Dell XPS 15 9500

I'm a bit conflicted. Currently I'm using a very old Lenovo X201 as my main machine running a linux distro and I'm using an old surface pro 4 with windows for school work + casual gaming during the holidays and I've been planning for a while to upgrade to a single Dell XPS 13 (+egpu) or a Dell XPS 15 running linux; given COVID and all I've settled for "I can get the 15' model since I won't use it around a lot".

I'm at the point where I'm pushing my X201 and the Pro 4 at their limits and I've been looking at getting the newest XPS 15 (new Dell XPS 15 9500 - bloody naming) but I noticed that they've recently released the XPS 13 with Tiger Lake and I'm now wondering if I should wait for a XPS 15 refresh...

What do folks here think: should I get an XPS 15 now or wait a bit for a refreshed model with newer processors?

I'm not sure if the jump from 10th to 11th gen is worth the wait and I'm not even sure how long the wait is...

What do you do with your system?

XPS systems are good, but their quality control is weak.

-An XPS owner

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Lots of web browsing including some video-calls/meetings

Coding

Sometimes I might also do:

some casual gaming (Factorio/Satisfactory/Subnautica/..)

watch movies

run a VM

Currently mostly using it for school (university) but during the summer or when I'll graduate then it becomes more of a coding/entertainment machine

---

Slottr (or anyone else with an xps) - any experience running linux on it?

14 minutes ago, stefanovazzocell said:

It'll probably be fine. Speakers aren't the best thing in the world, but the keyboard is fairly decent and so is the screen. Plus battery life is long

I run Ubuntu on my XPS, I've never bumped into any driver errors or anything. I do lots of programming across the board- outside of iOS stuff.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P