Budget raid controller recommendations?

Pa1yn

Running linux server, just unsure what raid card i should get instead of software raid. I have sata HDDs but i'd like the possibility of sas in the future using breakout cables

You should probably go software raid. how many drives? What raid config?

Softwaer raid is better for most uses here. Just plug the drives into your board and use zfs or md on linux to setup the raid. ZFS is my pick and also gives you many more data protection features than hardware raid.

THen just get a hba if you need more drives, id get something with a lsi controller like a dell h200.

18 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Running linux server, just unsure what raid card i should get instead of software raid.

If you want hardware raid on a budget, the LSI 9260-8i is about the best value. Make sure you get a battery as well to enable the cache as well as provide some protection against inflight data and raid configuration. 

18 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

I have sata HDDs but i'd like the possibility of sas in the future using breakout cables

"Breakout cables" are for SAS > SATA or SATA > SAS.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

If you want hardware raid on a budget, the LSI 9260-8i is about the best value. Make sure you get a battery as well to enable the cache as well as provide some protection against inflight data and raid configuration. 

"Breakout cables" are for SAS > SATA or SATA > SAS.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You should probably go software raid. how many drives? What raid config?

Softwaer raid is better for most uses here. Just plug the drives into your board and use zfs or md on linux to setup the raid. ZFS is my pick and also gives you many more data protection features than hardware raid.

THen just get a hba if you need more drives, id get something with a lsi controller like a dell h200.

Well if my os decides to go screw me and breaks I'm kinda screwed lmao

1 minute ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Well if my os decides to go screw me and breaks I'm kinda screwed lmao

If your os has a issue, your software raid will be fine. You can just boot into a live disk or put the drives into anouther system and get your data back. Its normally easier to recieve data from a issue in software raid than hardware raid. And ifthere was a corruption issue with the os, hardware raid will still have the same issue.

To elaborate some more on what Electronics Wizardy said. If a hardware raid card dies, you have to get the exact same card with the esact same firmware. Otherwise there is a high chance the data is gone (Not always, but most of the time). Software to manage a raid is replacable, hardware is too, but way harder and more complicated.

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 5950x | 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz | XFX Reference 6800 XT | MSI Unify X570 | Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | bequiet 850W Straight Power 11

Server: Ryzen 5 3600 | 4x32GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz | Asrock Rack X470D4U | Samsung EVO Plus 250GB, 6x Seagate Exos 8TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | bequiet 550W Straight Power 11

14 hours ago, Jisagi said:

To elaborate some more on what Electronics Wizardy said. If a hardware raid card dies, you have to get the exact same card with the esact same firmware. Otherwise there is a high chance the data is gone (Not always, but most of the time). Software to manage a raid is replacable, hardware is too, but way harder and more complicated.

You really don't need the same card with the same FW. It just needs to be a similar card that uses the same logic to understand the RAID configuration data.

The LSI 9200 (SAS2008) cards are very cheap and very widely available. There's also the 9300, 9400 & 9500 series that are backwards compatible with importing your RAID. They're so dirt cheap the old LSI 9260's you could just buy 2 and have 1 as a spare. 

Just to put the concern into perspective...

I have 6 RAID Cards, and 4 HBA's at home, and i've been using hardware controllers since ~2003..i've never had one die.

I also support approx ~4k servers across 6 DC's and have maybe once in the last 8 years had a controller die...we took a spare out of stock and replaced it within a couple of hours. It's just not a common occurrence.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

All RAID configuration data and array metadata is written on each drive in the header, so you can always easily replace the hardware RAID controller and it will acknowledge the config. It should be the same manufacturer, but it can be any other RAID controller.

LSI 3108 is what I used for last 5 years and it works just perfectly. It might be not the "best value" RAID controller from LSI, but absolutely brilliant. You can take a look at LSI 9341 as an alternative.

I use an IBM M1015 flashed into IT mode on my FreeNAS server. 

You wont need to flash it to IT mode if you're doing hardware RAID. 

I can't stop spending money my stupid home lab, help.