Which ASUS 'family'?

I have pretty much narrowed down my motherboard choice to a P9X79-e ws (2011/x79)or a Z87 Deluxe (1150/x87) ,both in ASUSs channel range (initial choice was ASUS or Gigabyte as they both seemed high quality boards ASUS then 'won' on features which I will [maybe] use).  Then I heard something which was saying the channel motherboards were lower in the  pecking order than TUF or ROG boards.  I am looking for 'the best' in terms of longevity/quality should I worry about where channel boards are in the pecking order or are TUF/ROG boards so much 'better' that I should really include them in my choice?

The rig is mostly for video editing but (being realistic) will also do a bit of gaming.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

From what I've read around the ole interwebs, the TUF series would be the ones to go for if longevity is your deal. I myself have a Z87 Pro which is a cracking board, but it doesn't have the long term warranty etc of the TUF series. I can't really comment on the ROG stuff, though.

Conversely, I haven't read anything about the channel series boards that says they are vastly inferior to either the TUF or ROG boards.

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

Do you really need a 500$ P9Z79-E WS? That board is beyond overkill. How much editing do yo ureally do? That will make the choice easier between 2011/1150. The TUF boards are basically the top is longevity. But ROG and other boards will still last a very very long time.

To be perfectly honest, no matter what motherboard you choose, it'll last you until your next upgrade easily. 

Yes, you might get one that is a dud and you'll have to RMA, but any board can turn out to be a dud. Seriously don't go with ROG boards unless you want the e-peen. 

Either way, the boards you've chosen are like way too expensive anyway. What do you actually intend to use them for? 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

In terms of quality gigabyte is unparalled, asus has a failure rate double that of gigabytes in the motherboard sector, there was a thread a while back showing this, take in mind that double means a few percent from 2 to 4% its small but in my experience a lot of asus products have broken and they have poor customer service(i could rant a long time on crap they have done). Gigabyte seems better unless you want a rog.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Do you really need a 500$ P9Z79-E WS?

NEED?  Probably not.  Want, definitely.

Actually I am having trouble, even with my "just do it" head on, justifying to myself this purchase but I am getting a bit of a windfall and have decided to 'splash out' a bit and overbuy, In strictly logical terms I cannot justify 70 something PCI lanes but...

Getting this board also means a 2011 processor another £400 odd, gulp!! Mind you 6 cores as opposed to 4, should be good for editing

In percentage terms, with getting a new monitor etc. The ws/2011 build is £2200 the Deluxe/1150 build is £1800; not insignificant, but not wildy more expensive

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

You don't really need a over $400 motherboard like the P9X79 - E WS but geezz-a-loo it looks like the rolex of motherboards.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I can't comment on the TUF family, but I personally have a ROG mobo and it works flawlessly. Mobos rarely die before you upgrade CPUs, and when you do that you usually end up getting a different socket and replacing the board as well so either way you shouldn't have to worry about longevity. I picked the ROG boards because their sexy color scheme, so just pick whatever one fits your color scheme or has the features you want :)

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -