[SOLVED] OpenCore 0.6.1_Catalina 10.15.7_Asus z370-a_i7 8700K : Kernel Panic

Hi :)

I'm trying to install Catalina 10.15.7 using OpenCore 0.6.1 on the following hardware:

- Asus z370-a (latest BIOS)

- Intel i7 8700k

- Rx590 8GB

- 2x 8GB 2400MHz DDR4

- 240GB Corsair MP500 PCIe3.0 x4 NVME SSD

This machine is currently running Mojave 10.14.6 via Clover 4910 but I want to perform a clean install (wipe the current SSD).

I followed the guide on Dortania to create the USB installer including all kexts, config.plist, etc

1344745864_Screenshot2020-09-30at12_03_24.png.9768a452fac58949b0f1dc36cce822a6.pngconfig.plist

However, upon booting on the USB installer and selecting

"macOS base system (external)"

I get a (kernel?) panic (see screenshot)

279448243_IMAG0824copy.thumb.jpg.04eee4ca340552c690cdc38d40adb4df.jpg

I don't know how to troubleshoot this.

Could you please help?

NOTES:

The following settings are apparently absent from the BIOS and thus I couldn't change them or check whether they are set to what they should:

- Parallel port (-> disabled) : there is no parallel port on this MB

- Intel platform trust (-> disabled)

- Execute disabled bit (-> enabled)

- EHCI/XHCI hand-off (-> enabled) : I believe there are only XHCI controllers on this MB

Thank you very much in advance for your help :)

Best,

-a-

Apparently it's right after the "ACPI" things.

Does it mean that I miss some .aml file in EFI/OC/ACPI (like one retlated to AWAC/RTC) or am I good on this side since it says 13 aml tables where successfully loaded?

Do you have an option to disable CFG-Lock in your BIOS? As for XHCI Handoff, I enabled a quirk that releases USB ownership from the BIOS to XNU(ReleaseUsbOwnership).

If however, you do NOT have the option to disable CFG-Lock you can leave enabled AppleXcpmCfgLock and AppleCpuPmCfgLock.

if you DO have the option to disable CFG-Lock in BIOS, then you MUST disable AppleXcpmCfgLock and AppleCpuPmCfgLock.

If you did all of that and still can't boot, you can try disabling RebuildAppleMemoryMap

Note: use the find option in plist editiong software(if you don't know what to use, then get propertree) to find these options inside config.plist

Anyway, this is the config with the modification mentioned prior.

config.plist

EDIT: Looking at this in more detail I would highly advise you generate SMBIOS information for PlatformInfo, using the GenSMBIOS script from corpnewt to generate a serial and the rest of the things required to have a propper mac that can access the iServices(iMessage, Siri, AppStore, FaceTime, etc)

Edited by thonkdifferent
Add more information

On 10/2/2020 at 7:53 PM, thonkdifferent said:

Do you have an option to disable CFG-Lock in your BIOS? As for XHCI Handoff, I enabled a quirk that releases USB ownership from the BIOS to XNU(ReleaseUsbOwnership).

If however, you do NOT have the option to disable CFG-Lock you can leave enabled AppleXcpmCfgLock and AppleCpuPmCfgLock.

if you DO have the option to disable CFG-Lock in BIOS, then you MUST disable AppleXcpmCfgLock and AppleCpuPmCfgLock.

If you did all of that and still can't boot, you can try disabling RebuildAppleMemoryMap

Note: use the find option in plist editiong software(if you don't know what to use, then get propertree) to find these options inside config.plist

Anyway, this is the config with the modification mentioned prior.

config.plist 23.04 kB · 2 downloads

EDIT: Looking at this in more detail I would highly advise you generate SMBIOS information for PlatformInfo, using the GenSMBIOS script from corpnewt to generate a serial and the rest of the things required to have a propper mac that can access the iServices(iMessage, Siri, AppStore, FaceTime, etc)

Thanks a lot :)

I have CFG-lock disabled in the BIOS.

I tried the settings you recommend:

- AppleXcpmCfgLock -> false

- AppleCpuPmCfgLock -> false

- RebuildAppleMemoryMap -> false

- ReleaseUsbOwnership -> true

Unfortunately nothing seems to change :(

Someone sent me this file to try and with this one I am indeed able to reach macOS installer.

However, there are dozens of differences between this one and the one I built by following the OpenCore guide on Dortania.

Maybe you can help me figure out what the meaningful differences are?

config.plist

2 hours ago, asheenlevrai said:

Someone sent me this file to try and with this one I am indeed able to reach macOS installer.

However, there are dozens of differences between this one and the one I built by following the OpenCore guide on Dortania.

Maybe you can help me figure out what the meaningful differences are?

config.plist 26.64 kB · 0 downloads

Found it!

I needed to enable EnableWriteUnprotector, although the guide recommends not to.

The setting of RebuildAppleMemoryMap (possibly conflicting) doesn't seem to have any effect.