Slow Lan Speeds Compared to WiFi (5G Internet)

Th3 Chosen On3

Hi Guys,

Been having issues over the past two days with slow Lan speeds compared to WiFi, which I seem to not be able to fix.

Background
I've gotten new 5G internet connection (Rain 5G - South Africa), that I've connected to my network to replace my 4G Internet. It's not fully setup yet, but I've been able to achieve anywhere between 50mbps to 100mbps through WiFi using my phone. This will eventually increase to around 200mbps or 300mbps after I've done proper antenna installation.

The 5G Internet comes with a Modem/Router/Antenna (HUAWEI 5G Outdoor CPE - N5368X https://consumer.huawei.com/za/routers/5g-cpe-pro/specs/), with a single RJ45 ethernet port to connect a router or computer. Because this modem will eventually be installed outside next to a wall, far away from all my devices, I need to make use of a router to connect my two PC's, phones, tv's, etc. to a single network.

The routers I have available and used are:

• Huawei B315s-936
  • Netgear D6000

Network Setup
I have the 5G Modem in "IP Passthrough" Mode, which disables most router features (WiFi, DHCP, NAT, Firewall, etc) so it can be handled by a connected router. The 5G Modem is then connected via ethernet cable to the Lan/Wan port in the above mentioned routers, then my devices are connected to the router. The connected router handles all the router functions that have been disabled on the 5G Modem.

The Issue

My download speeds through WiFi on my phone are great, achieving anywhere between 50 to 100mbps, but my computers that are connected through the Lan ports on the router, have a lot slower speed than the WiFi, mostly achieving anywhere between 10 to 20mbps.

My WiFi download speeds:
image.thumb.png.7661b63e81d53206581f1c1ea1c81e60.png

My Lan download speeds (Both PC's):
image.png.5e9589335d3aab28853cacd090a71660.png

PC Ethernet Settings and Status:
image.png.f2684ad1b9d2424099c8912ec79b08f8.png

image.png.f488fe65567b88bce07134e5da9703fd.png

Attempted Fixes:

I've tried the following to fix this issue:

• Bought New Lan Cables (CAT 7)
  • Updated/Installed Network Drivers for Motherboard (Asus Z87 Sabretooth)
  • Updated Windows 10 and All Drivers
  • Disabled Windows Auto-Tuning (Turned Back on after testing with it off)
  • Disabled Large Send Offload (LSO, turned it back on after testing with it off)
  • Set Ethernet Duplex settings to 1.00 Gbps Full Duplex
  • Disabled IPv6
  • Used Both Routers available with the same result.

Conclusion:

I've got no idea how to fix the issue and how to proceed further. A family member has recommended that I buy a new router (Netgear XR500) to fix this issue, but even with the current routers I would at least expect 100mbps through the Lan ports, so I'm uncertain if spending money on a new router would fix the issue. Any idea on how to proceed or potential fixes I can try?

4 hours ago, Th3 Chosen On3 said:

The routers I have available and used are:

• Huawei B315s-936V
  • Netgear D6000

How are these connected after the CPE device?

Are both running in their default router mode?

3 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

How are these connected after the CPE device?

Are both running in their default router mode?

Yeah,

I've tried both running them in their normal mode, as well as disabling all of the features (NAT, Firewall, DHCP, etc) to make them function as a Access Point and letting the Modem do all of that, but got the same results.

To expand on my post:

I've connected the Modem directly to my computer, and have gotten significantly greater download speeds:
image.png.37be7022e90f72c903f7e19eace578be.png

I'm assuming now that both routers I have are too slow or don't have enough WAN throughput to sustain or reach these speeds.

On 9/24/2020 at 7:07 AM, Th3 Chosen On3 said:

Yeah,

I've tried both running them in their normal mode, as well as disabling all of the features (NAT, Firewall, DHCP, etc) to make them function as a Access Point and letting the Modem do all of that, but got the same results.

To expand on my post:

I've connected the Modem directly to my computer, and have gotten significantly greater download speeds:
image.png.37be7022e90f72c903f7e19eace578be.png

I'm assuming now that both routers I have are too slow or don't have enough WAN throughput to sustain or reach these speeds.

If you have them in Access Point mode then WAN throughput should be irrelevant as you connect them by a LAN port and leave the WAN port empty.  The traffic should simply be passing over the internal switch.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

@Th3 Chosen On3

I agree with @Alex Atkin UK. Any device that you're essentially running as a switch or standalone access point (not in router mode) after the primary router has to be attached via ethernet from the LAN port of the primary router to the LAN port of the switch/AP.

Secondly, are you using both the Huawei B315s-936 and Netgear D6000 connected to each other? Do you have them upgraded to their latest stable stock firmware?

I'd recommend you start from scratch with a simple setup:

1. Reset the Netgear D6000 to defaults from within the admin interface. Update to the latest official/stable firmware from the Netgear website (even if it's the same version that you have installed) over a wired connection. After a successful flash, log back into the D6000 and reset the router to defaults again.
  2. After successfully rebooting the D6000, turn it off, connect it to the CPE and set up the D6000 as a new router. Follow the manual for setup.
  3. Disable WMM QoS, any parental controls or firewall rules, ReadyShare/FTP, and Port Scan & DoS Protection at the WAN.
  4. Test your connection speeds using wired and wireless connections.
  5. View the logs to see if anything is being reported as abnormal.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:14 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

If you have them in Access Point mode then WAN throughput should be irrelevant as you connect them by a LAN port and leave the WAN port empty.  The traffic should simply be passing over the internal switch.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:58 PM, Falcon1986 said:

@Th3 Chosen On3

I agree with @Alex Atkin UK. Any device that you're essentially running as a switch or standalone access point (not in router mode) after the primary router has to be attached via ethernet from the LAN port of the primary router to the LAN port of the switch/AP.

Yeah, when I did the Access Point mode on both routers, I did switch from WAN to LAN, but it didn't fix the issue.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:58 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Secondly, are you using both the Huawei B315s-936 and Netgear D6000 connected to each other? Do you have them upgraded to their latest stable stock firmware?

I'd recommend you start from scratch with a simple setup:

1. Reset the Netgear D6000 to defaults from within the admin interface. Update to the latest official/stable firmware from the Netgear website (even if it's the same version that you have installed) over a wired connection. After a successful flash, log back into the D6000 and reset the router to defaults again.
  2. After successfully rebooting the D6000, turn it off, connect it to the CPE and set up the D6000 as a new router. Follow the manual for setup.
  3. Disable WMM QoS, any parental controls or firewall rules, ReadyShare/FTP, and Port Scan & DoS Protection at the WAN.
  4. Test your connection speeds using wired and wireless connections.
  5. View the logs to see if anything is being reported as abnormal.

I'm using one router at a time, I was using the Huawei B315 router before I upgraded my internet, but when I noticed the extremely low speeds on LAN, I had a backup router (Netgear D6000) with a gigabit WAN/LAN port, that I tried using. I did follow the steps that you provided, but it didn't resolve the issue.

I decided just to buy another router (Netgear XR500 Nighthawk), which fixed the issue for me on the LAN ports. I'm now able to get full speeds through LAN and WiFi:
unknown.png

I think I just had a couple of bad routers, since they were both more than 4 years old with lots of use. Thank you @Falcon1986 and @Alex Atkin UK for assisting me with the issue and responding on the thread.