help, Linux

Go to solution Solved by kelvinhall05,

Assuming you have no way to copy the files to either cloud storage or an external drive, I'd make a small Linux partition, install to it, then copy over the pictures and documents to the Linux partition, and once you have everything saved, delete the other partitions and expand the Linux partition to the rest of the drive.

I need help with linux, I want to breath life into my pc because its really old and I'm too poor to upgrade anything, but anyways I want to know if I installing linux wipes all my data, and if it does. are there ways to avoid it deleting like 30K pics and a lot of important documents?

3 minutes ago, CryoNetworking said:

i suggest buying a 10 tb storage usb drive and copy everything there.

buying a 10tb hard drive or not even that a 1tb hard drive is so expensive, prices in my country are really inflated, buying a 1tb hard drive would cost triple the price anywhere else!

22 minutes ago, petabyte2.0 said:

I need help with linux, I want to breath life into my pc because its really old and I'm too poor to upgrade anything, but anyways I want to know if I installing linux wipes all my data, and if it does. are there ways to avoid it deleting like 30K pics and a lot of important documents?

you can do some work to save them ho much free space is on your drive?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

10TB ot 10GB?

Currently, only SATA hard drives exist in 10TB formats (there are 50 and 100 TB SSDs, but they are stupid expensive).

But yes.

Get a 16 or 32GB USB flash drive and put your important files on that, install Linux, then copy your files back.

elephants

-> Moved to  Linux, macOS and Everything Not-Windows

The answer depends on how much free space you have. If you have free space enough, you can create another partition with Linux on it. But you can't clean remains of other OS unless you format(erase) all of it. So overall its best if you check how much storage you need, and either go cloud or physical backup while fixing PC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Assuming you have no way to copy the files to either cloud storage or an external drive, I'd make a small Linux partition, install to it, then copy over the pictures and documents to the Linux partition, and once you have everything saved, delete the other partitions and expand the Linux partition to the rest of the drive.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

okay....but like- HOW????

Just now, petabyte2.0 said:

okay....but like- HOW????

Plenty of guides online.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 hours ago, mahyar said:

you can do some work to save them ho much free space is on your drive?

230GB left (out of 1TB btw)

Plenty of guides online.

time to do research. lol

1 minute ago, petabyte2.0 said:

230GB left (out of 1TB btw)

How many gigabytes of documents and pictures do you need to copy?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

How many gigabytes of documents and pictures do you need to copy?

50GB of stuff 

Just now, petabyte2.0 said:

50GB of stuff 

Yeah that's not that much. Just do what I suggested.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, petabyte2.0 said:

okay, thank you :3

Take your time with the install and make sure you only install to the partition you created and that you don't wipe the rest of the drive, lol.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

6 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Take your time with the install and make sure you only install to the partition you created and that you don't wipe the rest of the drive, lol.

well, Im on linux rn, and ngl its amazing the pc is so smooth its like butter, but yeah, I did the partition thing and it all worked out, thank you.