Completely blocking psu fan

LOST TALE

Hi, if the computer uses like 10-25w. Would it be safe to completely block the psu fan? shit's loud af.

How much would it cost to buy a resistor and a sodder thing (or can I just tie the resistor and cable ends together?)

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Probably, but I don't suggest removing or blocking the fan. If you want a fanless power supplies there are plenty to choose from.

29 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

Hi, if the computer uses like 10-25w. Would it be safe to completely block the psu fan? shit's loud af.

The fan on the PSU is loud? Was it always that loud? Either your fan is stuffed or it was a bad fan to begin with. What model PSU is it?

Blocking the fan is not a bright idea. Would you block your CPU fan or GPU fans because they were too loud?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Stop using crappy parts? 

Or you get a bequiet PSU, I don't hear mine at all, not even while gaming.  

16 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Stop using crappy parts? 

pretty much ;D

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 10/1/2020 at 9:42 PM, Spotty said:

The fan on the PSU is loud? Was it always that loud? Either your fan is stuffed or it was a bad fan to begin with. What model PSU is it?

Blocking the fan is not a bright idea. Would you block your CPU fan or GPU fans because they were too loud?

Yes. cpu fan is disconnected with pc running 24/7 and temps are stable at 60C. I can watch YT videos and it still doens't exceed 70C.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

not everyone has $200 for a power supply you know

a what

I don't even know what PSU you're using op.

Don't remove the fan, even if the load is minimal the PSU will get hot, that's why it has a fan.... passively cooled PSUs have larger heatsinks inside that regular ones don't

It's the one from my first prebuilt desktop. I doubt it matters.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:46 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Stop using crappy parts? 

Seems ridiculous to buy a new PSU just because of noise. I'm sure it would run fan with the fan turning but at a lower speed.