Corsair rm850x question

fastjoe90

I just installed an RM850X in my PC, and noticed whenever I turn the switch off on the PSU for whatever reason (noticed when I decided to go back into the case and rearrange some wires), when I flip the switch on and press the case button, there’s a noticeable 3-5 second delay before the PC actually powers up. The old rm750x didn’t do this. Anyone know what’s going on? Should I try to return it?

How often are you flipping the PSU switch and why? I have the same PSU in white, and I've not had any problems with it.

Im not really flipping it off often. I just installed it, played some games, then turned it off/unplugged it to move some wires around, and noticed when I flipped the switch back on and pressed the case button it took a few seconds to do anything. When I power down normally and reboot with the button it works as expected. 

1 hour ago, fastjoe90 said:

The old rm750x didn’t do this. 

Are you sure?

This would be a motherboard issue.  Not a PSU issue.

I didn’t experience this with the 750. Since you mentioned it though, I did update the BIOS a few weeks back so maybe that had something to do with it. 

10 minutes ago, fastjoe90 said:

I didn’t experience this with the 750. Since you mentioned it though, I did update the BIOS a few weeks back so maybe that had something to do with it. 

A lot of times, if you kill power to the +5VSB (which the memory uses on modern PC's to save XMP or AMP timing settings) the motherboard has to "reboot" a number of times to recalculate those settings.

Fortunately, flipping the switch on the back of the PSU is something you're not supposed to do very often unless you're inside the PC changing parts around.

Alright. Since I was curious I shoved the old 750 back in just to observe.. and yes the very first press of the button has the same delay so I guess I’m not as observant as I should be lol. Interesting, though. What you said does make sense. Just me worrying for no reason I guess