Mobo leds flash once then nothing when turning on psu

Keoce

The family pc recently kicked the bucket and so my dad gave me the task to buy and build the new one. (With his money) 

the build:

Aorus B450m (micro atx) 

Ryzen 3400g 

Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz

Case: Thermaltake Versa H18

Thermaltake TR2 600w Power Supply

I did the rookie mistake even though this is my second ever build, I put everything together without testing anything outside of the case first, and it didn’t boot...at all. 

when I have the power cables plugged in, flip the power supply switch to on, the mobo leds flash on, you can see random rgb colors in those lights but they only last a quick moment before going off again. I clicked the power button, and nothing. 

I look online and saw the suggestion to try breadboxing it, so I did. I took the mobo out, set it on the mobo box and tried again.

Flicked the power supply on and same thing happened, blip of light on mobo then nothing, no fans spin either. 

Tried the trip power with a screwdriver trick and still nothing.

I reseated the cpu, cables, ram, Nothing. 

took the CMOS battery out then put it back in. Nothing. 

I did the paperclip test on the power supply, it works, at least the fans kick on. (And only when doing the paperclip test) 

When looking at the 24 pin connector there is one slot that doesn’t seem to have a connector. It looks blank. With the tab facing you it’s the third to the left. So the 24 pin connector technically looks like a 23 pin connector. 

would that be an issue?

What I am guessing is that the mobo is dead.

Or after looking at the Mobo manual, that the 3600mhz ram may not be supported. 

Would a build not get enough power with unsupported ram? Especially if it’s 3600mhz? 

I can understand not booting properly but not letting the mobo get enough power?

why would the mobo’s leds flash on then power off instantly when normally they would simply stay on once you flick on the power supply? 

I have spent all night trying to trouble shoot this and it’s so confusing because it should just work! T-T 

4 minutes ago, Keoce said:

I did the rookie mistake even though this is my second ever build, I put everything together without testing anything outside of the case first, and it didn’t boot...at all.

Try the system with a single stick of memory in slot 2, if that didn't work try the other stick in slot 2.

Personally I haven't had good luck with Corsair memory + Gigabyte AMD boards, by YMMV.

5 minutes ago, Keoce said:

When looking at the 24 pin connector there is one slot that doesn’t seem to have a connector. It looks blank. With the tab facing you it’s the third to the left. So the 24 pin connector technically looks like a 23 pin connector. 

would that be an issue?

image.png.2dd2728d67c9e4c59e5eabc1ed76c6db.png

pin 20 is empty/no connection/reserved, so that's normal.

Could you by the way explain further what you mean by "it didn’t boot...at all."?
Did it not turn on, did it not display video out, did the fans turn on, etc.?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Try the system with a single stick of memory in slot 2, if that didn't work try the other stick in slot 2.

Personally I haven't had good luck with Corsair memory + Gigabyte AMD boards, by YMMV.

image.png.2dd2728d67c9e4c59e5eabc1ed76c6db.png

pin 20 is empty/no connection/reserved, so that's normal.

Could you by the way explain further what you mean by "it didn’t boot...at all."?
Did it not turn on, did it not display video out, did the fans turn on, etc.?

Oh, what I meant was that nothing seemed to happen, no fan movement, mobo lights stayed off. Nothing seemed to “come alive” when pressing power.

Thought I didn’t get the front panel pins in correctly, so I reseated those...about more than 5 times all resulting in the same. 

I tried with 1 stick in seat 1, still the same issue. 

29 minutes ago, Keoce said:

Oh, what I meant was that nothing seemed to happen, no fan movement, mobo lights stayed off. Nothing seemed to “come alive” when pressing power.

Thought I didn’t get the front panel pins in correctly, so I reseated those...about more than 5 times all resulting in the same. 

I tried with 1 stick in seat 1, still the same issue. 

Try turning on the board by shorting the power pins with a metal object, like a screwdriver.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

Try turning on the board by shorting the power pins with a metal object, like a screwdriver.

Tried the trip power with a screwdriver trick and still nothing.

I reseated the cpu, cables, ram, Nothing. 

took the CMOS battery out then put it back in. Nothing. 

I did the paperclip test on the power supply, it works, at least the fans kick on. (And only when doing the paperclip test) 

Bumpity, the sequel. (Going to see about returning the mobo)