2 GPU for More Monitors

Notooorious

Hi all,

Sort of a hypothetical question but maybe not if it will work......

If I install another GPU (lets say a 3080) to power some triples for sim racing, can I also run my existing 1060 to power 2 or 3 desktop monitors for productivity purposes?

I know I can daisy chain supported monitors but would like to avoid buying and selling monitors and just use what I have, as I will be purchasing matching triples for the sim rig.

Cheers guys!

Can't you just use 3 monitors with 1 gpu?

It's not like you gonna race and work at the same time.

Hypothetically yes, it can be done.

Is it worth the effort? No.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

unless your primary gpu ran out of outputs (and if igpu isnt an option) there is no use for adding a second gpu for additional displays.

Like the others said, yes, adding GPU’s ups the amount of displays you can output to. The question of why you need this still stands. But yes, that is how it works. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

thanks all for the quick responses.

Yes, it's a bit of a stretch in terms of necessity however if you consider that the 3/4 monitor setup will be mounted via vesa brackets to an aluminium cockpit and not to my work desk then I hope that give you an idea, ill attach a photo below of something similar.

I'm just tossing some ideas around in my head trying to work out the best solution without purchasing an extra system dedicated to work/gaming.

Ideally would like to build similar to the picture attached, next to my work desk, running off 1 PC.

I currently run 4 monitors off my 1060, and in a perfect world I would like to grab a 3080 to run triple 240hz monitors + a 60hz mounted over the middle on the sim rig.

I'm just wondering what the most "economical" approach to this config might look like as I require basically the same specs for gaming as I do productivity.

Cheers!

simlab p1x.jpg