Elite but every where I looked people were saying their garbage. So I won't choose them. I currently have a crappy pair of Tritton AX Pros 1st gen, their ok but their mainly for console. I want something that provides a great surround experience for games like Battlefield. How good are clip on mics for headphones that have mics? If I dont want a desk mic with mic-less headphones, what would be my options and still trying to maintain voice clarity and quality. 

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 598s($180) and HD 600s, latter being a little pricey for my tastes but if their all that much worth it then maybe you can convince me. Another set I was looking at were the BeyerDynamic DT-990Pro 250 Ohm ($140). I would more than likely just be using the onboard sound of the motherboard unless it is truly worth it for a soundcard. I was going to get an ASUS ROG board, either something like the VI Hero or VI Formula.

Thanks for reading.

V-moda boompro mic for you mic

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well, the Sennheiser PC 360 is pretty much the same as the HD 558, though with a mic. It's one of the few headsets made by the audio companies which isn't overpriced (in the US, around $160-180ish).

The boompro mentioned above is good, but only compatible with a few headphones. AntLion's ModMic is compatible with just abotu any headphone out there, so you can take your pick without worrying about headphone peculiarities. I'd grab the 2.3 or wait for the 4.0 (in a few months) depending on how soon you're looking to make your purchase.

If you wanna go with plain headphones, there's tons of great items to choose from, so I wont even bother making a recommendation just yet.

So the vmoda mic is the best as for add-in mics go? Whats the difference in the 558s and 598s beside the noticeable price? 

If I understand correctly, the vmoda mic plugs into the the heaphones, could that work with the 598s I do not know if you can unplug the wire from the headphones or not. The BeyerDynamic DT-990Pro 250Ohm looks like the plug doesn't come out the headphones so a vmoda mic would not work? As for the AntLion mic, could I just plug it straight into the PCs mic channel right?

If I understand correctly, the vmoda mic plugs into the the heaphones, could that work with the 598s I do not know if you can unplug the wire from the headphones or not.

The 500 series do have detachable cables, but they're the wrong size to be used with the BoomPro.

The Beyerdynamic DT series do not have detachable cables.

As for the AntLion mic, could I just plug it straight into the PCs mic channel right?

Correct. :)

Also what would be the best way about getting the headphones to simulate surround in 5.1 or 7.1 

I like the 600s too but that price! Are they really worth the whole $250 over the BeyerDs?

Are they really worth the whole $250 over the BeyerDs?

That's a matter of opinion. Some people prefer the Beyerdynamics.

Also what would be the best way about getting the headphones to simulate surround in 5.1 or 7.1 

Razer Surround (software)

The hd 600s retail for USD $400, the DT-990Pros retail for $300 but are currently $140. Are the 600s really worth it there?

The hd 600s retail for USD $400, the DT-990Pros retail for $300 but are currently $140. Are the 600s really worth it there?

Do I really need to repeat myself? :P

For your first good headphones, I'd say save your money and just stick with the Beyerdynamics.

Well I want your opinion, without price being mentioned what do YOU think is the better choice? I have kind of large ears and these trittons hurt after wearing for a while sometimes. I want them to be really comfortable, the headband on the 598s looks really comfortable, are the BeyerD in the same league? HD 600s looks the comfiest. ( I really wish I could just try them so I wouldn't have to ask). 

Thanks for all the responses

Well I want your opinion, without price being mentioned what do YOU think is the better choice? I have kind of large ears and these trittons hurt after wearing for a while sometimes. I want them to be really comfortable, the headband on the 598s looks really comfortable, are the BeyerD in the same league? HD 600s looks the comfiest. ( I really wish I could just try them so I wouldn't have to ask). 

I don'l like the Sennheiser sound so I would just go for the cheaper Beyers. I personally used DT770s and I'm very happy with it. And the 250ohm version should be fine without an amp on a supremefx motherboard. 

I was looking at some more reviews on these headphones and it seems everyone says the noise cancelling is near to none. Now I would usually have to deal with the noise of an AC window unit kicking in, maybe someone playing the stereo downstairs. 

I was looking at the DT 770s and 880s. the only difference is the open/semi-open/closed ears correct? All this is for heat and noise correct? How good is semi at noise cancelling? How is the heat difference between semi and closed eared headphones?

I was looking at some more reviews on these headphones and it seems everyone says the noise cancelling is near to none. Now I would usually have to deal with the noise of an AC window unit kicking in, maybe someone playing the stereo downstairs. 

I was looking at the DT 770s and 880s. the only difference is the open/semi-open/closed ears correct? All this is for heat and noise correct? How good is semi at noise cancelling? How is the heat difference between semi and closed eared headphones?

I think you mean noise isolating. Closed headphones are noise isolating while the opens ones are not. If you want noise isolating then go for a closed pair of headphones. The DT770 would be great for that. The 880s are just as bad as the 990s at noise leaking. 

Are there any other reasons to choose open design  besides noise and heat?

I would pick Sennheiser, but I am a Sennheiser fanboy, so.... yeah.

Here's picks of the earcups of my Hd 650 and DT 990 - they're both comfy, but I prefer the oval shape.

post-2468-0-90080700-1383100976_thumb.jp
post-2468-0-41005900-1383100980_thumb.jp
post-2468-0-16610900-1383100985_thumb.jp

Are there any other reasons to choose open design  besides noise and heat?

Open headphones have this nice ambiance going on, but that doesn't make them inherently better.

I would pick Sennheiser, but I am a Sennheiser fanboy, so.... yeah.

Here's picks of the earcups of my Hd 650 and DT 990 - they're both comfy, but I prefer the oval shape.

Open headphones have this nice ambiance going on, but that doesn't make them inherently bettI think er.

I think I have big ears or something...The Sennheiser design is too small to be comfortable to me. 

I think I will get the DT 770 Pro 250Ohm. I really want that noise isolation, I just hate being immersed and interrupted by some outside noise. 

I could understand the ambiance, sound not bouncing off the ear cup so much as opposed to closed ears? If that is the case couldn't I just turn it down a little or is it noticeable even at medium volumes?

Oh I'm pretty sure this is the final question. 

Razer Surround - I don't want to pay $20 for it. I am more than happy to donate a few bucks to get the software. If I buy it now can I download it on a different computer later? Could I just sign into the Razer site or whatever and download the Surround software like it was a part of my library or something?

I think I will get the DT 770 Pro 250Ohm. I really want that noise isolation, I just hate being immersed and interrupted by some outside noise.

I could understand the ambiance, sound not bouncing off the ear cup so much as opposed to closed ears? If that is the case couldn't I just turn it down a little or is it noticeable even at medium volumes?

I don't know if this will help, it might just make it all more complicated, but I personally own the DT770 (80 ohm), my dad has the DT990 Pros and and in my opinion the latter sounds noticably better.

And I don't think isolation/immersion should be a problem unless you have people walking your room in and out.

THE signature

Oh I'm pretty sure this is the final question. 

Razer Surround - I don't want to pay $20 for it. I am more than happy to donate a few bucks to get the software. If I buy it now can I download it on a different computer later? Could I just sign into the Razer site or whatever and download the Surround software like it was a part of my library or something?

It's free man. there's a button called "proceed to download" where you download it for free 

rZhlyNx.png

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Weird. I didn't have the same download or donate options. I just clicked the "Download Now" option here - http://drivers.razersupport.com//index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=1392&nav=0,343,366%C2'> Then burned the file to a CD. It should work even after June 30th right? I would just install it and update itself correct? 

I was looking more at the open vs closed back. How would open headphones do with the antlion mic? Would the sound leaking be picked up by the mic?

Weird. I didn't have the same download or donate options. I just clicked the "Download Now" option here - Then burned the file to a CD. It should work even after June 30th right? I would just install it and update itself correct? 

I was looking more at the open vs closed back. How would open headphones do with the antlion mic? Would the sound leaking be picked up by the mic?

Unless you're blaring your music at deafening volumes, it shouldn't be an issue. and also Razer Surround should just install and update, afaik

this is the page - http://drivers.razersupport.com//index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=1392&nav=0,343,366 i just downloaded and burned, never opened. 

The mic would only be an issue with games like battlefield, hopefully gta v pc. Music would just be listening s mic is not an issue there. Also should I get a sound card or just use the onboard? I don't know much about external DACs and all the wonderful things audioheads love. 

You might maybe need an amp for the DT770 250 ohm, as they are higher impedance, but they might get loud enough for you on your onboard, I'd just see how it is on your onboard, if it isn't loud enough, or there is crackling, popping, hissing or something, then we can start talking amps and dacs.