Computer Freezing/Not outputting display Randomly

somethingawsome
Go to solution Solved by Mkfish,

With that said, I'd highly recommend running the "check disk" utility in Windows. Chances are it probably is the HDD causing the issues. But you should check that your system is also not over heating in any way, and I'd recommend running Memtest to check your RAM is working properly.

Hi all! 

So, my I built my first computer a number of months ago every now and again it would just freeze (Picture still on screen, non responsive at all) or my display would signal that there was no input signal coming into it. The reset button would do nothing and I would have to hold the power button down to turn it off before restarting again. I didn't take much notice as I ran memtest, Prime95 and furmark to see if I could see any issues and all went ok (Temps were very much ok, all ran with no issues) plus this was happening once every 2 weeks or so. 

Recently (the last day or two) its happened quite a good bit. I was playing CS last night and it happened twice, it also happened 3/4 times today. It SEEMS to be when I'm running a program from my HD (Running SSD and HD combo) so I did a Error scan using HD tune to see if there was any issues there. It's not quite finished yet but I've already come across two damaged sectors. Could this be causing my issues? 

All temps are fine and all plugs/connections have been checked, rechecked and tripple checked! 

HD Tune Image: http://i.imgur.com/UOtfqpg.jpg

(I know its not complete, I will let it continue until it has)

Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K 3.4 GHz (Stock)

Board: MSI Z87-G43

Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengance 

Graphics: Saphire 7950 HD

SSD: Kingston HyperX SSD 120Gb as boot drive

Storage: WD Green 1TB

Power Supply: Corsair Modular CX600W 

Thanks guys! 

Lift Large and Prosper!

It's plausible that the 2 bad sectors you've discovered could be responsible, a good way to check would be to check the S.M.A.R.T status of your drive using either a POST diagnostic, or program like HD Sentinel. If the S.M.A.R.T status reads anything other than healthy then your drive is most definitely on it's way out.

Some of the symptoms you've mentioned sound very much like they could be GPU driver related also. Have you checked that your drivers are on a clean install, and up to date?

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

It's plausible that the 2 bad sectors you've discovered could be responsible, a good way to check would be to check the S.M.A.R.T status of your drive using either a POST diagnostic, or program like HD Sentinel. If the S.M.A.R.T status reads anything other than healthy then your drive is most definitely on it's way out.

Some of the symptoms you've mentioned sound very much like they could be GPU driver related also. Have you checked that your drivers are on a clean install, and up to date?

Hey! Thanks for the reply. 

Just got Sentinel there and although it is saying the status of the drive is "Good" it is down at 70% and gives a warning to keep monitoring the drive! Am I right in thinking this points the finger a little more towards the drive?

I am pretty sure my drivers are running ok for my Graphics card, but I don't think a full uninstall and re-install will hurt anything so Ill give that a try too!

Thanks again! 

Lift Large and Prosper!

With that said, I'd highly recommend running the "check disk" utility in Windows. Chances are it probably is the HDD causing the issues. But you should check that your system is also not over heating in any way, and I'd recommend running Memtest to check your RAM is working properly.

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

Re-installed drivers and "repaired" the disc using chkdsk in CMD. Took about 3 hours, don't know if that's normal but it found a boat load of issues and tried its best to sort them. As of now, I seem to be pretty stable and have not had a crash in quite a while. I will however re-run some tests to check my temps and my ram over the next day or so. Hopefully it keeps on being stable!

Thanks MKfish, Very much Appreciated! 

Lift Large and Prosper!

Yeah that's sort of standard when chkdsk ecounters errors. Hopefully you will remain nice and stable now, and that's the last you'll see of these issues. I'd use this time to make sure that you've backed up any critical data. Chances are though that this stability will be short lived at best. Drives usually tend to deteriorate on an exponential scale once the process begins. I'd look into a replacement as soon as it's feasible :)

Fingers crossed for you though bud! 

Spent the day backing up everything and will be getting a new drive as soon as budgeting allows! Thanks again :D 

Lift Large and Prosper!