Cpu underclocking itself (not termal problem)

Hi 

I have my pc is g531gw scar iii it has an i7 9850h and rtx 2080 and 16 g 2666hz memory  when i play games my cpu clock drop to 3.0 ghz but it should be on 3.4_3.9  it runs at 84 c  it has like 10 c head room  my pc has no dust or virus or bad behaving app  and somtimes i get this random 40 fps drops i cheked with msi after burner i test the cpu with cpu z  and stres it nothing wierd there eather and nothing wierd there pls i need some help   

And im so sorry for bad english 

So there are different turbo speeds based on many factors, temperatures are one, nunber of cores, power, time at turbo speed etc which all play a part of the turbo clock the cpu will run at. 

Your cpu is not thermal throttling but temperature turbo limiting or core turbo limiting (more cores active =lower frequency) 

Best solution is get the cpu colder, it will move to higher clock speeds for longer. 84c is definitely above what the cpu will want to be running at for higher clock speeds. It's not throttling below base clock but it won't turbo any higher) 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

What power mode? Is it power limited?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

84c is too hot for a cpu that has the correct cooler

there's a big difference between "thermal throttle" and "the maximum temp the cpu can hit before it shut the machine off to save itself"

cool that cpu off and watch the problem get magically solved

1 minute ago, emosun said:

there's a big difference between "thermal throttle" and "the maximum temp the cpu can hit before it shut the machine off to save itself"

This is a laptop chip, mid 80's is pretty typical. Most likely it's in cTDP down and hitting the lower TDP limit.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, svmlegacy said:

This is a laptop chip, mid 80's is pretty typical. Most likely it's in cTDP down and hitting the lower TDP limit.

k neato , cool it off

8 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

What power mode? Is it power limited?

High 

8 hours ago, emosun said:

Did you read its a gaming laptop

8 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Go and search g531gw just to see the model then open up your mouth

9 hours ago, Mehrdad1379 said:

Hi 

I have my pc is g531gw scar iii it has an i7 9850h and rtx 2080 and 16 g 2666hz memory  when i play games my cpu clock drop to 3.0 ghz but it should be on 3.4_3.9  it runs at 84 c  it has like 10 c head room  my pc has no dust or virus or bad behaving app  and somtimes i get this random 40 fps drops i cheked with msi after burner i test the cpu with cpu z  and stres it nothing wierd there eather and nothing wierd there pls i need some help   

And im so sorry for bad english 

im not sure but i think for your laptop this could be a thermal throttling... if you tried to cool down temporarily your laptop, try to find a ventilated space or a room that is cooler where you came from. this will help a lot.

even your cpu reaches 84 degrees sometimes it would just throttle like crazy

Also, appending gaming to anything computing-related doesn't mean much, other than the marketers are spamming buzzwords on their product names.  I guess you might be able to count on it having superfluous RGB everywhere.

Sorry, but big power/itty-bitty living space doesn't work like Aladdin.  Thermodynamics are in play here.  Try putting it on a cooling pad, or editing the fan curve, or replacing the thermal paste, etc. Put a fan facing directly at it and see if it lessens the behavior.  There's easy things you can try.

Anyone interested (maybe even LTT!) in a line of GAMING underpants?  We'll include thermal/motion-powered RGB strips.  Only downside is that it'll highlight any skid marks.

10 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Go and search g531gw just to see the model then open up your mouth

Jesus crist u guys r dump im telling you its not a termal problem  if you dont know just dont coment i have this problem even on 60 c

@Mehrdad1379 You really need to chill. I was going to walk you through checking the throttle reason, provided it was already in high performance mode.

Nobody has a silver bullet to fix it.

Deal with it. It's still well over base clock.

2 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

@Mehrdad1379 You really need to chill. I was going to walk you through checking the throttle reason, provided it was already in high performance mode.

Nobody has a silver bullet to fix it.

Deal with it. It's still well over base clock.

I didnt mean yo be disrespectfull but i said it not a termal throttle but they just dont want to accept that there is somghing that they kbow so they just open that mout and spit the first thing that came to theire mind yhey didnt even  read the title  (its not fucking termal throttle)

5 minutes ago, Mehrdad1379 said:

I didnt mean yo be disrespectfull but i said it not a termal throttle but they just dont want to accept that there is somghing that they kbow so they just open that mout and spit the first thing that came to theire mind yhey didnt even  read the title  (its not fucking termal throttle)

And I litterally said it was typical temps. I never said it was thermal throttling. TDP throttling is a power usage limit, something that laptop chips also tend to hit. Investigate the actual cause with HWiNFO logging.

@Mehrdad1379 - Power limit throttling problems are common in laptops. Some Dell laptops are dropping the turbo power limits down to 5W or less which is causing constant power limit throttling. I took the time to read your post so I know you have an Asus laptop but some of them also have these sort of issues.

Try downloading and running ThrottleStop. Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for 15 minutes or so. When finished testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be located in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder with today's date in its name. Attach this file to your next post and include some pictures of how ThrottleStop is setup.

Most throttling problems like this in Asus laptops have been solvable or at least explainable. As for some Dell laptops, owners are not so lucky.

HWiNFO is a great program but sometimes it's log files are "too much information". ThrottleStop concentrates on the issues that commonly cause these throttling problems and allows you to make changes to try and help solve these problems. 

The 9850H has a 35W TDP down mode. Hopefully Asus is not doing something dumb like forcing the CPU into low power mode. Some manufacturers do crazy stuff like this when the Nvidia GPU is active.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191047/intel-core-i7-9850h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

6 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@Mehrdad1379 - Power limit throttling problems are common in laptops. Some Dell laptops are dropping the turbo power limits down to 5W or less which is causing constant power limit throttling. I took the time to read your post so I know you have an Asus laptop but some of them also have these sort of issues.

Try downloading and running ThrottleStop. Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for 15 minutes or so. When finished testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be located in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder with today's date in its name. Attach this file to your next post and include some pictures of how ThrottleStop is setup.

Most throttling problems like this in Asus laptops have been solvable or at least explainable. As for some Dell laptops, owners are not so lucky.

HWiNFO is a great program but sometimes it's log files are "too much information". ThrottleStop concentrates on the issues that commonly cause these throttling problems and allows you to make changes to try and help solve these problems. 

The 9850H has a 35W TDP down mode. Hopefully Asus is not doing something dumb like forcing the CPU into low power mode. Some manufacturers do crazy stuff like this when the Nvidia GPU is active.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191047/intel-core-i7-9850h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

Thank you for your reply its realy helpfull i will test it first thing in the morning