Trucks are off topic right?

thebrain36
Go to solution Solved by thebrain36,

I filtered out some nasty fuel and it started. 

i have a 1975 Chevy C10 and I finally have money to fix it (I think this is tech related because this is technology!). Any ways, long story short, it turns over and it'll even run (with oil pressure and all) but as soon as I stop twisting the key into the run position it dies. Btw, I changed the fuel filter, the oil is fine (not great, but fine), and I put brand new gas in the other day (about 4 gallons). Smoke was coming out of the exhaust with nice good puffs every revolution (it was really satisfying to see, even though it's not running great yet) and a couple time after letting go of the key, a puff of smoke would come out of the carb... not sure what any of this means which is why I'm here. Any help is appreciated. 

p.s. if i wasn't supposed to talk about this here... whoops... I couldn't find the car topic that I thought i've seen here before.

I'm no Car Professional, but it sounds like *quickly googles the question* it's a bad ignition switch or a TFI module that needs replacin'

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

2 minutes ago, Rybo said:

*quickly googles the question* it's a bad ignition switch or a TFI module that needs replacin'

I tried googling it, but I didn't get any answer that fit my odd criteria... if that makes any sense. I'll look into these two things. thanks!

1 minute ago, thebrain36 said:

I tried googling it, but I didn't get any answer that fit my odd criteria... if that makes any sense. I'll look into these two things. thanks!

Wasn't meant as an "LMGTFY" post, btw, just an attempt to get a dry chuckle out of people and to offer advice that seemed to be plausible solutions to the problem you posted. 

If I may clarify, though, would you say the engine seems to be running perfectly fine other than the fact that it stops once the starter disengages?  That's the impression I got from your post.  Thus, it was the topic of my search criteria and what the answers I found are trying to solve for.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

1 minute ago, Rybo said:

you say the engine seems to be running perfectly fine

I appreciate the joke btw because that's exactly what I do sometimes when I help people on this website... moving on..

No it doesn't run perfectly fine. I can get it to start at what feels like normal RPM (there's no gauge on this truck for RPM) but there's a whole lot of this

*crank crank crank brr brh BRHHHH brh BRHH crank brr crank... etc.*

^^^^

it's right here where I'm like "ooh yay it's started!" all while holding the key in the run position. and as soon as i let go of key, it turns off

That's some good onamonapia if you ask me btw. My current theory is the engine isn't getting enough fuel. Let me know your thoughts.

Not many people of computer know-how would be into repairing cars and trucks, not to say they'd have a favorite but would they even have a real set of tools, sockets and wrenches to begin with.

18 hours ago, Orange1 said:

would they even have a real set of tools, sockets and wrenches to begin with.

i figured that would be the case xd

No big deal; I found other forums that are meant for such a topic.

18 hours ago, Orange1 said:

Not many people of computer know-how would be into repairing cars and trucks, not to say they'd have a favorite but would they even have a real set of tools, sockets and wrenches to begin with.

As a minor thats a just a tiny bit obsesed with tech for the past ~3 years, I dissagree. I love working on vehicals,  and kinda wish I could drive them.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I love working on vehicles

Me too! Working on computer is fun and challenging, but scale it up and give it an engine and suddenly you've got a whole new experience.

Just now, thebrain36 said:

Me too! Working on computer is fun and challenging, but scale it up and give it an engine and suddenly you've got a whole new experience.

I have to bend my arms in very similat positions for both, so there not much of a diffrence, except amount of grease.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler