Audio production, Ryzen, x570, and Thunderbolt

Budget (including currency): 3000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Audio Production, Harrison Mixbus, 32c, Protools, Reaper

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): looking at asrock x570 Taichi with TB add in card ryzen 7 3800x, pcie 4.0 M.2 cards( brand and size undecided), Nvidia 3000 series graphics, all be quiet cases, fans and coolers

Hello kind folks,

Im a new to this forum,

Looking to move away from Intel but have been stuck due to my dependency on Thunderbolt.

Now with the dawn of TB on the X570 boards and Ryzen Im looking to build out a new rig.

Currently Running: Asus z370 prime A, I7 8700k OC 4.0, 64GB corsair 2600, nvidia 980 ti, 2 samsung M.2 NVME ( 1 500 gb for boot, 1 tb for further storage), Asus ex3 TB card.

My problem is not with my computer as a wholes performance, it runs great. It is with Asus EX3 TB card. I am now on my fourth card as the previous 3 have burned out on me. Im tired of its lack of reliability and want to move to something else.

I like the Ryzen 3800x for its great single core performance, my research shows this is the most important factor for an audio PC as Digtial Audio workstations have poor multi core cpu and hyper-threading abilities at this time.

I use an RME UFX + for an Audio Interface, and yes it does have USB 3.0 which runs great but as my track counts go up the performance goes down faster and Latency goes up compared to TB in my experience thus far. I am Firm with sticking to TB at this time.

I am very open to suggestions for MOBO's and CPU configuration. Id like to move forward with the times and Stick with an X570 MOBO to take full advantage of the bandwidth of PCIE 4.0 for TB and M.2 NVME drives. Im somewhat tech savy a but still consider myself a noob researching and finding reliable info to build on. I humbly ask your help and opinions.

please give me a shout !

Gigabyte z590 Vision D, Intel i9 10900k, Ripjaws 64gb 3200mhz ddr4, 2x 1tb WD Black SN850 m.2 nvme, 1000 watt seasonic PSU

I just ordered parts for a similar build and purpose. I am upgrading an Intel machine for high end home theater and general use. I am using a MOTU 16A audio interface.

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X motherboard (newer version of x570 Taichi)

Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200 memory 

ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC R2.0 PCIe card

Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Phoenix Fan Edition Graphics Card

Noctua NH-C14S, Premium CPU Cooler 

In a few days: Ryzen 9 5900X CPU (19% better single core performance than 3800)

All from B&H and Amazon.

Cinebench single core score:

ryzen.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

awesome to see some specs on a build thanks so much! how has the stability been over thunderbolt??

Gigabyte z590 Vision D, Intel i9 10900k, Ripjaws 64gb 3200mhz ddr4, 2x 1tb WD Black SN850 m.2 nvme, 1000 watt seasonic PSU

• 2 months later...

I'm actually building up an AMD rig that I'd like to do gaming/streaming and music production on, too. Have you had any luck getting yours off the ground?

Mine actually has some similar specs to you guys:

ASRock X570 Taichi

Ryzen 7 3700X with the stock Wraith Spire Cooler (Gonna upgrade to a 5900X or 5950X and a Noctua U-12A cooler when I have more money in the bank)

ASUS Phoenix Nvidia Geforce 1030 (I know)

32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 mHz

500 GB Samsung EVO Plus NVMe Boot Drive

1 TB Samsung EVO NVMe Storage Drive

ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC R2.0 PCIe Card

Still in the market for a TB3 audio interface if you have any suggestions on that, too.