PC crash after exiting game, won’t boot into windows

RogueAero

Hello there, writing from my phone as I can’t access my PC.

i was playing Age of Empires 3 Definitive Edition, when I closed the game to go back to my desktop my PC crashed. I turned it back on and I’m met with the picture I’ve attached. 

I’ve tried going into advanced options and doing startup repair, as well as trying to change some windows startup settings to no avail, it just won’t boot.

PC specs:

intel i7-9700k (not overclocked)

asus tuf gaming (don’t really remember the model)

corsar vengeance 8gb x2 and another single 8gb stick. The pair that came together are in channel 2 and 4

gtx 1060 6gb

cooler master 650w PSU

cooler master cpu cooler

main boot drive: WD blue 500gb m.2

ssd: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

hdd: iron wolf 6tb

The pc has been working fine for around 9 months, no issues encountered previously

image.jpg

A: Remove the single extra 8gb stick and just run the 2x8 kit. 

Try and boot into safe mode. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

22 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

A: Remove the single extra 8gb stick and just run the 2x8 kit. 

Try and boot into safe mode. 

Removed single stick, try to boot into safe mode and I’m prompted with the same screen

1 minute ago, RogueAero said:

Removed single stick, try to boot into safe mode and I’m prompted with the same screen

if you go to troubleshoot, it should allow you to boot into safe mode no?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

if you go to troubleshoot, it should allow you to boot into safe mode no?

Yes, it reboots into the option list where you can select to boot into safe mode, but once selected it reboots into the winRE screen again.

See video for steps taken

1 minute ago, RogueAero said:

Yes, it reboots into the option list where you can select to boot into safe mode, but once selected it reboots into the winRE screen again.

See video for steps taken

62529191022__B82B89FB-F6E9-463C-9C41-7B617FACCF1B.MOV

do you have another computer you can create a windows ISO USB drive and use the 2nd option there? If not, you may only be able to do a full re-install at this point. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

do you have another computer you can create a windows ISO USB drive and use the 2nd option there? If not, you may only be able to do a full re-install at this point. 

Just as I tried to use my laptop to create an ISO, the screen started failing and is now blinking constantly. I fear it’s about to die too

What the hell is going on 😧

Just now, RogueAero said:

Just as I tried to use my laptop to create an ISO, the screen started failing and is now blinking constantly. I fear it’s about to die too

What the hell is going on 😧

62529225363__38103132-4A3D-4FD6-B1D5-CFC25F433D8C.MOV

could be a failing hard drive. Can you reboot and get into your BIOS?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

could be a failing hard drive. Can you reboot and get into your BIOS?

I’m copying some files into my external hdd in case it dies on me as well, so I’ll just use it in this blinking state. I can use it to create a ISO on my USB. Which guide should I follow?

3 minutes ago, RogueAero said:

I’m copying some files into my external hdd in case it dies on me as well, so I’ll just use it in this blinking state. I can use it to create a ISO on my USB. Which guide should I follow?

just download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and use that. Its 100% straight forward in the steps needed. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

just download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and use that. Its 100% straight forward in the steps needed. 

Alright, and regarding the flickering on my laptop? What are the steps to take once I get into the BIOS?

Alright, and regarding the flickering on my laptop? What are the steps to take once I get into the BIOS?

check to make sure your boot drive shows up. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

check to make sure your boot drive shows up. 

It’s showing up correctly

It’s showing up correctly

do you have any USB devices plugged in? If so, remove them all. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

do you have any USB devices plugged in? If so, remove them all. 

Done, rebooted and flickering seems to be gone. That’s one problem fixed

On my desktop I managed to select my USB drive and I get two options “Troubleshoot” or “turn off pc”. Selecting troubleshoot takes me to the picture attached 

image.jpg

See if you have any System Restore points. If not, then reboot and go into your BIOS and select your USB drive as your boot drive and do a fresh install of windows from it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

See if you have any System Restore points. If not, then reboot and go into your BIOS and select your USB drive as your boot drive and do a fresh install of windows from it. 

Well, looks like fresh window install it is.

Do you reckon it was that one ram stick? I’ve had zero issues for over 9 months, been playing games, using it every day, my brother has been recording videos and stuff without issues

10 minutes ago, RogueAero said:

Well, looks like fresh window install it is.

Do you reckon it was that one ram stick? I’ve had zero issues for over 9 months, been playing games, using it every day, my brother has been recording videos and stuff without issues

Likely not, but with it like that, I believe you will be running in Single channel mode, and not actually dual channel. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Likely not, but with it like that, I believe you will be running in Single channel mode, and not actually dual channel. 

I have another spare 8gb stick, same brand, same speed, which I had in an older PC. I didn’t use it because I just forgot I had it, do you think I would run in dual channel if I pair it up with the one I just took out?

I have another spare 8gb stick, same brand, same speed, which I had in an older PC. I didn’t use it because I just forgot I had it, do you think I would run in dual channel if I pair it up with the one I just took out?

it would yes, but 16gb is all you need for pretty much anything unless you're doing heavy video editing/rendering and 3d model working that needs all that RAM. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

it would yes, but 16gb is all you need for pretty much anything unless you're doing heavy video editing/rendering and 3d model working that needs all that RAM. 

My brother makes YouTube videos and edits them, and I do some photography as a hobby. Maybe it’s worth it to throw it on there once it’s up and running again?

image.jpg

Sounds like a plan. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig