security camera to the road

VeroVex

I want to get a camera and set it up around 260 feet away from my house, beside the road, for surveillance. does anybody know the best way to do this? thanks

SPECS BELOW:

AMD Ryzen 3 3200g

XFX xxx ed rx 580 8gb

Asus PRIME a320m-k

G.skill aegis 2x8 2666

Western digital blue 1tb 7200rpm

Kingston a2000 250 gig

Coolermaster q300l

Thermaltake 500w 80+

46 minutes ago, VeroVex said:

I want to get a camera and set it up around 260 feet away from my house, beside the road, for surveillance. does anybody know the best way to do this? thanks

You're within the range of Ethernet which has a max range of about 320 ish feet. Ethernet can provide both power and data and there are POE cameras already on the market. Id imagine you would have to trench and put in some conduit. Keep in mind Ethernet is 8 copper wires, which means they are conductive. So you would probably want to ground that wire, or else a lightning strike could take it out and anything its connected to. 

Keep in mind that before you trench you need to follow any laws of your local government/national government. In the case of the US, we have to call 811 (Miss Dig) so that the utilities can come out and mark and underground lines/pipes. You may also be required to have this professionally done, as in hiring a licesned and trained person to run this cable and have building permits, this is vary based on where you live. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

would wireless be cheaper? right now it's winter where i am, so i would not be able to dig a trench, and the cable + pvc pipe would be a bit over the budget. could i possibly use a wifi camera, and power it with solar?

SPECS BELOW:

AMD Ryzen 3 3200g

XFX xxx ed rx 580 8gb

Asus PRIME a320m-k

G.skill aegis 2x8 2666

Kingston a2000 250 gig

Coolermaster q300l

Thermaltake 500w 80+

1 minute ago, VeroVex said:

would wireless be cheaper? right now it's winter where i am, so i would not be able to dig a trench, and the cable + pvc pipe would be a bit over the budget. could i possibly use a wifi camera, and power it with solar?

1) My concern will be with having a WiFi signal at that location. WiFi has distance limitations after all and you're kinda asking a lot out of WiFi in terms of range. 

2) Not an expert in solar, but id imagine a good setup will be semi expensive. I did look on Amazon and noticed in a comment that someone said they do make battery operated units, but battery life depends on how much its used. As many security cameras have a setting to only record when it detects movement. 

3) My other concern is if some one jams the WiFi signal. Yes this is possible. You can buy a wireless jammer online. They are not legal for civilian use, at least on in the US, but people have been caught with them. 

4) is going to be price. I dont know what kind of solar setup you're looking at, but add that cost in to about $50 -$60 USD for WiFi cameras. And if you dont have WiFi where your putting the camera, then you're going to need a solution for that as well. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

1) My concern will be with having a WiFi signal at that location. WiFi has distance limitations after all and you're kinda asking a lot out of WiFi in terms of range. 

2) Not an expert in solar, but id imagine a good setup will be semi expensive. I did look on Amazon and noticed in a comment that someone said they do make battery operated units, but battery life depends on how much its used. As many security cameras have a setting to only record when it detects movement. 

3) My other concern is if some one jams the WiFi signal. Yes this is possible. You can buy a wireless jammer online. They are not legal for civilian use, at least on in the US, but people have been caught with them. 

4) is going to be price. I dont know what kind of solar setup you're looking at, but add that cost in to about $50 -$60 USD for WiFi cameras. And if you dont have WiFi where your putting the camera, then you're going to need a solution for that as well. 

I would want to have the camera streaming to a monitor, would that be possible from that distance? also, could i use a solar battery bank, and use that to power it?  i'm not too worried about jamming, i've never been broken into, just like surveillance. also, for connection, i have a garden about the same distance away and the connection is okay from the distance, maybe 480p max with yt

SPECS BELOW:

AMD Ryzen 3 3200g

XFX xxx ed rx 580 8gb

Asus PRIME a320m-k

G.skill aegis 2x8 2666

Kingston a2000 250 gig

Coolermaster q300l

Thermaltake 500w 80+

9 hours ago, VeroVex said:

I would want to have the camera streaming to a monitor, would that be possible from that distance? also, could i use a solar battery bank, and use that to power it?  i'm not too worried about jamming, i've never been broken into, just like surveillance. also, for connection, i have a garden about the same distance away and the connection is okay from the distance, maybe 480p max with yt

Monitors cant get a signal from WiFi directly. In order to stream to a monitor you would either need a computer connected to it or have to use some kinda of Wireless HDMI dongle. The Wireless HDMI probably wont have the range. Im not an expert in solar so I cant answer that.