Help with Upgrade Path(s)

As yesterday  was my Birthday. I most likely got some extra cash to spend on something from the gifts I got. I was looking at new motherboards. I know that AMD has stated that *Some* X570 Motherboards will work with Ryzen Gen 1. However, I was wondering if anyone has had any bad luck (or good)  with the Motherboards that are reported to work with the older CPUs. Seeing as though my Tomahawk Arctic B350 board is actually the worst motherboard I have ever owned. I was thinking of upgrading to X570 from B350. Might not go with MSI this time around unless people have good stuff to say about this round of chipsets from them. I love MSI don't get my wrong. Just rubbed me the wrong way this time around.

So the problems I have with the B350 Motherboard I have now is: DIMM Slots A1 and B1 are dead, no physical damage that I can see. So wasn't me. RAM WILL NOT go any higher than 2133 even in the working ports. Manually input or XMP does not matter. Not even up to 2134mhz. My ram speed is rated for 3200mhz and is a CAS 16 Kit of 32GB G,Skill Royal so I know its not the RAM My dad is using my old sticks with no issue. The B350 board is also overvolting my CPU by more than it should. I can even set parameters in the BIOS and it still does it. Power delivery on that board is nowhere near robust enough to push it that hard.

Also the reason for the "Path(s)" in the title is my wife's X370 Pro Carbon is also having the RAM issue and will not clock faster than 2133 by even 1mh. She is running a 1700x that I built her after our wedding. Her Hard-drive/SSDs will occasionally disappear from her BIOS menu. Not just one either. It will be all of them. Have to plug them back in, but in different SATA slots for them to be recognized again. So it isn't any of the drives. Originally I thought it was something to do with her graphics card because of the hard crashing to desktop or all together crashing the whole PC. I sent a ticket to MSI, have yet to hear from them after the first reply of basically: do all of the trouble shooting I already did to it again. for a second time. However, came to find it was the motherboard the whole time. Still no response, didn't even tell them I figured it out. Since I don't think anyone would of even looked at it anyway.

So if any of you have good or bad experiences with Gen1 Ryzen on X570 boards please let me know & with what boards were you using. I do plan on upgrading to 3600XT/3950x of whatever 4000 or higher series brings to the mix but need to save up more. Figured the Motherboard would be the best first step. Seeing as though this Motherboard is mostly dead already don't want to keep my perfectly fine 1600x in there to have it potentially get damaged. I have done BIOS updates on both systems in recommended order.

Thanks in advanced!

Specs of my B350 and Wifes X370 PC so I don't get asked:

RTX 2080 (Regular)

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

Ryzen 5 1600x

(2x16) 32GB 3200mhz G.Skill Royal RAM

RoseWill Quark Platinum 1000W PSU

Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO CPU Cooler

3 1TB HDD(s) 7200RPM

1 256GB G.Skill Phoenix SSD

1 500 GB WD Blue M.2 drive.

Some of that overkill for a 1600x, I know. Upgrades down the line was on my mind more than does it match at the time.

Wifes PC:

X370 Pro Carbon AC WIFI

MSI GTX 1080TI Seahawk

Ryzen 7 1700x

RoseWill Quark Platinum 1000W PSU

Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO CPU Cooler

(2x8) 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz CAS 16

2 1TB HDD(s) 7200RPM

1 Samsung EVO (960 I think?) 500GB SSD

i would wait until the release of the 5000 series cpus (in one week), look for reviews and compatibility with boards before making any purchase.

on amd's website it's written that x570 don't support 1st gen cpus. even if people found ways around it, I wouldn't risk it.

Most of your issues a just gen 1 symptoms. But bios update and manual inputting ram trimmings goes along way. Issue ram speed issues isn't always a motherboard issue it can be a cpu issue and that's not uncommon for people with gen 1. 

I had the same issues with my gf build 

R5 1600 

Tuf b350 gaming....

Ram kit rated for 3200

Docp would crash and couldn't get a boot pass 2400mhz

But after bios update 

Docp enabled

Soc set to 1.1v 

Ram voltage at 1.375

Manual entered timings on the kit

Ram set at 3000mhz.

It now stable.

With that said. If there is actually something wrong with your mb then yes get a new one. Do I think you should get an x570. No I don't. Personal I would get a b450 you would still have plenty of room for upgrades on a solid platform. Full compatible with your current cpu . Plus you shouldn't worry about pcie gen 4.

My personal recommendation would be a cpu upgrade. 

7 hours ago, narrdarr said:

With that said. If there is actually something wrong with your mb then yes get a new one. Do I think you should get an x570. No I don't. Personal I would get a b450 you would still have plenty of room for upgrades on a solid platform. Full compatible with your current cpu . Plus you shouldn't worry about pcie gen 4.

I will eventually need those PCIe Gen 4 speeds for some of the work I do so I would like to have a X570 board. Plus, the extra power stability on those x570 boards would also be nice. Considering how volitile my power company's loads are. My UPS can barely keep up. I know for a fact it's stuff me and my wife will need eventually if I don't get it now. Since we both stream and I do video editing on the side. Also, I did try updating the BIOS and manually putting in the RAM speeds and timings but nothing was working. I really don't think it's the CPU though. I can get it to 4.0 Ghz overclocked on all cores without touching the memory speeds. Soon as I touch the RAM. Boot loop. But without the ram being a decent speed there really is no reason to OC it. I start hitting the point of diminishing return at like 3.825Ghz.

1 hour ago, VesperMoirai said:

I will eventually need those PCIe Gen 4 speeds for some of the work I do so I would like to have a X570 board. Plus, the extra power stability on those x570 boards would also be nice. Considering how volitile my power company's loads are. My UPS can barely keep up. I know for a fact it's stuff me and my wife will need eventually if I don't get it now. Since we both stream and I do video editing on the side. Also, I did try updating the BIOS and manually putting in the RAM speeds and timings but nothing was working. I really don't think it's the CPU though. I can get it to 4.0 Ghz overclocked on all cores without touching the memory speeds. Soon as I touch the RAM. Boot loop. But without the ram being a decent speed there really is no reason to OC it. I start hitting the point of diminishing return at like 3.825Ghz.

You could with x570 I don't know about running zen 1 on them tho. Nor your upgrade time line thats something you'll need to decide. Your two biggest question a are going to be.

What is going to benefit me now vs later ?

and 

What is the cost of upgrade x now vs upgrade of y later?

I know that with my DIMM slots not being in optimal configuration I'm losing performance. With Ryzen being very RAM dependent. I feel like I can actually get my rated speed with a better board too. Since it has matured. Plus I don't think the Royal SKU of G.Skill was a thing when this board came out. The board even tells me this when it starts up funnily enough that my ram config is not correct and will make me suffer performance hits. I would be getting better power delivery. In most cases more USB. WIFI would  most likely be built in and look better. Using a add in card right now for the Bluetooth connectivity to connect my PS4 controller with DS4 and it looks awful. Have to have a USB 2.0 wire going down to a USB 2.0 Header.

The X570 Aorus Master, MSI X570-A PRO, Gigabyte X570 I Aorus WIFI Pro, have been shown to work on the 1.0 Revision. The MSI A  PRO works on it's H7 version too.  It is also reported that most Motherboards with 1.0.0.4B AGESA will usually give no issues with a Gen 1 Ryzen CPU. It's looking to be a range of 160-299 for X570 boards. Most of the boards I was looking at were about 160-200$ USD. Considering that's what we paid for my wife's x370 board when it was new I'd say that's fair.

The Wife's PC can wait till it's cheaper, she dose not care about performance as much as I do. Plus, the 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads she has over me should help her out for longer. I am more or less the enthusiast. out of the two of us. Broke, but a enthusiast none the less. Even though she technically has the beefier computer. Spoiled her a little when I built it.

I get it,... just wanted to inform and   emphasize the bump to even ryzen 2xxx is massive in stability, performance, and compatibility even if it is on a 300 series motherboard. Past that it comes down to pcie 4. 

Yea. That seems to be what is selling me on it. Aside from the better power deliveries. Thanks man! I guess its just up to finding which one will let me plop into it and it just work.