Will adding another 8GB RAM get rid of LAG since I'll get 128Bit width ?

Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,

There's only one way to find out. 

Get another 16GB or better a kit (2x8 or 2x16, doesn't really matter as 16GB is beyond enough for gaming) 

If this doesn't help with your issue it's most likely software related (aka your windows install, drivers etc) 

But imo it can't hurt trying since dual channel is surely the way to go. 

Hi

a year ago I built my PC and my specs were 
Core i5 9400F 6C/6T

Rtx 2060

H370 ASUS TuF gaming
and 16x1 Corsair Vengeance (I couldn't get dual channel because i had no money and single channel was cheaper)
Because of that I have gotten significant Lags in games.. because I've seen videos of games working on my same setup with no lag.. but they had dual channel which is 8x2 

My question is if i get same RAM of 8GB..

1x16gb corsair Vengeance @2666 
and 1 x8GB Corsair Vengeance @2666

1. will this combination work??

2. will it help with performance as dual channel will use 128bit channel width instead of one 64bit ?

-> Moved to PC Gaming

What kind of lag are we talking about? Lag is originally networking term and means that something is wrong with your connection to game server. So if you have lag in the original meaning, getting more RAM won't fix it. Now, if you are using "lag" as blanket term, please tell what kind of lag it is and where you see it.

I'm gonna guess that you either have fps drops or warping. Most likely warping. To solve what part of your system is cause, it will help if you can see your system usage when it happens, also what temps look like.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to PC Gaming

What kind of lag are we talking about? Lag is originally networking term and means that something is wrong with your connection to game server. So if you have lag in the original meaning, getting more RAM won't fix it. Now, if you are using "lag" as blanket term, please tell what kind of lag it is and where you see it.

I'm gonna guess that you either have fps drops or warping. Most likely warping. To solve what part of your system is cause, it will help if you can see your system usage when it happens, also what temps look like.

FPS LAG.. I keep using MSI Afterburner and system is decently cool.. the issue is with fps.. 

1. is single channel 16GB ram limiting my performance?? and 

2. can i add 8GB module of same ram Corsair Vengeance 8GB to 16GB which will make 24GB ram total 1x16 and 1x8 ..
and since it'll be added it'll use whole 128bit bandwidth 

15 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

How much lag do you have?

huge stutters in between .. also as new games are coming they're suggesting to use DUAL CHANNEL.. and i only have single channel.. this has been bothering me for a while i since now new games are releasing .. Do i get another 16gb or 8GB?

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang_Rush said:

FPS LAG.. I keep using MSI Afterburner and system is decently cool.. the issue is with fps.. 

1. is single channel 16GB ram limiting my performance?? and 

2. can i add 8GB module of same ram Corsair Vengeance 8GB to 16GB which will make 24GB ram total 1x16 and 1x8 ..
and since it'll be added it'll use whole 128bit bandwidth 

1) Depends on the game, but unlikely since you are on Intel CPU.

2) No. For dual-channel to work, RAM need to be identical. Or thats how it has worked when I was still on the nose of that part of tech.

How much fps will drop, is it "random" or tied to something happening in-game, like much of explosions or new areas loading?

E: Also what games and what settings?

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

1) Depends on the game, but unlikely since you are on Intel CPU.

2) No. For dual-channel to work, RAM need to be identical. Or thats how it has worked when I was still on the nose of that part of tech.

How much fps will drop, is it "random" or tied to something happening in-game, like much of explosions or new areas loading?

E: Also what games and what settings?

I tried playing Watchdogs 2 and it lagged like hell..  the Horizon Zero dawn and almost all the Ubisoft games.. even on low..  and now ubisoft released specs for their new games and specifically asked for dual channel 16gb .. I am wondering if dual channel will help.. 

I have 16gb single channel...  what would you suggest? should i get another 16GB or just leave it as it is.. I need to know practically if dual channel gives more performance..

like this video ..

13 minutes ago, Wolfgang_Rush said:

I tried playing Watchdogs 2 and it lagged like hell..  the Horizon Zero dawn and almost all the Ubisoft games.. even on low..  and now ubisoft released specs for their new games and specifically asked for dual channel 16gb .. I am wondering if dual channel will help.. 

I have 16gb single channel...  what would you suggest? should i get another 16GB or just leave it as it is.. I need to know practically if dual channel gives more performance..

like this video ..

Looking at video, you would get some 20% increase. However, also looking at videos, both have stable fps. So whatever is causing your issues isn't necessarily RAM related. I wouldn't say getting dual channel would fix your issue, while it might get you better overall result if you already had stable fps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Looking at video, you would get some 20% increase. However, also looking at videos, both have stable fps. So whatever is causing your issues isn't necessarily RAM related. I wouldn't say getting dual channel would fix your issue, while it might get you better overall result if you already had stable fps.

Noted.. thanks .. Is there a way to find the issue on my PC which is creating a LAG or performance Drop ???

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang_Rush said:

Noted.. thanks .. Is there a way to find the issue on my PC which is creating a LAG or performance Drop ???

Since resolution doesn't matter, I would try with GPU drivers clean installed. There are probably other things to check, but I'll let someone more used to modern harware and games to tell more about those. Last time I did this kind of thing was with BF4.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Since resolution doesn't matter, I would try with GPU drivers clean installed. There are probably other things to check, but I'll let someone more used to modern harware and games to tell more about those. Last time I did this kind of thing was with BF4.

alright thanks.  Have a good day

There's only one way to find out. 

Get another 16GB or better a kit (2x8 or 2x16, doesn't really matter as 16GB is beyond enough for gaming) 

If this doesn't help with your issue it's most likely software related (aka your windows install, drivers etc) 

But imo it can't hurt trying since dual channel is surely the way to go. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity