Problems with Ethernet Adapter

Hello, I am in need of help :'<<

The problem is that occasionally, the past weeks or so, the internet stops working in my PC randomly.

It works with all the devices through out the house other than my PC that is hooked into ethernet. I tried everything from ipconfig /flushdns and other kinds of tutorials in Youtube and community forums but it only provides a 1 - 2 day fix to the problem. It will occur randomly all through-out the day and it is annoying to always have to try and troubleshoot the problem. I also reinstall Realtek's ethernet driver of which it did work yesterday but today as of 3:50 P.M. PST, the ethernet cable and the connection is connected but doesn't connected to the internet/web of which only google search opens and it can't open up sites. 

I have also checked my physical connections such as cables and also the router, even factory reset the router and also checking for malware or any malicious files that are hiding with Malwarebytes deep scan and Avast Anti-Virus but there weren't any detected viruses using these applications.

I am currently using a USB to WI-FI Adapter to be able to connect to the internet.

The only problem that I can point out as to where it originated are the ff:

• Windows Update as of 8/23/2020 (there were news that the windows update provided problems to ethernet adapters) caused my ethernet driver problems
  • Malware, Virus and any Malicious files might be in my system (one time it did sort of hijack my instagram account) 
  • Ethernet Port is faulty(?)

That's all I can say about this and it is such a headache on solving this because it is so repetitive. This happened around last month and it works fine time to time only but not today as of September 20, 2020. 

... and can you guys recommended or tell me about using a USB to Ethernet Adapter because my USB to WI-FI adapters seems to solve this problem much faster and I am considering buying  it and it is such a waste to not use the ethernet. 

the pictures below are what I am seeing every time I am connect via Ethernet in my PC.

STart.png

Paint.png

loading.png

You may try change cable, change settings of your lan card or just buy cheap pcie lan card and forget about built in one if it works bad.

USB to Ethernet adapters work great.

Most often there is a problem with ip configuration, router trying to assign same address to multiple devices.

You can configure a static IP in the right range and see if that makes a difference.

somethinglikethat.png.704f9bafb8f9465897dc4efe5b60ccd0.png

Or disable IPv6, maybe it's causing trouble...

15 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Most often there is a problem with ip configuration, router trying to assign same address to multiple devices.

You can configure a static IP in the right range and see if that makes a difference.

do you recommend on reinstalling windows? 

this is kinda my last resort because me and my brother have tried on setting in on static and other kinds of ways with the ip

24 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

You may try change cable, change settings of your lan card or just buy cheap pcie lan card and forget about built in one if it works bad.

change the cables and the settings of the lan card on my mobo but still doesn't work. i am however resulting to reinstalling windows 

44 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

The problem is that occasionally, the past weeks or so, the internet stops working in my PC randomly.

It works with all the devices through out the house other than my PC that is hooked into ethernet. I tried everything from ipconfig /flushdns and other kinds of tutorials in Youtube and community forums but it only provides a 1 - 2 day fix to the problem. It will occur randomly all through-out the day and it is annoying to always have to try and troubleshoot the problem. I also reinstall Realtek's ethernet driver of which it did work yesterday but today as of 3:50 P.M. PST, the ethernet cable and the connection is connected but doesn't connected to the internet/web of which only google search opens and it can't open up sites. 

I have also checked my physical connections such as cables and also the router, even factory reset the router and also checking for malware or any malicious files that are hiding with Malwarebytes deep scan and Avast Anti-Virus but there weren't any detected viruses using these applications.

I am currently using a USB to WI-FI Adapter to be able to connect to the internet.

• Windows Update as of 8/23/2020 (there were news that the windows update provided problems to ethernet adapters) caused my ethernet driver problems
  • Malware, Virus and any Malicious files might be in my system (one time it did sort of hijack my instagram account) 

That's all I can say about this and it is such a headache on solving this because it is so repetitive. This happened around last month and it works fine time to time only but not today as of September 20, 2020. 

... and can you guys recommended or tell me about using a USB to Ethernet Adapter because my USB to WI-FI adapters seems to solve this problem much faster and I am considering buying  it and it is such a waste to not use the ethernet. 

the pictures below are what I am seeing every time I am connect via Ethernet in my PC.

STart.png

Paint.png

loading.png

update on this is that it is connected to internet but only certain sites like youtube and twitter can only access, 

I will have to resort on reinstalling windows in order to get the recommended drivers as well to clean the windows registry which might have a virus last time I was scanning for viruses 

It's not Windows problem but dns cache problem or lan card, or even router. Do you tried changing dns addresses to fixed ones? Like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4? Both - in Windows and router?

Sure, you can reinstall system. It's not a solution, but it's your choice. Imo you should install system on another drive just in case problem will still be there on fresh installation.

Ive recently had an issue where i thought my onboard Ethernet port had died but it turned out to be a cable.

I took the time to change all my cables then from cat 5 to cat 7 for future proofing.

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

It's not Windows problem but dns cache problem or lan card, or even router. Do you tried changing dns addresses to fixed ones? Like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4? Both - in Windows and router?

Sure, you can reinstall system. It's not a solution, but it's your choice. Imo you should install system on another drive just in case problem will still be there on fresh installation.

I had and it did work momentarily. It was when I me and my brother factory restarted the router and also setting the dns addresses 8.8.8.8.

I have suspected that it might be the on board lan card that has a problem. Ethernet port lights up but  somtimes the internet just wont connect

1. make sure motherboard and Ethernet port is cleaned. sometimes dust can short-circuit stuff and do this. (yes you have to unmount the motherboard from its case)
2. make sure the cable rj45 pins is cleaned and working, try it connecting with different laptop or pc if it has issue on the other tested device your cable is the culprit.
3. full uninstall(wipe it off and make sure its not stored) the Ethernet driver and install the manufacturer provided on their website and disable windows 10 driver auto updates for drivers. (they sometimes break things)

4. probably some software blocking its access and we need to uninstall, please post running programs.

if those still not work, buy cheapo USB to ethernet port(that support USB 3.0 and above) or USB to Wifi or PCI Ethernet card all of these are really cheap.

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Internet Speed.....

1 hour ago, Shinon214 said:

1. make sure motherboard and Ethernet port is cleaned. sometimes dust can short-circuit stuff and do this. (yes you have to unmount the motherboard from its case)
2. make sure the cable rj45 pins is cleaned and working, try it connecting with different laptop or pc if it has issue on the other tested device your cable is the culprit.
3. full uninstall(wipe it off and make sure its not stored) the Ethernet driver and install the manufacturer provided on their website and disable windows 10 driver auto updates for drivers. (they sometimes break things)

4. probably some software blocking its access and we need to uninstall, please post running programs.

if those still not work, buy cheapo USB to ethernet port(that support USB 3.0 and above) or USB to Wifi or PCI Ethernet card all of these are really cheap.

It is working now for some apparent reason now but I did dust off the pc when it wasn't working, I also updated Windows as of today (apparently it was not up to date) and maybe that would work. I said maybe because it may or may not go back to its original state of where the internet just randomly crashes and makes me go crazy on what is the problem. WI-FI dongles and maybe the USB to Ethernet port maybe my fail safe. 

I have yet to observe this maybe my router (I don't know what's the term to this) assigns my PC and my sister's PC with the same IP resulting to my PC getting connected via Ethernet but not the Internet/Web. I just plugged the Ethernet cables directly without any IP configuration of both PC, both of which are set to automatically find it's IP address in the network settings.

6 hours ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

STart.png

Paint.png

loading.png

Update as of 12:05 AM PST, Monday, September 21, 2020. 

I can now connect to the Internet normally using Ethernet and not the WI-FI dongle.

I have cleaned everything starting my junk files and deep scanned everything using Malwarebytes and Avast - Anti Virus (No threats or any Malicious Content where detected by the anti-virus software).

The only concern is that it will happen again randomly. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the new Realtek PCIE GBE Family Controller Driver for this PC and also updated Windows as it might fix some driver issues within. 

I have yet to try and check if the network IP's of my PC and my sister's PC clashes against each other (pun intended). Usually it works fine when the Ethernet Connection of my sister's PC isn't connected to the router. 

Before, both devices or PC's automatically obtain an IP address but now I set my personal PC to Static IP and left my sister's PC to automatically obtain an IP address but currently is using the WI-FI dongle that I previously used (which works wonderful when my pc's internet just plummeted and can't connect to google search).

I will continue observe this for a few days and will update this as time goes on...

I am grateful to all the people that helped me and gave me recommendations to where and on how to fix the problem and it kinda made me less anxious because I thought I had to buy a new motherboard for this PC.

22 hours ago, RageTester said:

this worked but I am still wondering as to where did all of that conflict came from and also might need the information if ever it comes back

I initially thought that my pc had viruses but now I think it's the router which is a cheap TP-LINK Model NO: TL-WR940N and it runs 24/7 usually.

I have set my IP to static and it works miracles for now but I did cut off the ethernet connection to my sister's pc

I will have to observe this for a while and see if I need to upgrade the router.

@Martin Jr. Nalugon If your getting a new Router, look at the ASUS range.

Internet Speed.....

2 hours ago, Jimkirk363 said:

@Martin Jr. Nalugon If your getting a new Router, look at the ASUS range.

I want disagree. Asus was one of the worst routers I had, and it was not some cheap model. But it's my personal opinion.

I recommend Tp-Link.

@homeap5 I had the ASUS RT-AC86u & 87u and both outstanding routers.  The 87u was replaced as i wanted faster wifi and the 86u died a death but that can happen with anything electronic.

Just stay away from Netgear routers.  The hardware is fine but the firmware is tediously slow.

Internet Speed.....

Just now, Jimkirk363 said:

@homeap5 I had the ASUS RT-AC86u & 87u and both outstanding routers.  The 87u was replaced as i wanted faster wifi and the 86u died a death but that can happen with anything electronic.

Just stay away from Netgear routers.  The hardware is fine but the firmware is tediously slow.

I had AC68U - it was tragedy. Lot of firmware updates, alternative firmwares and all of them have the same problems. Especially with extra functionality. For example - print server stops working after 1 day and router needs to be restarted to made it works again. Software for that print server can crash whole system (and that is not just my opinion). One person even made his own firmware modification that... restarts router automatically once per day! Is it a good solution for serious hardware? Another option to use print port directly in raw mode needs more than 10 seconds to start printing single page. My old crappy Planet router needs 2 seconds for the same operation and that was really bad router. Some other functions not working at all or works really bad. GUI is slow as hell - every option change needs at least 10 seconds to apply (with counting 10%... 20%...). Compare it to any other router like TP-Link when most of options are applied instantly. Or maybe you want to share some files from your computer using built-in function? Sure, you can - if you give login and password to your operating system to person who you want to share files with. Great - 100% secure.

Ok, wifi range and cable speed - they're very good. But so what? Router should work stable and all his functions should work if producer gives them to the user. Not in AC68U case, sorry. I prefer even 5% slower connection on more reliable router.

@homeap5 In the 4 years i had the 86u it was rock solid in all ways, wired and wirelessly.

Since the router has gone down and ive had to rely on this Netgear R8000 here instead i've had to extend my wireless using an old router since i couldn't get wireless in the garden 4 floors down where i could with the 86u.

Internet Speed.....