Difference between SFP+ Cables

PenguinMaster

Is there a difference between these two SFP+ cables? One has a red pcb and the other has a green pcb, but they have the same model number. Is there any reason I should choose one over the other? I noticed one is bent and the other is circular, not sure if bending the cable like that affects it at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143755738832

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324098702362

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

I can’t identify this difference you speak of.  One is a pic of a single cable.  The other is a pic of a box of a bunch of them.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Like most stuff Cisco parts are made by multiple vendors/batches with revisions. So very well should be identical electrically. As for the bend would be a problem, you should avoid tight bends in cables but they are pretty flexible.

I bought the one that didn't have excessive bends because of the difference in delivery times. The one that was "coiled" was coming in a week where as the other one wasn't expected until January. 

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

3 hours ago, Chickenfans said:

I bought the one that didn't have excessive bends because of the difference in delivery times. The one that was "coiled" was coming in a week where as the other one wasn't expected until January. 

Good move, I'm fairly sure coax should NOT be bent that tightly, could stretch the sheathing as well as break the core.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 10/15/2020 at 10:14 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Good move, I'm fairly sure coax should NOT be bent that tightly, could stretch the sheathing as well as break the core.

The bends that they were shouldn't be an issue, also isn't COAX, it's just stranded copper.

22 hours ago, Rhyst9 said:

The bends that they were shouldn't be an issue, also isn't COAX, it's just stranded copper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinaxial_cabling#SFP+_Direct-Attach_Copper_(10GSFP+Cu)

Also note the bend radius table.

Those cables will almost certainly have suffered some damage to their outer mesh so they are no longer properly RF shielded, and may also have stretched or cracked the cores (not sure if they are solid copper but I'd suspect so).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Agree that they maybe bent more than the technical spec of the cable, I doubt that those bends would have caused any serious damage and probably work just fine, but as stated it should be avoided to limit an issues.