Audiophile Headphones or Gaming Headset

Yeah, I just meant that does anyone find bass-heavy headphones tiresome after a while. I think I'm pretty set on the DT 770's because I do want the kind of immersion they offer, they're affordable, and they're comfortable. But I was hoping for a 'do-it-all' set of headphones, but I can't find them in a closed-ear design. There are a few others I'm looking at. The NAD VISO HP50 and Audio Technica ATH-A900X. They're both a little more than I wanted to pay though. No idea how they perform in a video game, but I guess if they're accurate and clear then they should be stellar.

Yeah, I just meant that does anyone find bass-heavy headphones tiresome after a while. I think I'm pretty set on the DT 770's because I do want the kind of immersion they offer, they're affordable, and they're comfortable. But I was hoping for a 'do-it-all' set of headphones, but I can't find them in a closed-ear design. There are a few others I'm looking at. The NAD VISO HP50 and Audio Technica ATH-A900X. They're both a little more than I wanted to pay though. No idea how they perform in a video game, but I guess if they're accurate and clear then they should be stellar.

There's nothing wrong with the DT 770's - they're great and many people are very happy with them being their only headphone.

The A900X might be a little light on bass response for music listening. The open versions are lauded as the best for gaming by some people, so the closed can't be too much worse.

I'm actually accustomed and have grown highly fond of a less bassy setup. When I first bought my M-Audio bookshelf speakers, I was a little disappointed. I was used to 5.1 with a massive subwoofer, but I hated the sibilance and the ridiculous amount of cables you needed. I was tempted to send them back, but I tried pushing the volume up slightly (I was used to having the volume low with my surround sound setup because of how the bass travelled throughout the house and bothered my family) and after a few weeks began to enjoy the experience. They felt more in-your-face, present and true. I learned to simply turn the speakers up higher in order to feel the same amount of 'oomph'. And when I moved around the house expecting it would be too loud, I could barely hear anything. It was fantastic. I could have the same dynamics and feeling of immersion without bothering my family. I greatly preferred it.

My UE700 in-earphones were the same. I had a pair of Klipsch before them and Sennheisers before them and thought they were pretty good for the £50-70 I paid for htem. They were a little muffled, but were full and sweet sounding. I liked 'em. However with the Ultimate Ears, they were much lighter in the bass, so much so that I began to hear details that I never knew were there. That's a cliché at this point, but for me at the time it was quite eye-opening.

Now, that's not to say I'll have to readjust to the DT 770's, because one person's idea of 'bass-heavy' could be another's 'slight bump in the bass'. It's just I want to be sure. It took me almost two weeks to settle on the parts for my PC build. I take forever deciding.