Audiophile Headphones or Gaming Headset

So I've finished building my new gaming and media PC and soon I'll have enough money again to buy a proper set of headphones that I've been in dire need of for a long time. I read through the FAQ and theorized that I probably don't need to upgrade my onboard audio chip, and if I do it'll probably be a desktop amplifier like the FiiO E17 or something like that. I would consider myself a budding audio appreciator and although I'm not in love with the sound quality of my ASRock Extreme4, it is an improvement over my previous setup. And besides, upgrading my sound source may not improve the quality in ways that I want, so I'm focusing instead on a set closed-back headphones for both gaming, movies and music.

But I have a question:

Set of audiophile headphones and a separate lapel microphone?

or

Professional wireless gaming headset?

I generally use descreet in-earphones (Ultimate Ears 700's) when out and about, but I would like to try a set of headphones and see how it fares. For home use I will definitley be taking advantage of the headphones (or my M-Audio AV40 speakers) because of the additional noise isolation, comfort (I find in-earphones to make my ears itchy after only an hour of use), immersion, and arguably improved audio quality.

I have a budget of around £250, but the headsets and headphones that I've been looking at are more expensive so I may need to adjust by saving up for another few weeks. I do believe in buying an extremely high quality set of headphones, because unlike other hardware (like graphics cards), they can last for decades and perform beautifully all throughout that time. I still have decent headphones lying around that my mother used to listen to her Black Sabbath and Genesis records on in her youth. They're huge and uncomfortable, but the sound and build quality is still there. In other words, I'm willing to put forward the extra money because I consider it a solid investment.

The problem is, I'm not sure which route to take. The headphone option with a separate mic makes more sense because it will have higher quality sound, but I prefer the idea of a wireless gaming headset that also performs well with music and movies. The headsets I'm looking at are the Astro A40/50's, Steelseries H Wireless, Turtle Beach Ear Force XP510, Logitech G930, Sennheiser PC363D, Beyerdynamic MMX300, and maybe a coupe of other variations of the same themes. The headphones I'm looking at are the Sony MDR 7506, PSB M4U1, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro/Premium, V-Moda Crossfade M100's, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, AKG K550/551, and whatever else in that bracket.

What do you folks suggest? There is convenience in a wireless gaming headset like the Astro A50's because they function on all consoles, which will be essential for me. But then there is great convenience in having a 'better' sounding set of headphones that can used for everything including going to the shops to buy some chocolate. Thoughts? Sorry for the long post. I tend to get carried away. Awesome site you have here, by the way.

Welcome! Do you prefer closed or open back headphones? Would you have a problem with a desktop mic, or would you rather not take that space up?

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Professional wireless gaming headset?

That's an oxymoron :P

The NAD Viso HP50 is what I think you should consider getting. They sound great and felt sturdy & comfortable when I tried them in-store.

The NAD Viso HP50 is what I think you should consider getting. They sound great and felt sturdy & comfortable when I tried them in-store.

I can eat for months with 300 bucks lol, expensive =p

Hah!!!

I honestly don't have an opinion on wireless vs wired. What are your thoughts on it? I know some swear by wires, and it obviously makes sense why, but is it really necessary? I'm a guitarist and I know I'd never go wireless, but is it the same situation?

Welcome! Do you prefer closed or open back headphones? Would you have a problem with a desktop mic, or would you rather not take that space up?

Thanks, man!

Closed-back is what I would prefer, whilst still being as breathable as possible, if that's possible. I have an 8-year-old sister who I ended up never wanting to leave after she was born (I'm approaching 26), but she is damn noisy sometimes. I'd like to be able to block that out for a couple of hours in the day. Plus, if I'm playing a shooter, I don't want to here to hear some guy in Far Cry have his face shot off. :/ I doubt I'll be using the headphones for longer than three hours at a time. I don't game for longer than that on my PC because I get distracted too easily. I would game for longer on my TV in my bedroom with my consoles.

Edit: I forgot to answer one of your questions, sorry! I don't mind having a desktop mic, no. I don't think it'll be ideal for console gaming in my particular case, but it could be manageable if the microphone had decent sentivity and gain and could pick up my voice a few feet away. I definitely would feel more safe knowing that the mic was close to me, though. That could just be some weird 'tick' I have.

Hah!!!

I honestly don't have an opinion on wireless vs wired. What are your thoughts on it? I know some swear by wires, and it obviously makes sense why, but is it really necessary? I'm a guitarist and I know I'd never go wireless, but is it the same situation?

Thanks, man!

Closed-back is what I woudl prefer, whilst still being as breathable as possible, if that's possible. I have an 8-year-old sister who I ended up never wanting to leave after she was born (I'm approaching 26), but she is damn noisy sometimes. I'd like to be able to block that out for a couple of hours in the day. Plus, if I'm playing a shooter, I don't want to here to hear some guy in Far Cry have his face shot off. :/ I doubt I'll be using the headphones for longer than three hours at a time. I don't game for longer than that on my PC because I get distracted too easily. I would game for longer on my TV in my bedroom with my consoles.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro with a seperate mic imo. Saves you a little bit of $$$

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro with a seperate mic imo. Saves you a little bit of $$$

I've heard great things about the DT range. I'll look the 770's up. It'll match my graphics card!

I can eat for months with 300 bucks lol, expensive =p

But you can game for twenty years, which is a lot more important than that food schtuff. ;) Well, as long as they're as well made today as they once were.

< <

> >

What mic are you using to pair with them? Are they versatile enough to function excellently with all media? I'm not doing any intensive sound editing, just listening to music, watching movies, TV, Youtube, and of course playing a variety of games.

It's not that wireless cannot be good, it's that there's no good wireless headphones (for sitting at the computer - there's a few designed for portable use that are good). Gaming headsets are really the only option for reliable connectivity, but they don't have near as good sound quality as headphones from an audio company.

Wireless headphones is one of those niche markets where the people buying them want convenience but don't want to pay more than they would for "ordinary" headphones, so innovation is really lacking. 

I getcha.

After doing some more reading, it appears that I'm at a loss. Ha! I think the Beyerdynamic DT 770's are perfect, but what impedance should I go for? Although the FAQ suggests I don't need an amp, DAC, sound card or anything extra, a few other threads on LinusTechTips talk about the importance of providing ample power to something like the 80ohm versions of the 770's, and also that the sound quality will be optimal, at least within a budget, with something like a JDS 02+ODAC or a FIiO.

What do I need to get an excellent sounding setup for gaming, movies and music, on a PC, 360, PS3, mp3 player, and smartphone? Would a Fiio E10, Beyerdynamics DT 770 and ModMic get me that? I'm not looking for the best of the best. I guess if I was looking for the best of the best, I'd know what it is. Do you know what I'm trying to say? I think if you have to ask what the best £1000 tube headphone amplifier is, maybe you won't notice the difference between it and a £200 solid state one.

I getcha.

After doing some more reading, it appears that I'm at a loss. Ha! I think the Beyerdynamic DT 770's are perfect, but what impedance should I go for? Although the FAQ suggests I don't need an amp, DAC, sound card or anything extra, a few other threads on LinusTechTips talk about the importance of providing ample power to something like the 80ohm versions of the 770's, and also that the sound quality will be optimal, at least within a budget, with something like a JDS 02+ODAC or a FIiO.

What do I need to get an excellent sounding setup for gaming, movies and music, on a PC, 360, PS3, mp3 player, and smartphone? Would a Fiio E10, Beyerdynamics DT 770 and ModMic get me that? I'm not looking for the best of the best. I guess if I was looking for the best of the best, I'd know what it is. Do you know what I'm trying to say? I think if you have to ask what the best £1000 tube headphone amplifier is, maybe you won't notice the difference between it and a £200 solid state one.

For the 80 ohm version, you don't need an amp, and it's what I'd recommend if you wanna use it with your phone. If you wanted to get a dedicated DAC/amp, you'd mainly benefit from peace of mind and less about an actual benefit to what you hear. The 250ohm version does pretty much require extra amping, and you'd need a portable amp (FiiO E7, E17, etc) if you wanted to use it with your phone.

I'd love to be able to test different headphones before buying. It's such a pain in the butt when you have to compare 250ohm headphones to 80ohms with nothing but the words of others and all the variables that brings.

Does this sound like a good plan of action?

Buy DT 770 80ohms + ModMic -> buy portable DAC/Amp combo such as FiiO E12 and use it for both desktop and mobile use -> buy dedicated desktop amp/DAC like... I don't know... the JDS Labs O2+ODAC -> be contented

or

Buy DT 770 80ohms + ModMic -> buy better but more expensive portable DAC/Amp like the iBasso D10, Audioengine D1 -> be contented

Realistically in your position where you have the budget, I would just go for the 80 version as you wouldn't have to spend else where to make the headphones work properly. 

Yeah, I've been trying to find an all-in-one solution—portable high quality headphones suitable for all sound sources and types of use + excellent portable Amp/DAC—at around £300, but it seems it's not easy. Really I'll need three sets of headphones and two different amplifiers and DACs to fully satisfy my overindulgent desires. A wireless headset for gaming, portable lower impedance headphones for mp3 player usage, and higher impedance full-sized headphones for use in front of the computer with an amp and DAC. And then I need a portable Amp/DAC combo like the FiiO E12 and also a nice tube desktop amplifier and DAC. Faaaaaaack.

Or I could just deal with the size of the Beyerdynamics, settle for 80ohms, and then buy a decent amp/DAC later on, as more of sound enhancer than a necessary power supplier.

Does this sound like a good plan of action?

Buy DT 770 80ohms + ModMic -> buy portable DAC/Amp combo such as FiiO E12 and use it for both desktop and mobile use -> buy dedicated desktop amp/DAC like... I don't know... the JDS Labs O2+ODAC -> be contented

or

Buy DT 770 80ohms + ModMic -> buy better but more expensive portable DAC/Amp like the iBasso D10, Audioengine D1 -> be contented

You. Do not. Need. An amplifier. For 80 ohm Beyerdynamic headphones.

Or I could just deal with the size of the Beyerdynamics, settle for 80ohms, and then buy a decent amp/DAC later on, as more of sound enhancer than a necessary power supplier.

Amplifiers don't supply power, they supply voltage. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Honestly, just get the 80 ohm version and don't worry about any special equipment to run it. This isn't rocket science - you're just moving a coil of wire back and forth with some electricity. People like to make audio this grandiose complex thing, but it's not. Buy more headphones for a different sound experience, and only worry about a dedicated DAC/amp if you NEED more voltage for a hard-to-drive headphone. If you want fancy hardware, that's fine too, but don't fool yourself into thinking it actually improves your audio in a way that your puny human ears can hear.

If you want fancy hardware, that's fine too, but don't fool yourself into thinking it actually improves your audio in a way that your puny human ears can hear.

Hey my puny human ears like it when I spend money. :) lol 

You. Do not. Need. An amplifier. For 80 ohm Beyerdynamic headphones.

Amplifiers don't supply power, they supply voltage. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Honestly, just get the 80 ohm version and don't worry about any special equipment to run it. This isn't rocket science - you're just moving a coil of wire back and forth with some electricity. People like to make audio this grandiose complex thing, but it's not. Buy more headphones for a different sound experience, and only worry about a dedicated DAC/amp if you NEED more voltage for a hard-to-drive headphone. If you want fancy hardware, that's fine too, but don't fool yourself into thinking it actually improves your audio in a way that your puny human ears can hear.

Excellent. Thanks, man. When you hear all these different theories that are quite frankly scary and confusing, I end up jumping from one idea to the next without developing my own opinion, which is the one that matters.

I'm not completely sold on the DT 770's yet because apparently they have an exaggerated base and I'm looking for something more neutral and less fatiguing, but we'll see.

Excellent. Thanks, man. When you hear all these different theories that are quite frankly scary and confusing, I end up jumping from one idea to the next without developing my own opinion, which is the one that matters.

I'm not completely sold on the DT 770's yet because apparently they have an exaggerated base and I'm looking for something more neutral and less fatiguing, but we'll see.

It's not exaggerated to me? Although I like bass so idk. 

It's not exaggerated to me? Although I like bass so idk. 

Do you find it fatiguing after a few hours of listening?

This isn't rocket science - you're just moving a coil of wire back and forth with some electricity. People like to make audio this grandiose complex thing, but it's not.

HAh!!!!   I can just see some furrowed brows in the design labs at beyer and senns upon hearing this comment.   :P

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Usually, when people say "fatiguing" they mean the treble is harsh. Lower frequencies are perfectly fine over long periods of time (think, washing machine in the background when you sleep).

HAh!!!!   I can just see some furrowed brows in the design labs at beyer and senns upon hearing this comment.   :P

Okay, well there's definitely some complex shite that goes down in designing a headphone, but the fact that they're designed so well just means you don't need super conductors to run them (cough, Stax, cough).   :rolleyes: