DP to HDMI query

Right, so I'm looking into maybe getting a display port cable, but I don't have a monitor. I've just got a Samsung smart TV and I'm not interested in upgrading to a monitor at this time. I'm running my PC with a RTX 2080 with HDMI. I know DP cables have better performance than HDMI and I was thinking about switching to a DP->HDMI cable to see if I can get better performance, but I don't want to spend the money on a new cable if it's not going to have any benefit. Basically my question is: Is it worth it to get a DP to HDMI cable or just stick with HDMI?

P.S.

Probably a dumb question, but I've got NVLink with 2 GPUs, does SLI have any performance impact on DP output?

I can find cables on Amazon for like $20 so I'm not too concerned about the price. but if anyone has any recommendations for high quality DP -> HDMI cables that can output at a stable/decent 4k resolution, I'll take 'em.

Refer to the pinned thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=HDMI

Is there any advantage to using a DP-to-HDMI adapter instead of a straight HDMI connection?

Using a DisplayPort to HDMI passive adapter does not provide any special advantage compared to a straight HDMI-to-HDMI connection. Any additional bandwidth, features, or other advantages of DisplayPort are NOT inherited by using a DP to HDMI adapter instead of a native HDMI output. The connection is limited to only the capabilities supported by HDMI.

5 hours ago, CDL Gaming said:

Right, so I'm looking into maybe getting a display port cable, but I don't have a monitor. I've just got a Samsung smart TV and I'm not interested in upgrading to a monitor at this time. I'm running my PC with a RTX 2080 with HDMI. I know DP cables have better performance than HDMI and I was thinking about switching to a DP->HDMI cable to see if I can get better performance, but I don't want to spend the money on a new cable if it's not going to have any benefit. Basically my question is: Is it worth it to get a DP to HDMI cable or just stick with HDMI?

P.S.

Probably a dumb question, but I've got NVLink with 2 GPUs, does SLI have any performance impact on DP output?

Im pretty sure that the RTX 2080 (going to check RN). not pretty sure, the RTX 2080 has HDMI 2.0 output at list (maybe even 2.1 by now) and HDMI 2.1 is able to do 4K 120 hertz so if the monitor has HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 support then you should have to use DP becasue DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 transfer the same amount of data 

9 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

Im pretty sure that the RTX 2080 (going to check RN). not pretty sure, the RTX 2080 has HDMI 2.0 output at list (maybe even 2.1 by now) and HDMI 2.1 is able to do 4K 120 hertz so if the monitor has HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 support then you should have to use DP becasue DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 transfer the same amount of data 

DP 1.4 transfers almost twice as much as HDMI 2.0.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

DP 1.4 transfers almost twice as much as HDMI 2.0.

But the RTX 2080 supports HDMI 2.1 which does transfer more data then DP 1.4. and yes DP 2 is a thing but I wouldnt bet on stuff supporing it.

15 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

But the RTX 2080 supports HDMI 2.1 which does transfer more data then DP 1.4. and yes DP 2 is a thing but I wouldnt bet on stuff supporing it.

The 2080 only has HDMI 2.0. I was also responding to your statement about HDMI 2.0, not HDMI 2.1.

40 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

The 2080 only has HDMI 2.0. I was also responding to your statement about HDMI 2.0, not HDMI 2.1.

ok got you 

On 10/16/2020 at 2:01 AM, Elad.Evron said:

As an owner of 2 2080's, I can confirm it does not have HDMI 2.1 outputs, otherwise I would be using them. I also know HDMI 2.1 is faster than DP, but I don't have a HDMI 2.1 capable display (or graphics card for that matter), so that's out of the question. I also know DP 1.4 has noticeably better performance than HDMI 2.0. I'm well aware of the benefits of both output methods. What I'm curious about is if I can use a DP to HDMI cable/adapter and get the same performance as a straight DP input or will transferring output data from DP to HDMI output at the same performance as a standard HDMI 2.0 output since that end is what will be plugged into my TV.

Just now, CDL Gaming said:

As an owner of 2 2080's, I can confirm it does not have HDMI 2.1 outputs, otherwise I would be using them. I also know HDMI 2.1 is faster than DP, but I don't have a HDMI 2.1 capable display (or graphics card for that matter), so that's out of the question. I also know DP 1.4 has noticeably better performance than HDMI 2.0. I'm well aware of the benefits of both output methods. What I'm curious about is if I can use a DP to HDMI cable/adapter and get the same performance as a straight DP input or will transferring output data from DP to HDMI output at the same performance as a standard HDMI 2.0 output since that will be what is plugged into my TV.

OK, then i was worng 

So does anybody know if there's a performance boost with DP -> HDMI over regular HDMI? Or is it pointless for me to swap cables?