Wait for Zen 3 or just buy Zen 2?

cudd

I am about to purchase my own custom-built PC but now that I've seen the news on the Zen 3 CPUs coming out on the 2nd of November, I am hesitating to buy a Zen 2 CPU since I feel like the Zen 3 would be way more worth it. So should I wait, or just settle for a Zen 2?

Edited by cudd

2nd gen is Ryzen 5 2600, Ryzen 7 2700, etc. Third gen is Ryzen 3000.

confusing since the architecture names don't add up at all, but there's no "+" generation so...

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Hi guys, sorry for the misunderstanding, I don't really know much about PC parts, especially AMD. I have edited the post already.

10 minutes ago, cudd said:

I am about to purchase my own custom-built PC but now that I've seen the news on the 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs coming out on the 2nd of November, I am hesitating to buy a 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU since I feel like the 3rd Gen would be way more worth it. So should I wait, or just settle for a 2nd Gen?

As the previous guys have pointed out, when you are talking about "3rd gen" you mean Zen3 which is Ryzen 5000, right? If that's the case, have you seen the presentation, the slides, the benchmarks? If so, do you like what you see and are you willing to wait for it? If yes, just wait, if no, buy the current gen, because actual benchmarks of the new gen are most likely not gonna be better than the ones presented by AMD. No company underhypes their products!

5 minutes ago, cudd said:

Hi guys, sorry for the misunderstanding, I don't really know much about PC parts, especially AMD. I have edited the post already.

Like mentioned earlier, Zen 3 5000 series CPUs are looking pretty promising. If the reviews show some banger performance, totally worth waiting for.

Also AMD has a habit of reducing prices of their last gen when a new line comes out, so a 3000 series part would be even better value in a month's time

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I don't know why we're even entertaining the question. Clearly you are in no rush to buy, because if you were, you would have ordered already. You've seen the performance for Zen 3, so wait for Zen 3. Its only like 3 weeks away this should be a no brainer. It's like some of these people are kids in a candy store, except your talking about 400-600 dollar parts. If you want something that will last you just wait. 

when the 3700x came out the 2700x dropped in price massively so if you want to save some money 

32 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

when the 3700x came out the 2700x dropped in price massively so if you want to save some money 

The price drop was inevitable, since the 3700x dropped in the same price slot as the 2700x (330USD), which is not the case now. 5800x is significantly more expensive than 3700x and there is no reason to drop the old gen's price :/

Hope I'm wrong though