Should I upgrade my phone now or wait

Xereth

So i currently have an iPhone SE 1st gen which i have had for the past 3 years. When i go to school i leave on about 80% charge and on the 30 mins a day im on the bus using my phone I am usually down to 20-30%, my phone also gets very hot when i am talking to my friends on instagram. I want to switch to android as it is better for what i use my phone for and simply ios doesnt have apps that i want. I was looking at getting the samsung A71 as I found a contract on voxi which has 12GB of data unlimited social media data and unlimited texts and calls. Should i get it or wait till christmas or black friday. Thanks in advance!

Going from the iPhone ecosystem into a Samsung one doesn't make sense. Samsung usually loads their phones with bloat that, over time, kills your phone in exactly the same way that you described what's happening to your current phone. I was doing the Samsung thing from the 3 to the 7, they're only good for like a year I've found, then they just start getting slower, hotter, and just a terrible experience.

I looked at the Voxi page and they also offer the Pixel 4 from Google for nearly the same price, I would get that. It's pure Android, no bloat of a mainstream flagship, just an open and close to the architecture experience. I've had my Pixel 3a XL for over a year and it's a world of difference from every single Samsung I've ever owned.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

1 minute ago, Lord Bloobus said:

Going from the iPhone ecosystem into a Samsung one doesn't make sense. Samsung usually loads their phones with bloat that, over time, kills your phone in exactly the same way that you described what's happening to your current phone. I was doing the Samsung thing from the 3 to the 7, they're only good for like a year I've found, then they just start getting slower, hotter, and just a terrible experience.

I looked at the Voxi page and they also offer the Pixel 4 from Google for nearly the same price, I would get that. It's pure Android, no bloat of a mainstream flagship, just an open and close to the architecture experience. I've had my Pixel 3a XL for over a year and it's a world of difference from every single Samsung I've ever owned.

I looked at the google pixel 4 and I dont like the look of it plus it has super large bezels and Ive never heard of samsung phones doing that, i was going to get the oneplus nord but i can only get a contract and the nord only has contracts on three and three is terrible where i live, any other phones?

I won't tell you how to spend your money, just saying that in my experience with several gens of Samsung, they all turn to frustrating garbage faster than you think. And if you won't look at superior phones because they have a larger bezel that allows for more native aspect ratios, you're gonna have a bad time.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

3 minutes ago, Lord Bloobus said:

I won't tell you how to spend your money, just saying that in my experience with several gens of Samsung, they all turn to frustrating garbage faster than you think. And if you won't look at superior phones because they have a larger bezel that allows for more native aspect ratios, you're gonna have a bad time.

Im not saying its a bad phone its just i havent really seen it as an outstanding phone in reviews and phone round ups compared to the samsung a series

6 minutes ago, Lord Bloobus said:

Ive done some research and the older phones did have that problem but they have since fixed it and their phones dont have that issue anymore, sorry for doubting you

7 minutes ago, Xereth said:

Im not saying its a bad phone its just i havent really seen it as an outstanding phone in reviews and phone round ups compared to the samsung a series

All the flagship phones I've ever bought had the same reviews, while the Pixel was labelled mid-range with a good camera, yet outperformed them all in longevity and actual usability.

Like my S7 would take forever to do things 1 year in, died in about 4 hours. My Pixel is snappy as ever, I regularly have videos on it for 4-6 hours at a time due to my slow work pace, and it only uses about 1/2 the battery. So it's really hard to trust all the reviews because the phone is probably great, for a while; but if you look at a timeline, there are serious issues after some regular usage.

3 minutes ago, Xereth said:

Ive done some research and the older phones did have that problem but they have since fixed it and their phones dont have that issue anymore, sorry for doubting you

Do you really want to trust more reviews when the problem was present for almost a decade?

8 minutes ago, Xereth said:

My Note 10's battery already is noticeably shorter with life. When I first got it I'd use it 12 hours a day for music. Airplane mode(no reception underground), bluetooth on and playing music. 89-91 percent life left at the end of the day. I'm at 81 about 8 hours into a shift right now.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, Lord Bloobus said:

All the flagship phones I've ever bought had the same reviews, while the Pixel was labelled mid-range with a good camera, yet outperformed them all in longevity and actual usability.

Like my S7 would take forever to do things 1 year in, died in about 4 hours. My Pixel is snappy as ever, I regularly have videos on it for 4-6 hours at a time due to my slow work pace, and it only uses about 1/2 the battery. So it's really hard to trust all the reviews because the phone is probably great, for a while; but if you look at a timeline, there are serious issues after some regular usage.

Do you really want to trust more reviews when the problem was present for almost a decade?

I have a few friends that have samsung phones and they havent had this issue but im starting to rethink going samsung, Im a bit scared about getting a pixel cause some have horrendous reviews but i know the pixel 3a is very good

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

My Note 10's battery already is noticeably shorter with life. When I first got it I'd use it 12 hours a day for music. Airplane mode(no reception underground), bluetooth on and playing music. 89-91 percent life left at the end of the day. I'm at 81 about 8 hours into a shift right now.

how long have you had it?

1 minute ago, Xereth said:

how long have you had it?

Last December ish.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Voluspa said:

Last December ish.

thats about the same degregation of my phone when i got it

12 minutes ago, Lord Bloobus said:

The problem with the pixel 4 is that it doesnt have the greatest camera compared to the samsung are there any other phones you would reccomend

6 minutes ago, Xereth said:

I have a few friends that have samsung phones and they havent had this issue but im starting to rethink going samsung, Im a bit scared about getting a pixel cause some have horrendous reviews but i know the pixel 3a is very good

I had the same reservations as you, honestly, I took about 2 weeks to finally pull the trigger on one. But now that I have it, I laugh when Samsung release their newest piece of shit because I know what happens after a while, especially when they stop supporting the phone. Every single update for those phones reliably kill more of it so you're forced to buy their newest piece of shit when you just want something that you can look at stuff on and not have to troubleshoot why the battery keeps dropping lower, and getting hotter, less responsive.

Just now, Xereth said:

The problem with the pixel 4 is that it doesnt have the greatest camera compared to the samsung are there any other phones you would reccomend

Most places are gonna compress your image upon posting, so unless you're doing some editing or pro photography, I guarantee you won't care. And it's still an amazing camera regardless.

Every single update for those phones reliably kill more of it so you're forced to buy their newest piece of shit when you just want something that you can look at stuff on and not have to troubleshoot why the battery keeps dropping lower, and getting hotter, less responsive.

Exactly why this is my last Samsung. I had the 7 for a while. I remember when it got to where there couldn't be anything over the phone when it was charging. I use my phone as an alarm, and it tracks my sleep movement for easier wake ups and all that. My 7, I rolled over onto it a couple of times and all but burnt myself. I can't remember why I went with the 10 this time. Ironically, my Razer phone 1 was all around really really good.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

Exactly why this is my last Samsung. I had the 7 for a while. I remember when it got to where there couldn't be anything over the phone when it was charging. I use my phone as an alarm, and it tracks my sleep movement for easier wake ups and all that. My 7, I rolled over onto it a couple of times and all but burnt myself. I can't remember why I went with the 10 this time. Ironically, my Razer phone 1 was all around really really good.

Pretty much why I'm telling everyone I know to never buy em, they sell expensive e-waste. People buying phones every year are crazy, but it's also because after a year, their phone probably runs like shit and they've noticed. I'm so happy with my Pixel, it's the greatest phone I've ever owned. I go snowboarding with it, take it running, to the gym, watch movies on it, stream, browse, take pictures. It shows no signs of ever making any of these a terrible experience.

Pretty much why I'm telling everyone I know to never buy em, they sell expensive e-waste. People buying phones every year are crazy, but it's also because after a year, their phone probably runs like shit and they've noticed. I'm so happy with my Pixel, it's the greatest phone I've ever owned. I go snowboarding with it, take it running, to the gym, watch movies on it, stream, browse, take pictures. It shows no signs of ever making any of these a terrible experience.

Okay i take back what i said the pixel 4 looks amazing, my only problem is that its got no fingerprint sensor, is there anyway to use gestures instead of the bar at the bottom

2 minutes ago, Xereth said:

Okay i take back what i said the pixel 4 looks amazing, my only problem is that its got no fingerprint sensor, is there anyway to use gestures instead of the bar at the bottom

I know mine supports some gestures, but I'm not sure on the specifics. I also know I don't use most of them.

3 minutes ago, Lord Bloobus said:

I know mine supports some gestures, but I'm not sure on the specifics. I also know I don't use most of them.

Whats the battery life like

15 minutes ago, Lord Bloobus said:

Would you reccomend waiting for the pixel 4a or going for the XL

I took a look at what's available on Voxi, and looking at your price bracket I'd probably go with the S10 Lite. It's only a little more than the A71, but is quite a bit better provided you're fine using a USBC adapter if you use headphones that have a cord.

If you need unlimited social media I'd maybe take a look at how much time you actually spend on it. You know, live your own life, don't watch others live theirs.

What exactly would you be holding out for?

1 hour ago, Lord Bloobus said:

The bloat is a problem of the past. TouchWiz was what was causing issues, and they haven't used that for years.

I've used Pixel phones. I hate them, both from a usage standpoint (aside from the camera), and the OS is too barebones for me.

1 hour ago, Lord Bloobus said:

Funny, the Pixel 4 line is known to have some of the worst battery life of most phones in the same price bracket.

49 minutes ago, Xereth said:

The Pixel has had significantly better cameras for years. It'll give pretty much all Samsung phones aside from the newest ones a serious thrashing.

40 minutes ago, Lord Bloobus said:

I upgrade every year because it just makes sense; I always have the newest phone, and after 5ish years, I've only actually spent the price for one phone after I've sold off my old ones.

18 minutes ago, Xereth said:

Would you reccomend waiting for the pixel 4a or going for the XL

The XL isn't worth getting, it's quite old. The 4a is all right but it's nothing special on any level but the camera.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I took a look at what's available on Voxi, and looking at your price bracket I'd probably go with the S10 Lite. It's only a little more than the A71, but is quite a bit better provided you're fine using a USBC adapter if you use headphones that have a cord.

If you need unlimited social media I'd maybe take a look at how much time you actually spend on it. You know, live your own life, don't watch others live theirs.

What exactly would you be holding out for?

The bloat is a problem of the past. TouchWiz was what was causing issues, and they haven't used that for years.

I've used Pixel phones. I hate them, both from a usage standpoint (aside from the camera), and the OS is too barebones for me.

Funny, the Pixel 4 line is known to have some of the worst battery life of most phones in the same price bracket.

The Pixel has had significantly better cameras for years. It'll give pretty much all Samsung phones aside from the newest ones a serious thrashing.

I upgrade every year because it just makes sense; I always have the newest phone, and after 5ish years, I've only actually spent the price for one phone after I've sold off my old ones.

The XL isn't worth getting, it's quite old. The 4a is all right but it's nothing special on any level but the camera.

Ive just been looking at the reviews for the 4a and its just a matte a71 with a much better camera thats cheaper ,as it releases on october 1st it will be supported for much longer than the s10 lite plus its £200 less making it the better choice in my opinion also the unlimited social media data is for texting my friends not looking at other peoples lives wishing i was them and as instagram uses lots of data it save alot of money

33 minutes ago, Xereth said:

Ive just been looking at the reviews for the 4a and its just a matte a71 with a much better camera thats cheaper ,as it releases on october 1st it will be supported for much longer than the s10 lite plus its £200 less making it the better choice in my opinion also the unlimited social media data is for texting my friends not looking at other peoples lives wishing i was them and as instagram uses lots of data it save alot of money

Haha, what? They're completely different devices. One has a 6.7" screen, the other has a 5.8" screen, one has expandable storage the other doesn't, Samsung has a significantly larger battery, 4a has stereo speakers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red