Switching monitor profiles?

commanderZiltoid

I currently have two systems setup. My main rig which is setup at a traditional office desk, which utilizes 5 monitors, and a standing desk on the other side of my office with a secondary rig utilizing two monitors. I've decided it's finally time to upgrade everything (as I built my main rig in 2013 and am still rocking an fx8350). During this process I'm considering using a single rig for both my traditional desk setup with it's 5 monitors and my standing desk (and throwing in a couple more monitors while I'm at it) and I'm trying to figure out what the best solution would be for switching desktops between the two multiple monitor setups. So for example, If my traditional desk uses monitors 1-5 and my standing desk uses monitors 6-9, is there a way within windows to seamlessly deactivate or switch between 1-5 and 6-9 so that only one set is being utilized at a time (monitor 1 containing a start menu and monitor 6 also containing a start menu)?

I suppose another solution may be to just add all 9 monitors, and then only have a start menu on 1 and 6, although I'm not sure that's doable. I've only ever seen the option to have the start menu on primary or all monitors (unless I've overlooked something or that's changed since then).

Open to any ideas / suggestions.

I got a general suggestion:

a mere 5 monitors is a complicated setup and is going to have weirdnesses. 9 monitors could get Byzantine.  Make sure your new setup is working before getting rid of the old one. I don’t even know of a card that even has 9 outputs.

As far as “switching” goes I’m not sure what you mean exactly. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:54 PM, Bombastinator said:

I got a general suggestion:

a mere 5 monitors is a complicated setup and is going to have weirdnesses. 9 monitors could get Byzantine.  Make sure your new setup is working before getting rid of the old one. I don’t even know of a card that even has 9 outputs.

As far as “switching” goes I’m not sure what you mean exactly. 

Apologies for the late reply, but I think I've figured out what I'm going to do. Instead of the two desks (standing/sitting), I'm going to expand my sitting desk setup to include 6 monitors in a 3x3 setup (MST hubs). This way when sitting I will have easy access to all 6 monitors, but if I want to stand I can switch the primary monitor to the middle top row monitor (so taskbar is visible on this display), and work from the three top row monitors (and build a keyboard/mouse riser that I can just pick up and move when sitting). Sounds like it will be the least convoluted way to accomplish what I'm after.

2 hours ago, commanderZiltoid said:

Apologies for the late reply, but I think I've figured out what I'm going to do. Instead of the two desks (standing/sitting), I'm going to expand my sitting desk setup to include 6 monitors in a 3x3 setup (MST hubs). This way when sitting I will have easy access to all 6 monitors, but if I want to stand I can switch the primary monitor to the middle top row monitor (so taskbar is visible on this display), and work from the three top row monitors (and build a keyboard/mouse riser that I can just pick up and move when sitting). Sounds like it will be the least convoluted way to accomplish what I'm after.

If you got a card with six video outs and you use all of them it could be simpler.  If you don’t there’s going to have to be two cards involved which could make things a lot more complicated.  People do it.  I’ve heard of 16 monitor video walls. I don’t know how it works though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.