power supply of rx 560

Davidek
Go to solution Solved by Bad5ector,

Now like I said, I'm no expert here on this type of thing, but it does look like you are pulling close to 90 watts under GPU Chip Power Draw. Maybe it is indeed a limit to the power that this GPU can pull... Like if possible, what happens when you try a 1500mhz on the GPU core clock? Do you see an increase in power draw?

I'd say if you are already getting a noticeable improvement in your games with this mod, I'd count that as a win. Don't want to fly too close to the sun if you know what I mean.

Hi, what is the maximum consumption of the AMD Radeon rx 560 graphics card? I can't do more than 75W, sometimes it goes to 77W.

There is also a 1 * 6 pin mounted, which I soldered there. It hadn't been there before. When I soldered it there, it helped me with clocking to higher frequencies.

Thank you for your response

Hi Friend,

The official AMD specifications recommends 450W but to be assured you should use 500W power supply for Radeon RX 560.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

Hi Friend,

The official AMD specifications recommends 450W but to be assured you should use 500W power supply for Radeon RX 560.

By the which software are you using to OC your AMD card?

You should tweak the settings in Performance tab in Radeon Software, I am not 100% sure, because I am an Nvidia user and I do OC in MSI Afterburner.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-020 <- Read more about Performance tuning at this page. (Be careful though)

You hard modded a 560 by adding an extra power port turning it into a sort of halfway 570/580 perhaps?  A regular 560 should draw power from motherboard only and therefore have a max theoretical power of 75w which in practice might be lower.  A 580 is more in the 150w range but will also have a different pcb design.  Your MaxGuyvered 560 will likely have something between the two.  As a 560 with messed with power draw it’s going to be able to draw more power that it can handle.

And melt or pop something quite easily. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I have a RX560 4G low profile in my old HTPC and it is fine with the SF450 watt from Corsair.

2 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

I have a RX560 4G low profile in my old HTPC and it is fine with the SF450 watt from Corsair.

With low profile youre also going to have to worry about cooling.  It has less cooler than a bigger card.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

With low profile youre also going to have to worry about cooling.  It has less cooler than a bigger card.

Um... that isn't a concern in an HTPC lol.

42 minutes ago, Davidek said:

Hi, what is the maximum consumption of the AMD Radeon rx 560 graphics card? I can't do more than 75W, sometimes it goes to 77W.

There is also a 1 * 6 pin mounted, which I soldered there. It hadn't been there before. When I soldered it there, it helped me with clocking to higher frequencies.

Thank you for your response

with a mod to improve clock speeds that you added yourself, might as well round it up to about 100 watts, which is still a pretty small power consumption for a graphics card.

even with a small increase in power draw, I bet it helps a lot with vdroop and makes sustained loads more consistent 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Um... that isn't a concern in an HTPC lol.

Depends on what he does with the htpc.  Some people play games on them.  He wouldn’t need to do the hardware mod for standard htpc stuff either.

44 minutes ago, Davidek said:

There is also a 1 * 6 pin mounted, which I soldered there. It hadn't been there before.

Are you using any sort of custom for the card? It might not try to even pull much more than 75watt as it was designed without a PCIE connector.

@Bombastinator Dude, I know exactly what I am doing with MY HTPC. And cooling is not a concern. I was simply stating that 450watt PSU works fine with rx560. I wasn't saying that he was using it for such things.

EDIT: But I can still rock 1080p Division 2 at low settings at a respectable enough frame rate without any trouble. But I mainly use it for it's intended purpose, watching videos.

17 hours ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

Hi Friend,

I have 600W power supply and i know its OK.

17 hours ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

By the which software are you using to OC your AMD card?

You should tweak the settings in Performance tab in Radeon Software, I am not 100% sure, because I am an Nvidia user and I do OC in MSI Afterburner.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-020 <- Read more about Performance tuning at this page. (Be careful though)

I am using tuning for OC from AMD in AMD Radeon settings a and I use the polaris bios editor to edit the bios. The cooler is replaced by artic - max temp is 69 ° C

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You hard modded a 560 by adding an extra power port turning it into a sort of halfway 570/580 perhaps?  A regular 560 should draw power from motherboard only and therefore have a max theoretical power of 75w which in practice might be lower.  A 580 is more in the 150w range but will also have a different pcb design.  Your MaxGuyvered 560 will likely have something between the two.  As a 560 with messed with power draw it’s going to be able to draw more power that it can handle.

And melt or pop something quite easily. 

1 * 6 pin was not there before (only motherboard powered), so I put it there and it helped. My GPU: https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/RX560-O4G/.

17 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

with a mod to improve clock speeds that you added yourself, might as well round it up to about 100 watts, which is still a pretty small power consumption for a graphics card.

even with a small increase in power draw, I bet it helps a lot with vdroop and makes sustained loads more consistent 

Sometimes I managed to get to 80 W but clock won't let me go, at 1422mhz it already makes me artifacts, it's stable at 1408mhz.

17 hours ago, Bad5ector said:

Are you using any sort of custom for the card? It might not try to even pull much more than 75watt as it was designed without a PCIE connector.

When they were designed without a connector (1 * 6 pin), why is some 1 * 6 pin connector. He should then have some teaching 1 * 6 pin.

1 minute ago, Davidek said:

When they were designed without a connector (1 * 6 pin), why is some 1 * 6 pin connector. He should then have some teaching 1 * 6 pin.

Sorry I meant to say custom BIOS.

Or are you using a shunt mod to trick the card into thinking it hasn't reached it's limit?

1 minute ago, Davidek said:

1 * 6 pin was not there before (only motherboard powered), so I put it there and it helped. My GPU: https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/RX560-O4G/.

Yep.  That board pad with no part on it implies the company used a pc board for a different card, probably a 570-590 to make their 560s.  I don’t know what differences there are between the various Polaris cards.  One of them is likely to be other parts also put on the pcb though besides the gpu.  VRM, etc...  

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

Sorry I meant to say custom BIOS.

Or are you using a shunt mod to trick the card into thinking it hasn't reached it's limit?

I am using custom BIOS, I change it myself

Certainly doesn't seem like it is using the PCIE connector. Is it possible that the card just doesn't have the traces to the PCIE solder pads?

10 minutes ago, Davidek said:

Sometimes I managed to get to 80 W but clock won't let me go, at 1422mhz it already makes me artifacts, it's stable at 1408mhz.

Are you using software to track power consumption? Because that can be rather inaccurate, especially due to the mod you've done. If you're not checking it out with current clamps you might be drawing a bit more power than you think.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Are you using software to track power consumption? Because that can be rather inaccurate, especially due to the mod you've done. If you're not checking it out with current clamps you might be drawing a bit more power than you think.

Right now I gave a stress test and the power consumption is on 82 W max, most often it goes to 77W.   Edit: Yes, I am using GPU-z for monitoring.

image.png

image.png

12 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Certainly doesn't seem like it is using the PCIE connector. Is it possible that the card just doesn't have the traces to the PCIE solder pads?

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

Sorry if I am misunderstanding what you did. From what I can tell,  you added the PCIE power connector to the RX560 yourself, on a card that doesn't come with one stock? If that is the case, how do you know that simply adding (soldering on) a PCIE 6Pin power connector is actually going to work? The traces to the solder pads (where you attached the PCIE connector) are they going anywhere? Or are the solder pads just there and no traces going anywhere? IE, the board was never designed to have external power but another similar card (say the 570) uses the same board but actually has the traces added during manufacturing.

Just now, Davidek said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

The way I took it is:

you want to hotrod a 560 so you took the cooler off and found solder pads for a power connector unused so you added one. Those pads connect (or don’t, if the manufacturer arranged it that way) to other traces on the card.  The particulars of board manufacture are going to be situational to whatever was happening at that factory with that card. It is possible one or more (maybe all) of the pads do not actually connect.  The card would have been created using whatever method was lowest cost for the manufacture of that card there at that time.  It might have been cheaper to save on masks and print solder pads that didn’t work than remove them entirely.