XLR vs USB

madman1876

Just noticed that you can get xlr to usb converters for pretty low cost so i was wondering are there any xlr mics in the $100 price range that are better than something like a blue yeti?

Loves PC Games :D

Just noticed that you can get xlr to usb converters for pretty low cost so i was wondering are there any xlr mics in the $100 price range that are better than something like a blue yeti?

The Audiotechnica AT2020 is a really good microphone but it's $169 USD.

The Blue Yeti isn't XLR so you can't really compare it. On the other hand the Blue Yeti Pro does have XLR which is $187 USD . 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

XLR just gives you more control over which interface you use - USB is perfect for one-mic setups at home.

The Blue Yeti isn't XLR so you can't really compare it. On the other hand the Blue Yeti Pro does have XLR which is $187 USD . 

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT2020-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0006H92QK but you have to get an adapter that gives phantom power

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

XLR just gives you more control over which interface you use - USB is perfect for one-mic setups at home.

Sorry if the title was misleading which it seams to be but It wasn't really my intention to compare xlr and usb but to compare the audio quality of xlr microphones vs the popular usb ones 

Sorry if the title was misleading which it seams to be but It wasn't really my intention to compare xlr and usb but to compare the audio quality of xlr microphones vs the popular usb ones 

My answer still applies.

My answer still applies.

Agreed, but from a hardware standpoint some xlr's in the price bracket could be better

The XLR mics usually needs to be hooked up to a mixer which connects to your computer via USB anyways. Unless you really want to use multiple mics for whatever reason, just your regular desktop USB mics should be fine, since most people probably won't be able to tell the difference anyways over something like Skype or even in podcasts.

Current PC: AMD FX8320 || PNY GTX 770 || 2x4GB || ASUS M5A97 || Corsair TX 750 V2 || Asus Essence STX || CM Storm Enforcer
Peripherals: Logitech G500S || Cooler Master Quickfire TK || Audio-Technica AT2020 || Focusrite iTrack Solo || Q701 + DT990 Pro

Don't forget that condensor XLR mics (thanks @t0wer) NEED phantom power otherwise they won't run. I don't know what kind of converter you were looking at but you need a phantom power supply/preamp in order for the mic to work. Something like a Blue Icicle or a mixer/audio interface.

And to answer your question, the sound quality is about the same, unless of course you buy a mixer which can add effects etc.

THE signature

Don't forget that XLR mics NEED phantom power otherwise they won't run.

That would be condenser mics, dynamic mics don't need phantom power, and phantom power can damage some ribbon mics iirc.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

You can get battery powered condenser mica but you wouldn't want to be swapping over battery's all the time,

If your XLR converter has phantom power I see a lot of people using se2200a mice in a computer setup but they are a little out of the price range you are looking in.

USB condenser mics as ShearMe said are perfect for one mic home set ups

was

The XLR mics usually needs to be hooked up to a mixer which connects to your computer via USB anyways. Unless you really want to use multiple mics for whatever reason, just your regular desktop USB mics should be fine, since most people probably won't be able to tell the difference anyways over something like Skype or even in podcasts.

Don't forget that condensor XLR mics (thanks @t0wer) NEED phantom power otherwise they won't run. I don't know what kind of converter you were looking at but you need a phantom power supply/preamp in order for the mic to work. Something like a Blue Icicle or a mixer/audio interface.

And to answer your question, the sound quality is about the same, unless of course you buy a mixer which can add effects etc.

You can get battery powered condenser mica but you wouldn't want to be swapping over battery's all the time,

If your XLR converter has phantom power I see a lot of people using se2200a mice in a computer setup but they are a little out of the price range you are looking in.

USB condenser mics as ShearMe said are perfect for one mic home set ups

That would be condenser mics, dynamic mics don't need phantom power, and phantom power can damage some ribbon mics iirc.

Yea I did a little research yesterday after posting this and then i realized how complex it is.

Does anyone know much about the mxl 990?