Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Using multi drives in windows.

Hey there, so on my Personal Rig, i have a 500gb samsung 970 evo as a boot drive with all the OS, drivers, Office and Programs like Steam, BattleNet, origin, and so on. and then i have a 4tb hard drive for mass storage, so all my games and videos, pictures and stuff like that. i wanna add another 4TB Hard Drive (Mostly because I wanna a badass personal Rig, not cause I need it), but is there a way to have a windows drive (example: Mass Storage for me on Windows is D Drive), is there a way to have D drive span multiple physical drives (I honestly just wanna see drive D have 8tb of storage)? don't really wanna use raid cause I don't care about the extra performance and the would rather keep the stuff I already have. 

3 minutes ago, nicholastank2 said:

but is there a way to have a windows drive (example: Mass Storage for me on Windows is D Drive), is there a way to have D drive span multiple physical drives (I honestly just wanna see drive D have 8tb of storage)?

Yes but all the data on the drive currently would be erased.

Quote or at me @Smit Devrukhkar for me to see your replies.

Laptop :

Legion y520

i5 7300hq

1050 4gb oc

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2tb hdd

Server:

Xeon E3 1245

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2*2tb hdd

1 minute ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Yes but all the data on the drive currently would be erased.

Ah, well thanks my dude. if I was to go down the route of erasing everything, would I be raiding them together ?

2 minutes ago, nicholastank2 said:

Ah, well thanks my dude. if I was to go down the route of erasing everything, would I be raiding them together ?

Nope. In windows disk management you can create a spanned volume which basically tells windows its 1 drives but its actually 2. Not sure about this >>>(Also if 1 drive in a spanned volume dies I think all the data is lost)

Quote or at me @Smit Devrukhkar for me to see your replies.

Laptop :

Legion y520

i5 7300hq

1050 4gb oc

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2tb hdd

Server:

Xeon E3 1245

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2*2tb hdd

Yes using the "New Spanned Volume" feature in disk management and like @Smit Devrukhkar if one drive fails you lose all your data in those drives (personal experience). It's basically like a pseudo raid 0

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

So basically, better to have them seperate haha, I was thinking about that being a major issue. but want to see if there would a better way I didn't already know. thanks you guys.