I9 9900k WITH DH15s SEEMS HOT!!!

Hey everyone, so I may be overreacting. Haha. I've rebuilt my first computer that I originally had built through Cyberpower PC about 6 months ago after I learned a little more about pcs and that they skimped out on more than a few key components. I got a new motherboard, power supply, ram and CPU cooler. The parts now are as follows: i9 9900k, Nvidia EVGA ultra gaming OC 2080super graphics card, MSI MEG z390 Ace motherboard, Samsung 860 EVO m.2 1tb SSD, Corsair RMx 1000 PSU, 32 Gb 3600hz Trident Gskill ram and Noctua dh15s CPU cooler). My CPU temps seems to run high (42-45 at idle, which from what I've read, that cooler should be more than enough for stock clock speeds. That may be wrong also. Haha) and I'm not sure if I've done something wrong when installing the cooler. It seemed odd to me that when I installed the cooler, it was already making contact with the CPU. Is that normal? Also, I've tried reseating it and it didn't seem to make a difference, but again, this is my first build and I'm not sure if I made a mistake when installing in the first place. Could it be the ambient temp in my room? It is quite warm. I would love some advice or things to try. 

2 minutes ago, ClickClick said:

CPU temps seems to run high (42-45 at idle

how hot is it when you're running Cinebench R20?

2 minutes ago, ClickClick said:

It seemed odd to me that when I installed the cooler, it was already making contact with the CPU. Is that normal?

it should be making contact, did you use thermal paste?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Oh yeah. I'm running xmp, but having it off doesn't make a difference in temps.

let me check. and, yes. I used the paste that came with the cooler.

Yeah, Delta T over ambient is more valuable than raw temperature.

My 7700K is running at about 13-15C Delta T over the ambient temperature, the ambient is 18C so it's idling at about 31C.

~40C doesn't seem ridiculously high, maybe a tiny bit, but it's an 8 core 14nm chip, they're known to be hot(ish).

Also there's an edit feature for posts too FYI ;)

Idle temps are meaningless.

83° at full load is cool.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, ClickClick said:

83 mx on one run.

not sure how well the cooler is supposed to cool the cpu, but looks ok, no thermal issues

also remember to quote the person you're replying to so they'll see it

Okay. That makes sense. What should in game temps be? Also, sitting right now while its cooler at night the temps are sitting at 34-35. I suppose i read to many bad posts saying that it should keep it around 30 idle at all times. Hahaha. Can't trust everything you read on the internet I suppose.

3 minutes ago, ClickClick said:

Hahaha. Can't trust everything you read on the internet I suppose.

Yea not sure who said that lol. 

But idle temps don't mean anything for the most part, if your load temps are fine then that's what's important. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

not sure how well the cooler is supposed to cool the cpu, but looks ok, no thermal issues

also remember to quote the person you're replying to so they'll see it

Thank you for that! Also thank you for the comment earlier. So when i seat the cooler it should be making contact with CPU before i screw it down? Also, how tight should I screw it down? It said to go until the screws stop in the instructions, but I felt that may be too tight, so I did it less the second time.

11 minutes ago, Conza said:

Yeah, Delta T over ambient is more valuable than raw temperature.

My 7700K is running at about 13-15C Delta T over the ambient temperature, the ambient is 18C so it's idling at about 31C.

~40C doesn't seem ridiculously high, maybe a tiny bit, but it's an 8 core 14nm chip, they're known to be hot(ish).

Also there's an edit feature for posts too FYI ;)

That makes a lot of sense honestly. So the rating on a cooler isn't so much about general temps but how much of a difference it is from ambient temps.

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Idle temps are meaningless.

83° at full load is cool.

Okay, so worry more about load temps than idle. Is cinebench a good one to test for that? It doesn't seem like a very long test. 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yea not sure who said that lol. 

But idle temps don't mean anything for the most part, if your load temps are fine then that's what's important. 

I'm starting to gather that. Haha. I guess I was just freaking out because it was my first build. When should I be concerned?

The cooler TDP, afaik, is based on heat level in watts the cooler is capable of handling, it's not at all related to the processor's TDP spec, they're almost unrelated.

Yes to the above as well, basically if you're comfortable with the temperatures at load then idle will obviously be much less.  There's give an take, personally if it was idling at 55-60C in a around 20C room, I would consider that a bit high and possibly it's overvolted or overclocked and overpowering the CPU cooler you have. Then if the load temperatures were above where I like them to be (80C, that's just my personal preference), then I'd lower overclocks until I was happy with them. If they're going within... 5-10C of Thermal Junction Max, even if those were spikes, that's personally too hot and I would say again, lower values somewhere.

5 minutes ago, ClickClick said:

So when i seat the cooler it should be making contact with CPU before i screw it down?

yes

Also, how tight should I screw it down?

until you feel a stop

It said to go until the screws stop in the instructions, but I felt that may be too tight, so I did it less the second time.

yes (i didnt read this part before replying the above)

most reputable cooler makes you do this, it's the easiest way to ensure you get the proper mounting pressure

some cheap coolers might break your cpu if you overtighten though (your D15 is a premium cooler so dont worry)

4 minutes ago, ClickClick said:

Is cinebench a good one to test for that? It doesn't seem like a very long test. 

one run wont saturate it, you can do a looped test to find the saturated temp (until temp stabilises)

but it's a pretty much the worse case scenario if the only thing you'll be doing is gaming

there are other heavier tests, but those are really unrealistic unless you're using the CPU for compute tasks.

1 hour ago, ClickClick said:

When should I be concerned?

Anything over 90c plus. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, Conza said:

The cooler TDP, afaik, is based on heat level in watts the cooler is capable of handling, it's not at all related to the processor's TDP spec, they're almost unrelated.

Yes to the above as well, basically if you're comfortable with the temperatures at load then idle will obviously be much less.  There's give an take, personally if it was idling at 55-60C in a around 20C room, I would consider that a bit high and possibly it's overvolted or overclocked and overpowering the CPU cooler you have. Then if the load temperatures were above where I like them to be (80C, that's just my personal preference), then I'd lower overclocks until I was happy with them. If they're going within... 5-10C of Thermal Junction Max, even if those were spikes, that's personally too hot and I would say again, lower values somewhere.

Thank you for the in depth reply. I have dabled in overclocking but can't get it stable so i just run stock. Haha. I'd love to figure it out one day.

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yes

until you feel a stop

yes (i didnt read this part before replying the above)

most reputable cooler makes you do this, it's the easiest way to ensure you get the proper mounting pressure

some cheap coolers might break your cpu if you overtighten though (your D15 is a premium cooler so dont worry)

one run wont saturate it, you can do a looped test to find the saturated temp (until temp stabilises)

but it's a pretty much the worse case scenario if the only thing you'll be doing is gaming

there are other heavier tests, but those are really unrealistic unless you're using the CPU for compute tasks.

So, Should I clean off the CPU and Heatsync on the cooler, reseat it, and tighten it all the way? Also, I do some video editing and want to learn unreal engine and graphics design. Is that too much for my setup?

11 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Anything over 90c plus. 

Sweet. That's good news. Playing games and things I usually sit aroun 60-75. I've only seen those temps once and it was a HUGE spike when I started the new avengers game when it first came out. After a little research I found that it was a software problem and that my PC was fine. The game also runs just fine now.

Playing games and things I usually sit aroun 60-75. 

Yea, perfectly good temps. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Awesome. Thank you so much for the peace of mind. One last thing, could a new case lower my temps? The one I have has a glass panel in front of the Intake fans fans. Is that okay or would it be beneficial to upgrade?

9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I found one that wasn't a link. Sorry about the last one.

Sybercube.jpg

17 minutes ago, ClickClick said:

Should I clean off the CPU and Heatsync on the cooler, reseat it, and tighten it all the way?

nah, just tighten it will do

only need to re-paste if you lift the cooler up after mushing the paste (but honestly if it's fresh, just add a lil bit more in the centre, no need to clean the freshly spreaded paste away)

18 minutes ago, ClickClick said:

Also, I do some video editing and want to learn unreal engine and graphics design. Is that too much for my setup?

nah, wont be an issue

. Is that okay or would it be beneficial to upgrade?

I mean a case with better airflow will help with the temps, though your temps are already fine so you don't really need one. 

Build Log: