Better calibration by eye than with DisplayCAL - am I doing it wrong?

Ginger Penguin

Hi all,

I bought an Xrite i1 Display Studio yesterday and I set up my new monitor and that looks pretty good to me but I was able to adjust the Red, Green and Blue channels in the monitor’s OSD to get the coloured bars at the right level which helped a considerable amount. On my laptop screen, however, I can’t do that and just using the laptop preset (as well as any others), it goes through the process and still has this ugly green cast that I have been able to get rid of just by using the Windows calibration tool by eye.

The thing is, the little readout at the end of the calibration gives good gamut readings and, oddly, pretty good Delta-E readings when I can tell it’s way off which throws into doubt the quality of the calibration of my external monitor if it can’t tell how far off that screen is.

I’m guessing I’m doing something wrong with the setup but I’ve been following guides and I seem to be doing it right. Any help would be much appreciated!

Are you covering the screen and sensor with a blanket or doing the calibration in darkness? 

Some sensors are sensitive to outside light and screens reflecting light/colour from the room. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Yes, the room was in darkness though I didn't cover the screen with anything. I can try it again and see if it makes a difference but I tried it on just the default setting and it was definitely detecting the shift.

IMG_20201017_164556.jpg