970 evo plus overheating ?

Marijanusic

Recently i made a tread about what nvme should i get and well as you can probably tell from the title i got the Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb now the problem I'm facing (if its a problem)is that it seams its running a little hot. Now I don't know if that's normal or not i have of air flow in the case with 2 fans in the front 1 at the back as exhaust and plus 2 more at the top as exhaust
Now it is worth noting that the 970 evo is located on B350 gigabyte gaming motherboard which has only 1 nvme slot under the GPU and as far as it goes its clear that the gpu does not affect on the ssd temp since its sitting way below the Gpu temp 
This temp was recorded only using Google chrome and a movie in the background 
i also want to say that while gaming the temp of 970 evo plus reaches about 60C while max recorded temp on the HW monitor was 77 while i was copying something i think cant recall really 

1095962548_pctemps.thumb.jpg.4197e94327396622207f3264f082e0ab.jpg

If it's under the GPU that's probably the reason why. That said NVME drives like to run warmer, so it's not actually a concern

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

60c underload is pretty normal for me, have had it reach 70c under heavy load, but usually runs about 60 under regular load. you can always get a heatsink.

49 minutes ago, Marijanusic said:

and as far as it goes its clear that the gpu does not affect on the ssd temp since its sitting way below the Gpu temp 

if it's under the gpu, it will get toasty, and nvme's are meant to run a bit warm. this above statement makes no sense. it is not going to be the same temp as the gpu for a number of reasons, but it is still probably adding to the nvme's temp.

1 hour ago, Marijanusic said:

i also want to say that while gaming the temp of 970 evo plus reaches about 60C while max recorded temp on the HW monitor was 77 while i was copying something i think cant recall really 

60-70c is probably normal, i've seen worse like 80-90c.

put a heatsink on it, it does magic.

i have a pm981 (similar to 970) without heatsink 70-80c.

with heatsink + a small fan 40-50c all day.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I am afraid to put a heatsink on it since as far as i know it requires the stock sticker on it to be removed which will void my warranty, so i will keep monitoring it since it only rises in temp when transferring files or installing on it and it seams I'm not the only one with the issue
I was mainly worried about it running way hotter then my previous drive with temp difference about 30c 

Does the 970 Evo Plus really get that hot? My SX8200 Pro is sitting at 28c on idle right now, in a laptop. Never seen it go over 40c, even in long gaming sessions. Highest temp ever measured is 55c.

I installed Adata's included heatsink, btw. Don't know if that helps in lowering the temps.

5 minutes ago, pilot35 said:

Does the 970 Evo Plus really get that hot? My SX8200 Pro is sitting at 28c on idle right now, in a laptop. Never seen it go over 40c, even in long gaming sessions. Highest temp ever measured is 55c.

I installed Adata's included heatsink, btw. Don't know if that helps in lowering the temps.

970 EVO Plus does get hot. 60+ degrees when under a medium load for some time. I was not too confident to try 100% load for prolonged time when it reached near 70C.

Thats why I switched to 8200 Pro - with motherboard heatsink temps rarely near 50. 

I edit my posts more often than not

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

970 EVO Plus does get hot. 60+ degrees when under a medium load for some time. I was not too confident to try 100% load for prolonged time when it reached near 70C.

Thats why I switched to 8200 Pro - with motherboard heatsink temps rarely near 50. 

I'm glad I got the SX8200 Pro. I always thought it is inferior to the more expensive 970 Evo Plus. At those temps, my laptop palmrest will be blistering hot.