What type of Linux should I install? (Solved)

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

The most popular versions of GNU/Linux I see for new users are PopOS, Ubuntu, & Manjaro. If you're looking to game on Linux PopOS or Ubuntu using Proton will probably give you the easiest time to setup and get working.

I recently pulled my old desktop out of the box and dusted it off, I then noticed it had better specs then my current PC. So I then got the power cord for it and plugged it in and powered it on. The PC booted to windows 7, I thought why not try out Linux? I loaded a trust able website and saw so many versions of Linux, if someone is an experienced Linux user and knows whats a better value, please tell me. 

3 minutes ago, made zos ion said:

I recently pulled my old desktop out of the box and dusted it off, I then noticed it had better specs then my current PC. So I then got the power cord for it and plugged it in and powered it on. The PC booted to windows 7, I thought why not try out Linux? I loaded a trust able website and saw so many versions of Linux, if someone is an experienced Linux user and knows whats a better value, please tell me. 

I'd recommend Ubuntu

The most popular versions of GNU/Linux I see for new users are PopOS, Ubuntu, & Manjaro. If you're looking to game on Linux PopOS or Ubuntu using Proton will probably give you the easiest time to setup and get working.

8 minutes ago, made zos ion said:

Mint might as well have a "my first Linux" sticker on it, and for good reason. It's an excellent OS. Any of the various flavors of Ubuntu will serve you well as a daily driver, and Mint is actually built on Ubuntu.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

OK, also is there certain specs I need to run them? 

2 minutes ago, made zos ion said:

No, if that pc was running W7 you're far from in a bad spot

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, made zos ion said:

Most of the time you're OK to run any of them on any remotely modern hardware. Usually GNU/Linux is less resource demanding than Windows too so if the hardware is handling 64-bit Windows (7/8/8.1/10) fine it should handle most of the basic Linux distros too.

One issue you may run into is drivers though. Some distributions of Linux don't support Realtek Ethernet adapters very well if at all which were or still are common on AMD motherboards.

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

No, if that pc was running W7 you're far from in a bad spot

Thank god, thank you so much. 

4 minutes ago, made zos ion said:

Also which version of Linux is the easiest to install?

Any of the mentioned distros have GUI installers like Windows. Burn the .ISO to a USB and it's easy to get setup with a user account and password.

Even the server distros that are CLI only have GUI's for the setup process like Ubuntu Server and even CentOS.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Most of the time you're OK to run any of them on any remotely modern hardware. Usually GNU/Linux is less resource demanding than Windows too so if the hardware is handling 64-bit Windows (7/8/8.1/10) fine it should handle most of the basic Linux distros too.

One issue you may run into is drivers though. Some distributions of Linux don't support Realtek Ethernet adapters very well if at all which were or still are common on AMD motherboards.

Well my PC actually has Realtek integrated audio, could that be a compatibility issue?

1 minute ago, made zos ion said:

Well my PC actually has Realtek integrated audio, could that be a compatibility issue?

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS on my main desktop which uses a Realtek S1220A audio controller. I've not had any issues with stereo audio. Haven't tried 5.1 or 7.1 surround so who knows there could be issues there.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS on my main desktop which uses a Realtek S1220A audio controller. I've not had any issues with stereo audio. Haven't tried 5.1 or 7.1 surround so who knows there could be issues there.

Oh, thanks for information it really helps. ill burn a copy of Ubuntu on a flash stick.

22 minutes ago, made zos ion said:

No, not really. A lot of Linux distributions run well on even older hardware, so you're fine. I would personally recommend Mint if you're new to Linux. It should be pretty easy to learn how to use and would make a good starting point for you.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2