Looking for a very specific cooler.

Grabow

I am looking for a cooler that fits these specifications to replace the stock cooler of the Ryzen 5 3600:

My case, Silverstone PS-15, says it has max height of 154mm but some reviewers have gotten a 155mm to fit.

Ryzen 5 3600. would like to try and get a modest overclock if possible.

Max price of $40. This is for a relatively "budget" minded build so the cheaper the better.

If I find something that gets close to this, I either can't find a review or it is no longer available.

@Slottr I'm concerned about the height. The Gammaxx 400 is at 154.5 and the max is 154.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Many 120mm fan tower coolers may be just too tall. Either find cooler that uses 92mm fan. or top-down air cooler.

Scythe Big Shuriken 3 is 69mm tall.

Small inexpensive air coolers that use 92mm fan don't leave much room for overclocking. R5 3600 isn't exactly a cool CPU.....not easy.

9 minutes ago, Deli said:

Small inexpensive air coolers that use 92mm fan don't leave much room for overclocking. R5 3600 isn't exactly a cool CPU.....not easy.

Your best bet would be an AIO (over budget) since Ryzen is completely dependant on temps if you want to overclock, but you won't really get anything meaningful out of overclocking a 3600, or honestly any Ryzen 3000 CPU. The biggest benefit would be experimenting with the ram and infinity fabric clocks/timings. 

Here's a list of cpu coolers under 154mm https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#H=14000000,154000000

16 minutes ago, Grabow said:

Looks like if I stretch the budget about $10 this becomes available

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-5117-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100

Anyone have experience with this on a 3600?

This one is 155mm tall. You need to make sure it fits inside your case.

This cooler uses 120mm fan. I have it with R5 3600. Comfortable with 4.3GHz OC, if the target temperature is low to mid 70' C.

@Deli I thought the specifications said it was 154mm which would be the edge of my limit.

Just now, Grabow said:

@Deli I thought the specifications said it was 154mm which would be the edge of my limit.

I measure the Mugen 5. It's exactly 155mm tall. I need it to fit inside Cooler Master NR200.

Then they need to update their specification page because it is showing 154 and on pc part picker as well.

@Caroline while that cooler is awesome and would allow me to overclock the snot out of the 3600, its over double of what my max budget is.

3 hours ago, Grabow said:

Then they need to update their specification page because it is showing 154 and on pc part picker as well.

Although I'm not 100% sure. Any case with a 120mm rear exhaust fan will have enough room for 155mm tall air cooler. I look up the photos of Silverstone PS-15. It doesn't look anything unusual.

Not 100% sure, but like 95% sure the Mugen 5 will fit just fine in your case.

22 minutes ago, Grabow said:

If I push the budget up a little bit I can get this and it seems like a really good option for an AIO, especially at this price range.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4TpmP6/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml120l-rgb-v2-6559-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlw-d12m-a18pc-r2

A 120mm AIO will perform worse than Mugen 5, or other large air tower coolers.

It would be guaranteed to fit. I would be taking a chance on the coolers that 154.5 or higher. This case is really compact.

11 hours ago, Grabow said:

It would be guaranteed to fit. I would be taking a chance on the coolers that 154.5 or higher. This case is really compact.

delete