First time server set up

Hey guys! I have a brand new server that needs to be set up, from the ground up I have worked with windows server software for the better part of a year now and have found much enjoyment but I want to try out a Linux server at home and have decided to commit as of today, and I need your help with the suggestion on the operating system.

So let us start with some background for its use.

Bought it out of boredom, and something too do since all my favourite hang out places because of COVID-19 are closed, which isn't a big deal as I just hung out at home all day regardless. A couple of friends and I have decided to set up a dedicated gaming server so we can have our own private server and not have to worry about someone remember to leave their computer on and or starting the server and having to restart if the server crashes. So some much needed guidnace is appreciated!! 

Id put a hypervisor on the hardware. THen put windows and linux vms on it and seutp as needed.

Id probalby put proxmox on the hardware if it was me, but other good options are hyper-v, esxi, xcp-ng and others

What do you want to on the server? what games? Normally ubuntu and centos are the big guys in linux server oses.

probably an unpopular opinion, but i'd say just throw xubuntu on it.

it's a good enough mix between being lightweight, and still being user friendly.

i've recently re-done my home server, and after consideration i went straight back to xubuntu, and sort of half-assed my own framework for running just about anything that runs in a terminal as a system service with minimal work.

the advantage of running a 'desktop' linux flavour is little things like USB storage automatically mounting, a lot of configuration being easier, and actually having hotplug network ports with dhcp is pretty handy too...

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id put a hypervisor on the hardware. THen put windows and linux vms on it and seutp as needed.

Id probalby put proxmox on the hardware if it was me, but other good options are hyper-v, esxi, xcp-ng and others

What do you want to on the server? what games? Normally ubuntu and centos are the big guys in linux server oses.

We were thinking just to get started try out a Minecraft server, and see how that works as for everything else we were thinking a bunch of other games down the line no real 100% info quite yet.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

probably an unpopular opinion, but i'd say just throw xubuntu on it.

it's a good enough mix between being lightweight, and still being user friendly.

i've recently re-done my home server, and after consideration i went straight back to xubuntu, and sort of half-assed my own framework for running just about anything that runs in a terminal as a system service with minimal work.

the advantage of running a 'desktop' linux flavour is little things like USB storage automatically mounting, a lot of configuration being easier, and actually having hotplug network ports with dhcp is pretty handy too...

This seems interesting will have to keep it in mind, thanks!

1 minute ago, Malscythe said:

We were thinking just to get started try out a Minecraft server, and see how that works as for everything else we were thinking a bunch of other games down the line no real 100% info quite yet.

This seems interesting will have to keep it in mind, thanks!

protip:

https://github.com/agowa338/MinecraftSystemdUnit

it's a bit scary and complicated looking, but it's honestly just "drop this there and type this in the terminal".