Upgrading mother board for 3070

I currently have an MSI z370 gaming plus motherboard with a 5700xt,  i7 9700k, 16GB RAM and a 750W Corsair CX. This motherboard is from the last generation of motherboards and I would like to upgrade to current gen. First off do I need to upgrade to current gen for ideal performance if I want a 3070? Second question is if I do upgrade what is a good 100 to 140 dollar motherboard for the 3070. All help is appreciated, thanks!

Getting a Z390 motherboard isn't really an upgrade, the only difference is that you get support for USB 3.1 gen 2x1. If you want to upgrade past that you'll need a new cpu as well.  Also you won't need a new motherboard for the 3070. It will run fine on the motherboard you already have.

it would be a negligible difference, if even noticeable imo. i would stick with current build, should run very well.

edit: though you meant 10th gen, definitely no real difference with z390 imo.

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Getting a Z390 motherboard isn't really an upgrade, the only difference is that you get support for USB 3.1 gen 2x1. If you want to upgrade past that you'll need a new cpu as well.  Also you won't need a new motherboard for the 3070. It will run fine on the motherboard you already have.

Thank you so much for the help!

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

it would be a negligible difference, if even noticeable imo. i would stick with current build, should run very well.

Thank you for helping me come to conclusion. I appreciate it!

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

Thank you for helping me come to conclusion. I appreciate it!