Replace laptop harddrive with sata ssd (power rating difference)

Pratham Bhatnagar

Hello

I want to replace my laptop harddrive (because it's dead) with a SATA SSD( laptop doesn't have m.2 slot)

But the power rating of my previous hdd is 5V and 0.55A and the crucial SSD I want to Buy have power rating of 5V and 1.7A

Is it Ok or I have to find something else.

You shouldn't worry about that detail. All SATA drive will work on any SATA port, regardless of the power rating. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

17 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You shouldn't worry about that detail. All SATA drive will work on any SATA port, regardless of the power rating. 

My laptop does not have a SATA port, it have ribbon cable connector, will it work.

so what are you replacing it from?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

17 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

so what are you replacing it from?

This is how my old harddisk is connected to the motherboard board 

Can i replace it with a SSD 

IMG_20201006_123425.jpg

As far as I know, the SSD should be able to work with your laptop regardless of power consumption. Your SSD consume way less power at normal operation. The power rating is just an indication on how much the power SSD will draw at burst speed.

You can try to unplug the SATA connector from your HDD. It should be able to detach from the HDD.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Yeah you pull the end of that ribbon out (the hdd end not the motherboard).

It's a SATA SSD, what you see there is only the ribbon cable, the real connection is still plugged on the HDD.

Just unscrew any screw in that HDD (not the screw ON the hdd, just the cage).