Will these 3 go together for an eGPU?

Takt1kal

GPU DOCK LOL it will most likely like who knows blow up the hdmi passthru (aka 710) maybe PSU will blow before

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

GPU DOCK LOL it will most likely like who knows blow up the hdmi passthru (aka 710) maybe PSU will blow before

What? Why will it blow up?

Just now, knockless said:

What? Why will it blow up?

The PSU is most likely bad not judging it by the looks but never heard that brand would nut trust it, also that GPU dock most likely won’t work since from my knowledge GPU power on laptops only work on thunderbolt and iirc you don’t have one neither real cooling

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

The PSU is most likely bad not judging it by the looks but never heard that brand would nut trust it, also that GPU dock most likely won’t work since from my knowledge GPU power on laptops only work on thunderbolt and iirc you don’t have one neither real cooling

Wait a min see this video by Linus himself-

3 minutes ago, knockless said:

It's a mini pci-e to pci-e 16x

...That runs through usb3.0.  So x16 down to x1 down to usb3.  Might as well just plug it into a usb3 port.  It’s going to cut the performance of even a 710 by a lot.  iGPU would probably be faster.  Then there’s the mess of cabling and fire hazard PSU.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, knockless said:

Wait a min see this video by Linus himself-

Yes that is possible I almost did that to my beauty laptop glad I didn’t people have said GPU have high chance of dying and if you even are going to do all that you should just salvage the laptop and make a custom desktop

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Bombastinator said:

...That runs through usb3.0. So x16 down to x1 down to usb3. Might as well just plug it into a usb3 port. It’s going to cut the performance of even a 710 by a lot. iGPU would probably be faster. Then there’s the mess of cabling and fire hazard PSU.

Ok, I'll look for a better and branded PSU.

Plus my iGPU is Intel HD graphics arrandale which is first gen.

The benchmark is 45 while the GT 710 is 60.

And it is running DirectX10

10 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Ok this is the same exp gdc that Linus used-

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000189082535.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2a932f28qX92Ea&algo_pvid=54bd7de6-d4f9-458a-abe6-7e51ec7bfb10&algo_expid=54bd7de6-d4f9-458a-abe6-7e51ec7bfb10-29&btsid=0bb0622916014440055853965e132b&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

And the same psu-

https://www.amazon.in/Zebronics-450-Power-Supply-SMPS/dp/B0755DFP55/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=atx+psu&qid=1601444239&sr=8-15

(cuz this brand is trust-able, I am using multiple products of this brand and using it's keyboard too)

14 minutes ago, Kanna said:

It is like the same PSU

I have had a psu spark up before.

1 minute ago, knockless said:

So you are gonna keep trusting that zebronic brand I have multiple corsair thing but that doesn’t mean I will buy any PSU from them, also at price point you might not consider going that just get a dell optiplex and smack that gpu in there

Reminder⚠️

4 minutes ago, knockless said:

I have had a psu spark up before.

DON’T GET IT THEN nvm thought you said I’ve had that psu spark up before still don’t get it

Reminder⚠️

This might be more possible if that usb3 wasn’t in the middle. The adaptor in the video used dual hdmi which is a weird weird thing to do. Also m key nvme is 4xpcie while b key nvme is 1x pcie. B key is normally just for wifi cards.  Running M key through a shielded pcie extender to m key would give you 4 times the throughput.  My understanding is that saturating 4xpcie3.0 isn’t that hard, but it’s still quick.  I’m remembering something about an rx580 (waaaaaaay faster than a 710) would just about fill it.  What is confusing me though is that a 1080 is faster yet and can saturate a good bit more than 4xpcie3.0 so I don’t know where all that speed was from. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

55 minutes ago, Kanna said:

DON’T GET IT THEN nvm thought you said I’ve had that psu spark up before still don’t get it

not that one

48 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This might be more possible if that usb3 wasn’t in the middle. The adaptor in the video used dual hdmi which is a weird weird thing to do. Also m key nvme is 4xpcie while b key nvme is 1x pcie. B key is normally just for wifi cards.  Running M key through a shielded pcie extender to m key would give you 4 times the throughput.  My understanding is that saturating 4xpcie3.0 isn’t that hard, but it’s still quick.  I’m remembering something about an rx580 (waaaaaaay faster than a 710) would just about fill it.  What is confusing me though is that a 1080 is faster yet and can saturate a good bit more than 4xpcie3.0 so I don’t know where all that speed was from. 

I think a GT 710 doesn't fast speeds, right?

4 minutes ago, knockless said:

I think a GT 710 doesn't fast speeds, right?

I don’t know what level of communication is required for a 710.  I know a rx580 is a bit faster than a Nvidia 970, which in turn is faster than an Nvidia 780 which is faster than a 710.  A 580 just about fills 4pcie3.0 lanes.  It’s possible I suppose, that a 710 might need only one pcie3.0 lane, though I kind of doubt it.  The problem is usb3 is a lot slower even than that. 

Edited by Bombastinator

48 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know what level of communication is required for a 710.  I know a rx580 is a bit faster than a Nvidia 970, which in turn is faster than an Nvidia 780 which is faster than a 710.  A 580 just about fills 4pcie3.0 lanes.  It’s possible I suppose, that a 710 might need only one pcie3.0 lane, though I kind of doubt it.  The problem is usb3 is a lot slower even than that. 

There is a HDMI version too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000189082535.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2a932f28qX92Ea&algo_pvid=54bd7de6-d4f9-458a-abe6-7e51ec7bfb10&algo_expid=54bd7de6-d4f9-458a-abe6-7e51ec7bfb10-29&btsid=0bb0622916014440055853965e132b&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

3 minutes ago, knockless said:

That’s the type from the video.  Seems to be 5 ways to connect it. The express card stuff is all pcie2.0x1 I think. If one of them will do pcie3.0x4. It could be worthy.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s the type from the video.  Seems to be 5 ways to connect it. The express card stuff is all pcie2.0x1 I think. If one of them will do pcie3.0x4. It could be worthy.

it's a mini pci-e and the gt 710 is pcie2.0x1

8 hours ago, Kanna said:

Any good PSU under $25?

If not which is the best under this price point.

3 hours ago, knockless said:

it's a mini pci-e and the gt 710 is pcie2.0x1

710 is pcie2.0x1?!  That’s not a lot of bandwidth.  That’s half of pcie3.0x1. That may even be getting towards the bandwidth of USB3.0.  I’m astounded it’s so weak.  Your original thought for an egpu might not be quite as horrible as I supposed.  The pcie2.0 bit makes a difference. Could still be way faster than USB3.0 of course.  Starts to be in the range of “worth checking just to make sure” though.

30 minutes ago, knockless said:

Any good PSU under $25?

If not which is the best under this price point.

Don't that is way to low

Reminder⚠️