Missing Hardware GPU Scheduling option

BTGbullseye

Win 10 version 19041.450. Adrenaline 20.9.1. The hardware is in my signature.

All info online points to this being a feature that should be available to me, but it is not. I looked at the registry location for enabling it, and it was missing the setting entirely. Adding it and restarting did not affect anything.

Please do not reply if you intend to say anything like "you shouldn't enable it anyways since it doesn't improve performance", as that is irrelevant. There are reports that it can increase system stability in certain games that I am having stability issues in, and I want to test if this feature fixes it.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Which GPUs will support Hardware Scheduling?

The new GPU scheduler will be supported on recent GPUs that have the necessary hardware, combined with a WDDMv2.7 driver that exposes this support to Windows. Please watch for announcements from our hardware vendor partners on specific GPU generations and driver versions this support will be enabled for.

Check in GPU-Z if you have WDDM 2.7 (Sorry for the 4K screenshot,it's huge :D)

GPz.gif.1d6a43a80f16ae25eb6e8ca6e6018ca1.gif

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

29 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Check in GPU-Z if you have WDDM 2.7 (Sorry for the 4K screenshot,it's huge :D)

Yes, it is a WDDM 2.7 driver. As I already said, everything everywhere says I should have this option, except Windows. (the driver has supported this feature since the 20.5.1 beta)

And now GPU-Z says that the Hardware GPU Scheduling feature is "Off (not supported)" for some reason. I can find no information anywhere as to why that is.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

47 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Ok, so I just found some info after digging through several dozen articles about the feature... Seems AMD enabled it ONLY on their 20.5.1 beta driver, and it is not enabled on any other driver so far.

What an utter pain in the ass it was to find a single sentence that should be in all the "how to enable" guides, but isn't. Ok, now I need to go treat this headache.

18 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Ok, so I just found some info after digging through several dozen articles about the feature... Seems AMD enabled it ONLY on their 20.5.1 beta driver, and it is not enabled on any other driver so far.

What an utter pain in the ass it was to find a single sentence that should be in all the "how to enable" guides, but isn't. Ok, now I need to go treat this headache.

Well,The driver team of AMD is a disorganized mess that acts on a whim,we see and feel that with their driver releases.

Most of those guides are made by amateurs that follow the hype train,so they can't know about things like that.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Well,The driver team of AMD is a disorganized mess that acts on a whim,we see and feel that with their driver releases.

Most of those guides are made by amateurs that follow the hype train,so they can't know about things like that.

More like they're running Nvidia, and refuse to acknowledge that AMD has any place in the GPU market. (I've literally heard that from some of the people that make those kind of guides)

AMD drivers have been rock solid for me since 20.1.X, so it's not a problem for me to roll back to 20.5.1 to test this feature.

14 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

More like they're running Nvidia, and refuse to acknowledge that AMD has any place in the GPU market. (I've literally heard that from some of the people that make those kind of guides)

Sounds like amateurs to me.

14 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

AMD drivers have been rock solid for me since 20.1.X, so it's not a problem for me to roll back to 20.5.1 to test this feature.

Not a fan boy but the drivers of Nvidia are in a class of their own.

It's very prevalent in the mobile market,Tegra SOCs receive excellent driver quality,while everyone else in that market deliver buggy half-assed drivers.

It's a joy for developers to work with devices that receive quality drivers,it causes significantly less problems in addition to Nvidia providing tools that help the developer with it's project.

In the PC market AMD's drivers are OK to work with - nothing more than that.

26 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Not a fan boy but the drivers of Nvidia are in a class of their own.

They really aren't; not anymore. The 20 series drivers have a superior interface than Nvidia, and gives full control of everything without requiring you to log in over the internet. AMD does have a history of bad drivers, but that is not what's happening here. This is just a lot of misinformation floating around because almost nobody wants to include one simple sentence in their reviews or how-to's of this feature.

30 minutes ago, Vishera said:

In the PC market AMD's drivers are OK to work with - nothing more than that.

That is what it used to be, and AMD decided to change that with the 20.X.X drivers. They succeeded. Don't listen to the fanbois that say otherwise.

5 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

They really aren't; not anymore. The 20 series drivers have a superior interface than Nvidia, and gives full control of everything without requiring you to log in over the internet. AMD does have a history of bad drivers, but that is not what's happening here. This is just a lot of misinformation floating around because almost nobody wants to include one simple sentence in their reviews or how-to's of this feature.

I was talking about the quality of the code and functions,not user experience.

And the sign-in crap is just GeForce Experience,not the driver itself - there is an option to install the drivers without GeForce Experience.

But as an owner of both AMD and Nvidia cards,i have to say that the AMD's solution is better than GeForce Experience.

6 hours ago, Vishera said:

I was talking about the quality of the code and functions,not user experience.

That code quality and functions part is not really knowable unless you decompile and look at them that way. What is actually shown to the user via the user interface, and overall stability of the driver is all we can really go by.

7 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

The 20 series drivers have a superior interface than Nvidia

They do (Nvidia didn't change theirs since the 90s I think lol) it's a problem of things not working or randomly stop working (like for example recording) I think they're trying "too much" while not really having the basics down, and also aren't as low level integrated as NV or Intel drivers - though that's just my impression, idk if it's true or not... 

But more on topic, I'm a bit confused if you did install that latest beta driver... ? That *should* fix it I guess?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

But more on topic, I'm a bit confused if you did install that latest beta driver... ? That *should* fix it I guess?

Well, it's a 4 month old driver, so not the "latest"... There are newer beta drivers even. And yes, with this specific driver, I was able to enable the feature.

This specific driver does not have Enhanced Sync anywhere that I could find, so there's also that.

4 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Well, it's a 4 month old driver, so not the "latest"... There are newer beta drivers even. And yes, with this specific driver, I was able to enable the feature.

This specific driver does not have Enhanced Sync anywhere that I could find, so there's also that.

Ah, got it and I see,odd it would have that missing...  However I checked in GPUZ and I'm on WDDM 2.5 and I don't have that scheduling option at all, I suppose that's a windows feature or is it driver? Both of mine are a bit old, cause I like those sweet 60fps, and that's just not possible on newer win versions (I'm on 1809)

20200929_212109.jpg.eeb5e3b577e83c78e5c502b25c62bb28.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

I suppose that's a windows feature or is it driver?

It's both.

Also,you may want to update your GPU-Z as well :P

On 9/29/2020 at 1:24 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Ah, got it and I see,odd it would have that missing...  However I checked in GPUZ and I'm on WDDM 2.5 and I don't have that scheduling option at all, I suppose that's a windows feature or is it driver? Both of mine are a bit old, cause I like those sweet 60fps, and that's just not possible on newer win versions (I'm on 1809)

You have to be on Windows version 2004. It doesn't exist on older versions. You also have to be running a WDDM 2.7 driver, or it won't work.

What do you mean "60FPS is not possible on newer windows versions"? There is nothing preventing it at all.

4 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

What do you mean "60FPS is not possible on newer windows versions"? There is nothing preventing it at all

well there is something preventing it because I tried several times, it cost me about 20fps on average... also with new drivers... go back to 1809 and games run at 60fps again, same settings and all.

I suspect some kind of incompatibility but I don't know or even care that much, it works fine on 1809 , so I'll stay on that until it doesn't 😃

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

well there is something preventing it because I tried several times, it cost me about 20fps on average... also with new drivers... go back to 1809 and games run at 60fps again, same settings and all.

I suspect some kind of incompatibility but I don't know or even care that much, it works fine on 1809 , so I'll stay on that until it doesn't 😃

That seems really odd, and not something that should happen at all. You're even on one of the GPUs that would most benefit from this feature.

It seems a bit drastic, but maybe try a fresh install of Windows?

On 9/29/2020 at 12:50 AM, BTGbullseye said:

Win 10 version 19041.450. Adrenaline 20.9.1. The hardware is in my signature.

All info online points to this being a feature that should be available to me, but it is not. I looked at the registry location for enabling it, and it was missing the setting entirely. Adding it and restarting did not affect anything.

Please do not reply if you intend to say anything like "you shouldn't enable it anyways since it doesn't improve performance", as that is irrelevant. There are reports that it can increase system stability in certain games that I am having stability issues in, and I want to test if this feature fixes it.

The feature requires a lot of work from the GPU driver team. Work that used to be done by the OS, is now given to the GPU driver.

Microsoft hinted that this is to allow the start of other feature that will help gaming performance on PCs. But we have no more info, then a small sentence that doesn't say much.

Personally, I am not convinced that it increases system stability (unless we are not talking about the same thing). In fact, from what I can see, is more problems in certain games, and marginal gains only on slow and aged old CPUs. This is because the GPU drivers aren't doing anything different, yet, than what Windows was doing. Of course, it is a different code base, so GPU driver team needs to work on fixing the issues.

I think AMD Radeon, being resource limited, is having all their attention focused on the drivers for the new game consoles coming up, and on their new GPU coming up. I am hearing a lot that AMD is focusing on quality drivers. They are trying to avoid what has happened in the past. Weather it is true or not, we have to wait and see. Personally, I don't expect it to be bug free, but if it is anything better then in the past, then it is a excellent start for the Radeon group. I hope that thanks to the success of AMD CPUs, the company is actually focusing on delivering additional resources to the Radeon group.

I see no progress on Nvidia side either. But probably their focus was on the new architecture. I think once dust settles, and the holidays passes (as pretty much everyone goes on vacation), I think they start working on it... so perhaps by summer 2021, we might see progress, like game specific optimizations. 

I have a Core i7 930 with a GeForce 680 and 6GB of RAM... so, I can't test this feature.

On 10/1/2020 at 4:28 AM, BTGbullseye said:

That seems really odd, and not something that should happen at all. You're even on one of the GPUs that would most benefit from this feature.

It seems a bit drastic, but maybe try a fresh install of Windows?

The funny thing is the exact same behavior happens on my laptop.

on 1803-09 I get around 35fps, on 1904-following I get like 15fps, laptop gets extremely sluggish too... reverted back and it works again like it should... tho I lost my Harman sound for the speakers, it's still there but it does nothing... 

Not the first time a windows update irreparably damaged a sound option either...  win10 devs just must hate anything related to music / sound or something... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

57 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Not the first time a windows update irreparably damaged a sound option either...  win10 devs just must hate anything related to music / sound or something... 

More like your laptop manufacture used that $0.10 audio chip, instead of the $0.50 one. You get what you paid for. Of course, you as a consumer, have no choice, but your OEM doesn't care.. you are blaming Microsoft, not them for picking the cheapest garbage they can get to maximize profit on you. 

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

More like your laptop manufacture used that $0.10 audio chip, instead of the $0.50 one. You get what you paid for. Of course, you as a consumer, have no choice, but your OEM doesn't care.. you are blaming Microsoft, not them for picking the cheapest garbage they can get to maximize profit on you. 

well I'm blaming microsoft for breaking it , worked before the update, doesn't now... although I frankly don't understand why a rollback didn't fix it but it didn't...

And I'm blaming Lenovo for not having this "Harman audio" software on their website...

i looked around, can't find it anywhere, but I'm pretty sure a reinstall of this software would fix it.

I had a similar issue a while ago with this laptop that forced me to reinstall, and someone helped me and the sound thing wasn't a big issue, idk if they installed a certain driver or what, but it did work (again)

PS: Just to clarify this, the sound works ,what doesn't work is the software that makes the speakers not sound like shit...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

PS: Just to clarify this, the sound works ,what doesn't work is the software that makes the speakers not sound like shit...

Do you have the "Enable Audio Enhancements" option in the sound control panel for your audio device checked?

On 10/2/2020 at 11:53 PM, BTGbullseye said:

Do you have the "Enable Audio Enhancements" option in the sound control panel for your audio device checked?

I'm not sure if it's missing or I'm just not finding it, but I don't see this anywhere...

I reinstalled the Harman Audio software through the built-in windows application settings... but there is no change...The Harman Equalizer does not work whatsoever

And no matter what I do I have sound cutting out regularly about every 3 minutes or so...

Anyway, where would I find this "audio enhancement" stuff exactly?  I looked in control panel and in so called "audio settings" it's nowhere to be seen. o_o

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

41 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'm not sure if it's missing or I'm just not finding it, but I don't see this anywhere...

The setting is under: Settings > System > Display.

Then under the main area panel, you should have at the bottom a link that says: "Graphics Settings". The option should be at the top.

You can also set it via the registry:

Under Regedit, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

Then double click on "HwSchMode" on the main pane, and set its value to "1".

If you don't have "HwSchMode" you can add it. It is just a DWORD. However, if its not there, it is probably because your system is not compatible.

Like I said, I don't have support for it, so I can't double check.

In both cases above, you'll need to restart your system after you set it, to apply

59 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The setting is under: Settings > System > Display.

Then under the main area panel, you should have at the bottom a link that says: "Graphics Settings". The option should be at the top.

nah,  we were talking about "enhanced" audio settings... o.o

I'd replied to @BTGbullseye earlier but I didn't have time to actually check on the laptop until now 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity