Hard crash to black with 3080 - PSU issue?

pimanrules

I bought a FE 3080 as part of my planned 5950X-based build. In the meantime, I put it in my current computer, where it has been running fine since Tuesday. However, last night, after a few hours of playing Overwatch, it started hard crashing to a black screen, before rebooting into Windows. No blue screen, nothing in the Event Log, just a hard crash and reboot. This would continue to happen in Overwatch--never immediately upon starting the game, but always after a few minutes. I was able to reproduce the crash with a Furmark stress test. Limiting the GPU to 50% power in Afterburner seems to be stable (but, of course, it's impossible to say for sure, since the crashes take some time to happen; I haven't tried nailing down exactly how high it can go while remaining stable). 

I'm far from an expert on PC hardware, but this seems like a PSU issue to me, right? I also remember Linus mentioning the 3080 occasionally drawing power spikes, so maybe that's what's happening to me? What's puzzling to me is that it started happening so suddenly, after running fine for a while. A lot of games are CPU limited on my current build, so I haven't been hitting the GPU at 100% much, but like I said, it had run Overwatch for hours, as well as a few hours of Minecraft RTX with no issue. I hadn't tried running a stress test until issues started appearing. Additionally, I have an 850 watt power supply, which should be more than sufficient. On the other hand, it is over 8 years old, and only 80 Plus. Is that likely to be the culprit, or is there something else I should look into? 

Follow up question (and actually my current pressing concern)--as I mentioned, I'm building a new PC, so I'll be buying a new PSU anyway. I was planning on buying some 850 watt 80+ Gold PSU with good reviews, but in light of the issues I'm having, I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to spend a little extra on a Platinum or 1000 watt unit, just for the reassurance. Does this seem wise? 

Specs:

CPU: i7-6700K 

Motherboard: MSI Z170A-G45 

GPU: 3080 FE

PSU: CMPSU-850TX (850 watt, 80 Plus, purchased in 2012)

RAM: F4-3200C16D-32GVK (2x16 GB)

Storage: 1 SSD, 2 7200 RPM HDDs 

Latest BIOS, Windows 10 updates, and game ready drivers

No overclocks, XMP disabled 

GPU connected to two separate 8-pin cables

I forget the exact numbers, but temps looked fine running Furmark

Cooler master power supplies are great for budget builds, however they aren't great for heavy duty builds. That could be one reason as to why it went black.

The geek himself.

6 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Cooler master power supplies are great for budget builds, however they aren't great for heavy duty builds. That could be one reason as to why it went black.

It's actually a Corsair (I suppose the "CM" in the model number is a bit misleading). 

21 minutes ago, pimanrules said:

It's actually a Corsair (I suppose the "CM" in the model number is a bit misleading). 

That's still a pretty old power supply. I have a feeling this is the reason, considering its 8 years old.

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

That's still a pretty old power supply. I have a feeling this is the reason, considering its 8 years old.

That's basically what I thought, so it's good to hear someone agrees. Would it be correct to assume then that any modern, 850-watt, 80+ Gold PSU from a reputable manufacturer would be more than sufficient for a 3080 + 5950X? Is there any merit in stepping up to a Platinum or 1000 watt PSU, or would that just be a waste of money? I'm willing to spend the extra $50-100 if it actually comes with a corresponding increase in reliability, but not if it's not going to make a difference. 

12 hours ago, pimanrules said:

That's basically what I thought, so it's good to hear someone agrees. Would it be correct to assume then that any modern, 850-watt, 80+ Gold PSU from a reputable manufacturer would be more than sufficient for a 3080 + 5950X? Is there any merit in stepping up to a Platinum or 1000 watt PSU, or would that just be a waste of money? I'm willing to spend the extra $50-100 if it actually comes with a corresponding increase in reliability, but not if it's not going to make a difference. 

If you're going with the 3080, I recommend a safe and excellent power supply. These are my recommendations if you want a 850 watt.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VgQG3C/corsair-rmx-2018-850w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020180-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NGCrxr/corsair-hx-platinum-850w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020138-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zhgPxr/evga-supernova-p2-850-w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-p2-0850-x1

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6s448d/asus-850-w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-rog-thor-850p

The geek himself.

I believe the Corsair HX has 10 years warranty.

The geek himself.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll do a bit of research, buy a PSU, and see if it fixes the issue. 

3 hours ago, pimanrules said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll do a bit of research, buy a PSU, and see if it fixes the issue. 

I am wrong, I recommend a 1000W power supply. Your power supply is hitting the overcurrent protection and shutting the computer down. This is due to spikes from the RTX 3080 power draw. Linus explained this in a video. 1000 watt is the safe zone. I believe all those power supplies have a 1000 watt variant.

The geek himself.