The Graphics Card upgrade question....2014 Version.....

Massa9

I am considering buying another GTX 770. I have a PNYGTX7702gb. This is an odd time to buy a GPU when you consider all the variables that can come into play over the next year.....I have been really interested in AMD's low level API "Mantle" since reading about it in October of last year. What I have seen in online video reviews and read about the Manlte API are not making the impression on me that I thought it would. In the last Wan Show I think Linus talked briefly about Mantle summed it up quite well about it's poor backward compatibility and the fact that only one game supports it right now. So Direct X 12....I hope this is not BS...I am really looking forward to DX12 and from what I have heard it is taking the low level API approach and I am very grateful that MS is deciding to give us a new Direct 3D API.....So i don't know when DX11 first launched but I do know that the first DX11 GPU to launch is the Radeon HD 5870. If you look at the Radeon HD 6870..  (it was over $100 cheaper and it significantly less powerful and has 1120 Stream Processors compared to the HD 5870's 1600 and performed just as well on DX11 titles.)  So I imagine it won't be perfect for the first DX12 GPU to hit the market.

I really like what I am seeing from Nvidia's Maxwell architecture. The GTX 750 ti is performing very well so I imagine the higher end Maxwell GPU's will be no slouch.  I don't know if Maxwell will be DX12 or not. For some reason I have a feeling that Nvidia would like to milk Kelper a bit longer yet as the 780 ti has just hit the marked late least year. And I have not seen any benchmarks from the Titan Black yet. But I digress....I hope I made some sense and did not sound like an idiot. I do not know when Windows 9 is going to be available but I read that DX12 is most likely going to be bundled with it. I would appreciate any feedback at all. 

It shouldn't be a super long time before we see DX12 I would suspect. Maybe Q3-Q4 would be my guess before we start hearing about its completion. Mantle isn't made to be proprietary. It's made to go to any system (Says AMD.), so even if DX12 doesn't happen anytime soon, Mantle isn't supposed to stay an exclusive either.

Either way, I wouldn't become an AMD fanboy, for Mantle. It's a temporary thing that AMD is the only one with it.

Also, Direct X 12 will be backwards compatible with hardware (I would expect.)

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

It's gunna be great when NVIDIA finally launch their Maxwell GTX 800 series, like the OP said, the GTX 750 Ti has performed really well and one can only imagine how much better the GTX 800 series will be. It would be good, however, for NVIDIA to wait until they can implement the 20/22mm process for the 800 series because I think the GPUs would really perform outstandingly better than they would at 28nm. This is to not say that even if they did do them on 28nm that they would be sluggish, not by any means, I just believe that they'd perform significantly better than the 700 series if they waited. But I also know that that means consumers have to wait too and so I guess it all depends on how much demand there is for the GTX 800 series as to whether or not NVIDIA will wait until they can implement the 22nm process as oppose to the current 28nm. We'll just have to wait and see. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I am considering buying another GTX 770. I have a PNYGTX7702gb. This is an odd time to buy a GPU when you consider all the variables that can come into play over the next year.....I have been really interested in AMD's low level API "Mantle" since reading about it in October of last year. What I have seen in online video reviews and read about the Manlte API are not making the impression on me that I thought it would. In the last Wan Show I think Linus talked briefly about Mantle summed it up quite well about it's poor backward compatibility and the fact that only one game supports it right now. So Direct X 12....I hope this is not BS...I am really looking forward to DX12 and from what I have heard it is taking the low level API approach and I am very grateful that MS is deciding to give us a new Direct 3D API.....So i don't know when DX11 first launched but I do know that the first DX11 GPU to launch is the Radeon HD 5870. If you look at the Radeon HD 6870..  (it was over $100 cheaper and it significantly less powerful and has 1120 Stream Processors compared to the HD 5870's 1600 and performed just as well on DX11 titles.)  So I imagine it won't be perfect for the first DX12 GPU to hit the market.

I really like what I am seeing from Nvidia's Maxwell architecture. The GTX 750 ti is performing very well so I imagine the higher end Maxwell GPU's will be no slouch.  I don't know if Maxwell will be DX12 or not. For some reason I have a feeling that Nvidia would like to milk Kelper a bit longer yet as the 780 ti has just hit the marked late least year. And I have not seen any benchmarks from the Titan Black yet. But I digress....I hope I made some sense and did not sound like an idiot. I do not know when Windows 9 is going to be available but I read that DX12 is most likely going to be bundled with it. I would appreciate any feedback at all. 

I am of the view that we are on a electronic advancement that is changing so quickly that i would not recommend any CPU or GPU purchase at the moment and i would save up and wait until later this year or early next year to purchase.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I always get my upgrades for stuff I play now, not for stuff I might play in the future. So the question is, is there any games in the near future/today that you aren't able to play?

In that case get that GPU now. I had to upgrade my gpu due to memory limits. Most of the games I play requires more than 2GB RAM on the GPU, so I choose to upgrade to a singe r9 290 with 4GB on board.

I am of the view that we are on a electronic advancement that is changing so quickly that i would not recommend any CPU or GPU purchase at the moment and i would save up and wait until later this year or early next year to purchase.

I would personally half disagree.

CPU's aren't advancing. Almost at all.

Look at the differences between a 3770k, and a 4770k. Almost non existent.

CPU's are a very slowing market, because there's no competition. AMD stopped their FX line, so Intel isn't trying to keep ahead anymore.

It's a Monopoly of the enthusiast market.

GPU's on the other hand, I totally agree. I would wait for Maxwell.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME