5700xt core clock drops

fuzzywuzzy699
Go to solution Solved by fuzzywuzzy699,
1 minute ago, BTGbullseye said:

So, out of all 12 threads, none of them go above 80%? If that's so, then it's likely a game optimization issue.

Yeah that's correct. As just commented below, I have adjusted the frequency values slightly in Radeon software and capped my core clock frequency to 1900min- 1925-1950maz with a voltage of 1100. This seems to have fixed the issue of random under clocks, all be it I don't know why this was occurring in most games to begin with.

Sounds like one of the CPU cores is getting overloaded, and the game has to wait for the core to finish processing for a few milliseconds extra. That would explain everything you're seeing.

Check to see if there's something running in the background using one of your CPU cores heavily. (like Windows Defender running a scan)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

You have custom fan curve set by MSI Afterburner? Try disable the custom fan control.

20 minutes ago, Deli said:

You have custom fan curve set by MSI Afterburner? Try disable the custom fan control.

Hiya. I dont have a custom fan curve no.It would give me black screens when using it.

24 minutes ago, fuzzywuzzy699 said:

Hiya. I dont have a custom fan curve no.It would give me black screens when using it.

Sometimes the fps drops to 50 something or lower. It usually associates with a big spike on CPU usages. I don't know what is causing that. However the GPU clock stays very consistent during the game play, at ~1910MHz. Only during the load screen I see GPU clock drops below base clock. I'm still on 20.4.2 driver.

One thing I know the Assassin's Creed Odyssey isn't very optimised for PC. However you experience similar problem in other games.....

56 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Sounds like one of the CPU cores is getting overloaded, and the game has to wait for the core to finish processing for a few milliseconds extra. That would explain everything you're seeing.

Check to see if there's something running in the background using one of your CPU cores heavily. (like Windows Defender running a scan)

ive added single core monitoring to MSI AB. Highest usage on single core was 80%. No other tasks running apart from game launcher.

2 minutes ago, fuzzywuzzy699 said:

ive added single core monitoring to MSI AB. Highest usage on single core was 80%. No other tasks running apart from game launcher.

So, out of all 12 threads, none of them go above 80%? If that's so, then it's likely a game optimization issue.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

11 minutes ago, Deli said:

Sometimes the fps drops to 50 something or lower. It usually associates with a big spike on CPU usages. I don't know what is causing that. However the GPU clock stays very consistent during the game play, at ~1910MHz. Only during the load screen I see GPU clock drops below base clock. I'm still on 20.4.2 driver.

One thing I know the Assassin's Creed Odyssey isn't very optimised for PC. However you experience similar problem in other games.....

I decided to play around with the tuning on the Radeon Software. It seems to be a lot smoother gameplay wise since I have locked my min-average-max Frequency to 1900-1925-1950 and voltage to 1100. 

I am still seeing some frame dips, but as you say AC is not well optimised. Adjusting the frequency seems to have somewhat solved the issue, all be it im using more power than needed. Just couldn't bare it dropping down to like 600mhz in game and seeing a performance hit.

1 minute ago, BTGbullseye said:

Yeah that's correct. As just commented below, I have adjusted the frequency values slightly in Radeon software and capped my core clock frequency to 1900min- 1925-1950maz with a voltage of 1100. This seems to have fixed the issue of random under clocks, all be it I don't know why this was occurring in most games to begin with.